Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Then you haven't really spent much time in most sunbelt cities because Las Vegas, Phoenix/Scottsdale and San Diego also have a much better nightlife than Dallas by far! There is a reason 944 Magazine and The Dirty.com were founded in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area because the nightlife is sick

1. LA area
2. Miami
3. Las Vegas
4. Phoenix/Scottsdale
5. San Diego
6. Dallas
7. New Orleans
8. Austin
9. Houston
Well, Ive had fun in Phoenix. Its certainly not a boring town, but in my opinion Dallas has a better nightlife.

I did forget about Vegas, and yes it certainly has a better nightlife than Dallas. So does New Orleans (which I also overlooked). Dallas' nightlife reminds me more of San Diego's than the other sunbelt cities.

But given that this is all subjective, I dont care to debate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Well, Ive had fun in Phoenix. Its certainly not a boring town, but in my opinion Dallas has a better nightlife.

I did forget about Vegas, and yes it certainly has a better nightlife than Dallas. So does New Orleans (which I also overlooked). Dallas' nightlife reminds me more of San Diego's than the other sunbelt cities.

But given that this is all subjective, I dont care to debate it.
No wonder I was always over in Houston or New Orleans to really party and get down.

Dallas is way too conservative and family-oriented to be a true "party-town". The only people who think it's really fun are the locals or people who come down from Little Rock or Shreveport on the weekend. It's basically Oklahoma City with money and better shopping.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
I'd put NO ALOT higher on AZRivrFans list. I'd put it past Phoenix, SD, and Dallas.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
No wonder I was always over in Houston or New Orleans to really party and get down.

Dallas is way too conservative and family-oriented to be a true "party-town". The only people who think it's really fun are the locals or people who come down from Little Rock or Shreveport on the weekend. It's basically Oklahoma City with money and better shopping.
Thats not true at all. Dallas isnt what I would call a party town (niether is Houston), but it does have a great nightlife.

As I said before, Dallas has the best electronic/techno scene in this part of the country. Dallas also has the best metal scene in this part of the country. Houston is better if you like rap and hip-hop. It just depends on what you like.

Im from LA and I think Dallas is a fun town. This whole thing is subjective anyway.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
TACA is (in a lot of ways) an ethnic airline and not a business airline. They tend to cater to ethnic communities. If you look at their routings, its almost all to places where familes go (LAX/IAD/IAH/DFW/MIA/NYC/SFO-SAL, LAX/ORD-GUA). Given that and that New Orleans has a large Honduran community (mostly from San Pedro Sula), I do expect it to come back.

Quote:
As for a bigger plane, Im not sure. The loads have been pretty bad on the flight (around 50%).
I'm thinking that a 737 has better fuel economy than a EJ when flying in Tropical/Semi-Tropical climates. If they retimed it though, they would have a better chance of filling a larger plane. They would have to make it more convienent than MSY -> IAH -> Final destination.

Sorry for staying off-topic.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If we're SPECIFICALLY talking about DT nightlife, then I guess NO would win. Is Bourbon Street and the French Quarter in DT NO.
The Quarter is downtown by New Orleans' definition of the word, but not by the common def. of "downtown".

You decide.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:32 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
New Orleans may not bring in as many "international" tourists as Miami, but you don't have to ask who wins the national concensus for nightlife out of the two.

New Orleans was flooded out with tourist for the superbowl. Metro area booked solid. Many of those who went to Miami from N.O. for the superbowl came back complaining.

BTW: as far as the one flight. We can thank Katrina and the fact that it's more profitable for CO, DL, & AA to connect intl flights in Houston, Atlanta, and Miami then it is the come to New Orleans. Also, ask someone from Central America, South America, France, or the UK about New Orleans. Also look up how many intl flights come to N.O. that stop somewhere along the way. I think Continental flight 4 might be an example. Look up the foreign cruises that come in and the seasonal British Airways and Monarch charters.

What do Russians having homes in Miami have to do with nightlife?
I was debating whether Miami was more known internationally for any reaons but especially its night life. When people have second homes in an area from abroad most of the time it means that city is a bit more famous and well known then others such as New Orleans. I would not agree that it is a concesus that NOLA has a better night life. If you asked the general 21-30 year old where they would want to spend a weekend (expect for Mardi Graus of course) I would not be surprised if Miami was on top. Better weather, beaches, more famous clubs etc.. But as I have said before best nighlife is all up to personal opinion.

Dont bring up a few charter flights or cruises to compare that with Miami (if that is what you meant to do) Miami has the two largest cruise ship ports in the world and its secondary airport FLL has more international passengers then New Orleans.
As for CO flight 4 that flight is a LHR-IAH-MSY but the LHR-IAD leg is a 767 while the IAH-MSY leg is a 737 so it is not the same plane and the flight number continuing does not mean much.

As for the flights continuing on New Orleans does not get any Heavy aircraft so sure those flight numbers might continue on but non of those planes are coming from long haul destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
LOL, I can only assume that you were kidding.
Compared to Miami yes. Boston is a huge college city tons of schools and students. DC as not on the same level of Boston is also a huge college city with lots of schools and students in the area. Both these cities night lifes revolve around college kids. I know I go to school in DC.

Quote:
No, its not Katrina that is the reason that MSY doesnt have more nonstop destinations. New Orleans is an extremely low-yielding destination for the airlines. The airlines might not have a problem filling a plane from (for example) MSY to Europe, but they wouldnt make a dime doing it. Areomexico is struggling with its MSY-Mexico City route. Taca could probably come back with its San Pedro Sula-New Orleans route, but it would break even at best.

Most of New Orleans international traffic goes through Atlanta, Houston, Miami, DFW, Chicago , and DC. These destinations are all high-yielding business destinations. New Orleans is in the same boat Las Vegas and Orlando. The problem is that both Vegas and Orlando see more traffic from overseas, so they can support a flight with planes that have few premium seats.

If New Orleans could support on overseas flight, it would be Virgin to London Gatwick or on a charter airline on a plane that has:

1) Only economy seats
2) Very few premium seats

Ive spent time on behalf of several companies in the New Orleans trying to negotiate service to Europe. The airlines didnt want any of it. The only way they said they would be interested in flying New Orleans to Europe would be if there was a revenue guarentee (similar to Americans Raleigh/Durham-London flight). So far, no takers.
Pefectly said! If New Orleans had enough international tourist to even try to compete with Miami they would probably have a Virgin 747 or Crosair 747 flying there like Orlando or Vegas does but they do not get the numbers to even fill in a weekly year round flight. That shows the small amount of international tourist they get.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Compared to Miami yes. Boston is a huge college city tons of schools and students. DC as not on the same level of Boston is also a huge college city with lots of schools and students in the area. Both these cities night lifes revolve around college kids. I know I go to school in DC.
IN DC? Hardly. You do have areas that are catered to the college crowd. But you have more areas that are NOT catered to the college kids. I'm sorry but DC is not a college town.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:39 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The Quarter is downtown by New Orleans' definition of the word, but not by the common def. of "downtown".

You decide.
The Quarter fronts on Canal Street, arguably NOLA's 'Main Street'. I'd call that downtown.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I was debating whether Miami was more known internationally for any reaons but especially its night life. When people have second homes in an area from abroad most of the time it means that city is a bit more famous and well known then others such as New Orleans. I would not agree that it is a concesus that NOLA has a better night life. If you asked the general 21-30 year old where they would want to spend a weekend (expect for Mardi Graus of course) I would not be surprised if Miami was on top. Better weather, beaches, more famous clubs etc.. But as I have said before best nighlife is all up to personal opinion.
What can I do in Miami that I can't do here? In my opinion, with the exception of the beach, I can do almost everything that can be done in on South Beach in a more relaxed and more fun atmosphere.

New Orleans is warmer in the summer by 10 and cooler in the winter by 10 on average. That means with the exception of a few lows and highs, the weather is actually close.

Quote:
Dont bring up a few charter flights or cruises to compare that with Miami (if that is what you meant to do) Miami has the two largest cruise ship ports in the world and its secondary airport FLL has more international passengers then New Orleans.
As for CO flight 4 that flight is a LHR-IAH-MSY but the LHR-IAD leg is a 767 while the IAH-MSY leg is a 737 so it is not the same plane and the flight number continuing does not mean much.

As for the flights continuing on New Orleans does not get any Heavy aircraft so sure those flight numbers might continue on but non of those planes are coming from long haul destinations.
I didn't bring it up to compare it to Miami. I brought it up to show that New Orleans is well known internationally. For every foreigner that you run into that isn't familiar with New Orleans, rest assured that there is one somewhere who doesn't recognize Miami. The average foreigner probably thinks of the U.S. as New York, Los Angeles, and Texas.

Quote:
Pefectly said! If New Orleans had enough international tourist to even try to compete with Miami they would probably have a Virgin 747 or Crosair 747 flying there like Orlando or Vegas does but they do not get the numbers to even fill in a weekly year round flight. That shows the small amount of international tourist they get.
You just can't wrap this one around can you? LANatives response actually backed up what I said, not your post. Tourist have little effect on intl flights, since the avg. tourist may fill up the plan but not even break even the profit. The airline get there profits from the business travelers and first class passengers who only make up a small portion of the flight. Intl business drives the airlines, not intl tourism. Notice where the majority of MIA's intl flights go. Places with a high immigrant O&D and places with strong business ties to the city, plus the fact that Miami is a hub for American (Ding-Dong... umm connections..).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The Quarter fronts on Canal Street, arguably NOLA's 'Main Street'. I'd call that downtown.
By New Orleans def. Anything downriver from Canal is Downtown and anything upriver is Uptown. Therefore the Quarter is the beginning of Downtown and the Business District is the beginning of Uptown. Most would consider the CBD as "downtown" so it's w.e.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-18-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City