Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 08:49 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times

Advertisements

New Orleans is consistently rated far too highly. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who believes that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I can agree with the idea that they are in the same tier and that was what I was attempting to convey in my previous message. However, I do not think the Richmond metro is in a higher tier than Hampton Roads; I would give a slight edge to the Tidewater region at the moment. With that said, I think Richmond is a better city than Norfolk, although I like Norfolk and believe it is chronically underrated on this forum. I wish Richmond contained some aspects of Norfolk such as light rail and I wish Norfolk had some aspects of Richmond such as more retained urban neighborhoods/visible history (Norfolk destroyed 90 percent of the inner core in the 50's). I'm glad that Richmond has progressed so much over the past 10 years because I can remember a time in the 90's and early 2000's where the city had some of the highest murder rates in the country and the economy seemed to decline. What events do you think led up to the rebirth and mass gentrification of Richmond?
I agree with all of this. I was gone from the city from 2005-2016, so I missed much of the transformation. I'll tell you what I do remember, when the city hired Rodney Monroe as police chief around '04 or '05. Monroe has/d a heavy record as a successful police chief. He initiated a culture change in the Richmond police force that brought violent crime down every year on his tenure, including that historic (for this city) drop in '08 or '09. His policing had a major effect on gentrification...

I'd only been back to visit about 10 times in the 11 years I was gone, never for longer than two days. Each time I came back, though, I noticed massive changes. I remember when Jackson Ward/Carver was a literal war zone, my mom was friends with a jazz player from there. It's astonishing to see the expansion of VCU as well, which, when I was growing up, was literally nothing East of Broad. Now, VCU has crossed Broad, encroaching onto the cusp of historic neighborhoods, and VCU facilities line broad for it seems a strong half mile. I'd be interested myself in learning how VCU became the force that it is today. I think the consensus is that VCU is a Top 4 university in The Commonwealth nowadays, and I'm not sure that was the case 15+ years ago. It's profile has certainly risen in prominence and helped fuel the reimagination and rebirth of Richmond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 03:46 AM

570 posts, read 560,053 times
Tier 1:
Atlanta
DFW
Houston
Miami

Tier 2:
Charlotte
Nashville
Austin
San Antonio
Orlando
Tampa

Tier 3:
New Orleans
Louisville
Richmond
OKC
Jacksonville
Raleigh
Birmingham
Memphis
Hampton Roads

Tier 4:
Little Rock
Charleston
Savannah
Greenville
Columbia
Knoxville
Baton Rouge
Winston Salem
Tulsa

Tier 5:
Augusta
Corpus Christi
Myrtle Beach
Jackson
Huntsville
Wilmington
Asheville
Montgomery

Made a few changes.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:18 AM

686 posts, read 621,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I'm incorporating various aspects. While Orlando, Tampa, and San Antonio seem to have the larger numbers, but New Orleans actually functions like an actual "city."
Interesting. I'd like to know your definition of "actual city" in this case, because on the surface your post makes no sense.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:59 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Tier 1:
Atlanta
DFW
Houston
Miami

Tier 2:
Charlotte
Nashville
Austin
San Antonio
Orlando
Tampa

Tier 3:
New Orleans
Louisville
Richmond
OKC
Jacksonville
Raleigh
Birmingham
Memphis
Hampton Roads

Tier 4:
Little Rock
Charleston
Savannah
Greenville
Columbia
Knoxville
Baton Rouge
Winston Salem
Tulsa

Tier 5:
Augusta
Corpus Christi
Myrtle Beach
Jackson
Huntsville
Wilmington
Asheville
Montgomery

Made a few changes.
Where would you place Chattanooga and Lexington?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 AM

992 posts, read 875,288 times
Quote:
Tier 1:
Atlanta
DFW
Houston
Miami

Tier 2:
Charlotte
Nashville
Austin
San Antonio
Orlando
Tampa

Tier 3:
New Orleans
Louisville
Richmond
OKC
Jacksonville
Raleigh
Birmingham
Memphis
Hampton Roads

Tier 4:
Little Rock
Charleston
Savannah
Greenville
Columbia
Knoxville
Baton Rouge
Winston Salem
Tulsa

Tier 5:
Augusta
Corpus Christi
Myrtle Beach
Jackson
Huntsville
Wilmington
Asheville
Montgomery

Made a few changes.
I completely agree with this, but would add Chattanooga and Lexington to tier 4.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:18 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Interesting. I'd like to know your definition of "actual city" in this case, because on the surface your post makes no sense.
New Orleans has multiple universities, an active downtown, various significant neighborhoods, museums, weekly local events, daytime activities/nightlife, density, and etc. Only negatives about New Orleans is the crime, stagnant population growth, underwhelming metro area, and the lack of economical diversity.

Tampa, to be highly regarded as it is, shoots well below it's weight. Same with Orlando, and San Antonio.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:20 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Tier 1:
Atlanta
DFW
Houston
Miami

Tier 2:
Charlotte
Nashville
Austin
San Antonio
Orlando
Tampa

Tier 3:
New Orleans
Louisville
Richmond
OKC
Jacksonville
Raleigh
Birmingham
Memphis
Hampton Roads

Tier 4:
Little Rock
Charleston
Savannah
Greenville
Columbia
Knoxville
Baton Rouge
Winston Salem
Tulsa

Tier 5:
Augusta
Corpus Christi
Myrtle Beach
Jackson
Huntsville
Wilmington
Asheville
Montgomery

Made a few changes.
Hampton Roads Tier 3? That's being generous.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
A few changes would be Greensboro in tier 4. Savannah in tier 5. Chattanooga is headed towards tier 4. Other tier 5 cities include Roanoke, Charleston WV, Lexington, Tallahassee, Macon and Columbus GA.
Even based on population alone, Savannah is not in the same tier as Charleston WV, Columbus GA or Macon GA -- though Savannah might not yet be in the same league as Charleston SC. Savannah is placed in a higher tier than those other cities you named because (1) it's a bit larger and growing much faster in population (+9% in the last 5 years) and (2) it's reached a higher level of prominence and prestige than the others. Macon and Roanoke are small potatoes: smaller and more provincial than Savannah. Lexington KY and Tallahassee are nice cities, but they're college towns like Athens GA. Columbus and Macon are in decline or in a state of flattened growth. Savannah is at a higher level.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:05 AM

686 posts, read 621,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
New Orleans has multiple universities, an active downtown, various significant neighborhoods, museums, weekly local events, daytime activities/nightlife, density, and etc.]
Tampa and Orlando have that all of that as well, and unlike Nawlins the population growth is explosive.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of New Orleans, I just think you're wrong about Tampa and Orlando. Only been to San Antonio a couple times a decade ago. Didn't think much of the area.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:20 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Savannah has an urban area of 260K, below Augusta, Jackson, Tallahassee, Huntsville and Asheville.

I think with Lexington people look at the city population and don't realize with a metro government that number includes the suburbs and surrounding rural areas. Lexington has an urban area of 290K, right next to Huntsville and Asheville.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Last edited by creeksitter; 02-25-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City