Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 06:16 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtrent View Post
I think our budget would be around 1200$ a month. Just in general we like suburban feel.
So you are looking to rent then? An apartment or a house? How many beds and baths?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
So you are looking to rent then? An apartment or a house? How many beds and baths?
We are looking to rent and we'd love a house or townhome. Preferably 3 bedroom 1.5 bath.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:19 PM

That budget is a little tight for renting a 3 bedroom house. You could probably find a half duplex in Shaker or a full house in Cleveland Heights (some parts of CH may not be suburban enough for your tastes, and the commute wouldn't be great, though). I'd be surprised to find any 3 bedroom rentals in Solon that cheap besides an apartment.

Maybe Lyndhurst or South Euclid?

Old 04-09-2018, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,224 times
Default More recommendations

Quote:

Maybe Lyndhurst or South Euclid?

Thank you ferraris for the recommendations. We found some great stuff in both locations. We've changed gears and are looking into Cuyahoga Falls possibly now. How is that area for safety/affordability?

Also, we're going to have to change banks in the move. We're currently with a credit union we love, any suggestions for great credit unions in the Solon area with convenient locations?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 6,562 times
We're looking for some neighborhood advice. I work at Case and the husband works in Warrensville Heights, currently we're commuting from Westlake, but we're looking to buy in an affordable neighborhood closer to both of our jobs. We would like to buy under 220k, and don't want to gouged by RITA/CCA taxes! We're planning for kids, so schools are not a top priority at the moment. I just want a safe neighborhood where I won't be scared sitting outside at night, and preferably a newer house. We were considering building a smaller house in S. Euclid, but didn't love a lot of the streets where we could build on. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2018, 08:51 AM

Pkim, what do you consider to be a "newer" house? $220K is pretty limiting as far as new construction goes.

Off the top of my head, and ignoring the "newer" requirement, I suggest the cluster of Lyndhurst, South Euclid, University Heights, Shaker Heights, and Cleveland Heights. Maybe even Highland Hills or Warrensville Heights itself since you don't care about school district; some of the streets are fairly quiet and you could come in way under budget and save on RITA for your husband.

Quote:
We were considering building a smaller house in S. Euclid
Can you build a new house at that price point? The Shaker Heights land bank has vacant lots that are basically free if you build a new house on them.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:51 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim3011 View Post
We're looking for some neighborhood advice. I work at Case and the husband works in Warrensville Heights, currently we're commuting from Westlake, but we're looking to buy in an affordable neighborhood closer to both of our jobs. We would like to buy under 220k, and don't want to gouged by RITA/CCA taxes! We're planning for kids, so schools are not a top priority at the moment. I just want a safe neighborhood where I won't be scared sitting outside at night, and preferably a newer house. We were considering building a smaller house in S. Euclid, but didn't love a lot of the streets where we could build on. Thanks in advance!
If you don't want to pay additional municipal income taxes, limit your housing search for communities with 100 percent residential income tax rates, and municipal income tax rates less than Cleveland's 2 1/2 percent.

If this actually is a priority, make a list of the communities which meet this qualification and which also interest you and offers houses within in your budget requirements. Don't rule out communities in western Lake County (Wickliffe, Willowick, Willoughby Hills, Willoughby, Eastlake), western Geauga County and northern Portage County and northern Summit County. All of these communities would beat commutes from Westlake!!! Perhaps you're willing to pay 1/2 percent more in municipal income taxes, maybe not, for the right situation. And don't forget that townships do not assess municipal income taxes.

Also consider that real estate taxes may sufficiently lower in a community to offset any increase in municipal income taxes. Keep in mind that the new federal tax bill limits the deduction for all state and local taxes to $10,000.

Beachwood immediately comes to mind as a community that would be ideal for your commutes, with a 100 percent residential income tax credit, and very low real estate tax rates. I'm not certain if you can find a house there for $220k which would be acceptable to you. Each county has a list of effective real tax rates for all communities in that county.

Looking at the following chart, perhaps also check out Highland Hts., Mayfield Hts., Mayfield Village, Orange, Orange/Warrensville, Solon/Orange, and Woodmere in Cuyahoga County. I didn't research municipal income tax rates and residential tax credits for these communities.

https://treasurer.cuyahogacounty.us/...evyImpacts.pdf

Lake County has several communities with more reasonable real estate tax rates.

http://www.lakecountyohio.gov/Portal...-31-153928-960

Also, while Euclid has very high taxes, it may have much more affordable housing that more than offsets that tax burdens, especially as you don't care about schools. When Amazon's massive distribution center opens in a few years, Euclid's tax burden actually may be lowered (a guess, and one that is not educated).

When you've done the research, and posted the communities of interest here, list them and we may be able to offer some feedback.

Good luck!

Last edited by WRnative; 05-08-2018 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Pkim, what do you consider to be a "newer" house? $220K is pretty limiting as far as new construction goes.

Off the top of my head, and ignoring the "newer" requirement, I suggest the cluster of Lyndhurst, South Euclid, University Heights, Shaker Heights, and Cleveland Heights. Maybe even Highland Hills or Warrensville Heights itself since you don't care about school district; some of the streets are fairly quiet and you could come in way under budget and save on RITA for your husband.

Can you build a new house at that price point? The Shaker Heights land bank has vacant lots that are basically free if you build a new house on them.
I believe that you can build a very small house (1300 sq/ft) in S. Euclid for under 200k. It's a very small lot and not the most desirable obviously, but doable.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
If you don't want to pay additional municipal income taxes, limit your housing search for communities with 100 percent residential income tax rates, and municipal income tax rates less than Cleveland's 2 1/2 percent.

If this actually is a priority, make a list of the communities which meet this qualification and which also interest you and offers houses within in your budget requirements. Don't rule out communities in western Lake County (Wickliffe, Willowick, Willoughby Hills, Willoughby, Eastlake), western Geauga County and northern Portage County and northern Summit County. All of these communities would beat commutes from Westlake!!! Perhaps you're willing to pay 1/2 percent more in municipal income taxes, maybe not, for the right situation. And don't forget that townships do not assess municipal income taxes.

Also consider that real estate taxes may sufficiently lower in a community to offset any increase in municipal income taxes. Keep in mind that the new federal tax bill limits the deduction for all state and local taxes to $10,000.

Beachwood immediately comes to mind as a community that would be ideal for your commutes, with a 100 percent residential income tax credit, and very low real estate tax rates. I'm not certain if you can find a house there for $220k which would be acceptable to you. Each county has a list of effective real tax rates for all communities in that county.

Looking at the following chart, perhaps also check out Highland Hts., Mayfield Hts., Mayfield Village, Orange, Orange/Warrensville, Solon/Orange, and Woodmere in Cuyahoga County. I didn't research municipal income tax rates and residential tax credits for these communities.

https://treasurer.cuyahogacounty.us/...evyImpacts.pdf

Lake County has several communities with more reasonable real estate tax rates.

http://www.lakecountyohio.gov/Portal...-31-153928-960

Also, while Euclid has very high taxes, it may have much more affordable housing that more than offsets that tax burdens, especially as you don't care about schools. When Amazon's massive distribution center opens in a few years, Euclid's tax burden actually may be lowered (a guess, and one that is not educated).

When you've done the research, and posted the communities of interest here, list them and we may be able to offer some feedback.

Good luck!
Thanks, this is super helpful! Do you have any townships that you recommend? We're not originally from the CLE area so figuring out neighborhoods have been a doozy! I've been extensively searching and looking at all the neighborhoods but don't hear too much about townships.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:50 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim3011 View Post
Thanks, this is super helpful! Do you have any townships that you recommend? We're not originally from the CLE area so figuring out neighborhoods have been a doozy! I've been extensively searching and looking at all the neighborhoods but don't hear too much about townships.
Perhaps look at Twinsburg in Summit County or communities within the West Geauga and Kenston school districts in Geauga County.

If you look up the Wikipedia article for any county, it lists all of the political subdivisions, including townships.

Chagrin Falls Township is the only one on the East Side in Cuyahoga County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyaho...Ohio#Townships

There are several townships in Geauga County with Chester, Russell, Bainbridge, and Auburn offering you the most convenient commutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geauga...Ohio#Townships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland