Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 AM

169 posts, read 583,149 times

Advertisements

At one point in the past there was a sign that said "St. James by the Sea" on the corner of 72nd Street and Oak Island Drive. I assumed that it referred to our beach club, the entrance to the parking lot is on 72nd street. The sign was there in 2003 when I moved here but it subsequently disappeared. Those homes are on that block. It's a mystery. bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Well, further investigation reveals that the properties mentioned above are part of a beach community called "St. James by the Sea" created by the same developer as St. James Plantation.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:18 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,909 times
Default St. James by the Sea

Yet it has no connection to THE St. James Plantation---nor is there a street by that name on Oak Island----I do remember there was a section of lots on the south side of Oak Island that were supposed to be a small enclave called "Turtle" something, that never got off the ground after building a few upscale homes. Still puzzling to me.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM

Well in fact they have membership access to the St. James Beach Club. The block between 71st st and 72nd st encompasses the aforementioned houses and once had a sign that read "St. James by the Sea". At the end of that block on the beach is our beach club.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:56 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,909 times
Thanks for the information CrimsonDregs.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
Well in fact they have membership access to the St. James Beach Club. The block between 71st st and 72nd st encompasses the aforementioned houses and once had a sign that read "St. James by the Sea". At the end of that block on the beach is our beach club.
Bill, thank you for your investigation

Do you know how many homes are in this development? Are they "spec" homes or is the developer selling lots?

There is no HOA fee, just a beach house fee of 420.00? Any access to other amenities in St James?

Thanks for the info

Old 01-26-2012, 03:42 PM

140 posts, read 316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
If I read it right, an article in the State Port Pilot just mentioned that the owner of that property wants to subdive the property up which I am assume means no more Lowes Food Store.

Ron W.
Well it looks like Lowes Food will start construction in 2 weeks at the Midway Rd/Rte 211 site..

I'd rather have a Harris Teeter but Lowes will do.

Ron W.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
Stone,

I am going to visit my Lot in St. James on Saturday, January 28th. Are you going to be around?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Sorry I missed your message, I think Stoney and spouse are on a cruise.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,151 times
Default Unexpected Surprise

We made a trip up the east coast looking for a place to retire. We figured now would be a good time to buy since the housing market has taken a crash. We traveled from Fl to NC stopping at various places along the way. To be honest St James was not really at the top of our list but it was a good stopping point, and since we agreed to take the "packaged tour" it was very inexpensive. We expected a high pressure pitch but instead we got a coupon for a very nice dinner at one of the clubs, a round of golf, tennis on the clay courts, a day at a very nice private beach club and three days in a beautiful condo in the marina. All this for less than $400. Well, it worked. We bought a lot in the marina at what I believe was a very good price and we hope to retire in a few years.

If you are interested I would suggest you sign up for the tour. It only lasted a couple of hours; the rest of the time we were left to explore the community and enjoy the facilities on our own. At least in our experience there was NO pressure to buy. For us the place sold itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina