Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,507,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Yup. There are a couple of ways to do this. Some security systems have these controls available with special thermostats, etc. Some other companies utilize modules that hook up with an ethernet cable to your cable modem. On the other end is a module which communicates wirelessly with special thermostats to control heating/AC and lights. It is pretty cool. It is a little pricy now, but that will change as more companies compete for this business.
Wow!!
This is the first i have heard of something like this. I am sure I will contact you at a later date for more information. Thank you very much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM

805 posts, read 2,006,728 times
Informational / FYI type tidbit # 306B.....

The commandant and I attended the St James Valentine dinner dance last evening across the street at the new Community Center. 400 attendees, many decked out in red. Very nice affair, 16 piece orchestra in tuxedos, and a dancing demonstration by some local dancers. Very nice buffet with prime rib carving station and all the trimmings by a local caterer. Nice time was had by all.... at our table were the CrimsonDregs's, the Ken Keegan's and another lovely couple we have become friends with.... I must say a bit too much chuckling was on the menu but we survived. There were similar sold out affairs at the Members Club and the Players Club.

Tommy Thompsons' re-opened yesterday after a weeklong fix-up / adjustment.... included is a newly enlarged specialty deli section with cold cuts, salads and specialty sandwiches.... looks very promising. Full house there tonight, had the soup and salad bar before coming home to our lovely rented townhouse.

About 55 degrees out and calm tonight at 7:30pm, the ten minute walk back from Tommy's was nice..... got up to 68 degrees and sunny today, had a cigar on a bench down at the waterfront this afternoon in the sun, in the breeze, watching the sea gulls dart around...... life is good.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 02-15-2012 at 05:47 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM

78 posts, read 199,871 times
After reading all the positives about SJP,I hope the first offer on my house here is a good one because I will probably take it.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM

There is always hope !

Think positively... a bright future awaits !

Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,507,487 times
Default Update from Bill

MEMBER2MEMBERNEWS

ST. JAMES IS HUMMING

When is the last time you saw this many houses being built in St. James, or any where? There are houses going up in every neighborhood and it kinda looks like it did about 3 or 4 years ago. It's a good feeling and it is good to see so many people back to work. I talked to Bob Duffy, General Manager of Real Estate, and he tells me that sales are very brisk as well. New models are being built in Regency Park, the Woodlands, and Seaside.

This week-end St. James is hosting 40 couples who are potential buyers. Normally in February a sales week-end draws about 20 couples, so having 40 couples coming here is another sign that things are improving. I could save these visiting couples a ton of time and just tell them to buy here -- St. James is the best deal going.

I took a ride down to the Marina earlier today to check it out since it re-opened earlier this week. There is a band new floor, fresh paint, and all new deli cases and equipment. I saw that one of the new deli cases was stocked with Boars Head meats and cheeses. I spoke with Assistant Manager Michelle Moretz and asked her how the prices for Boars Head products she sells, compare with the same products at Lowes. She said that the Marina store's prices are a little cheaper. Wow! That's cool. I have no idea, but I know some folks will compare the two. But if they are competitive, I would hope we will all support the Marina store. They also make deli sandwiches there now. Also check out the menu in the restaurant as well. My favorite meal at Tommy Thompsons is breakfast -- the breakfast sandwich is the best deal in town.

While I was down at the Marina I ran into Judy and Don Mundy, they were sitting at a table soaking in the sun. How nice are those two folks? By the way, I was down there in a tee shirt -- this weather is incredible. Anyway, I love talking to the Mundys -- they are so positive and upbeat. They love life and they love living here. They have been here forever, I think they moved in here right before Homer Wright bought the property. You know, it is always good to hang around with positive people -- life is too short to hang with grumps.

I'M BETTER ORGANIZED NOW

I have a basket on my front porch with a sign that says Hospice checks. By the way, on Monday afternoon, Dave Pearce (I can't operate without this guy -- he is one of the most generous people in St. James) and I rode out to Honalee Farm and Stables to work with the owners on the logistics for our Dinner on 3/15. It is going to be so cool. Great food, great band and dancing, silent and live auctions, and a horse barrel racing exhibition in the horse rink on the farm. We can tour the barn and tack room and pet the horses while having our drinks and hors d'oeuvres -- maybe do a little dancing. This is something a little different than what we usually do so I hope many of you can come. It is only $50 per person -- make your checks out to LCFH Foundation and drop them in the basket on my porch (3229 Wexford Way). I will deliver your tickets and directions to the farm later next week. Hey, so far, I haven't heard from our Reserve Dudes -- com'on, I need someone to pick on at the event. Remember all this money goes to build our County's Hospice Center and we are almost at our goal. By the way, if you can't make the event, the basket will also take donations. Thanks.

COLONOSCOPY

You know, there have been way too many jokes about colonoscopies, right? I drove "The Wife" to Wilmington this morning for her 5 year check up. All is good. Anyway, I was sitting with "The Wife" in recovery and the nurse came in to give me instructions on what she could and could not do for the rest of the day. No driving for 24 hours, no nothing, just rest etc. The nurse then asked if I had any questions and I said I did. I mean you can't pass up an opportunity like this, especially when you have a dedicated and sincere nurse. I said I understood her instructions, but I asked, "Would it be all right if later today, "The Wife" could go up a ladder"? The nurse looked forlorn and her right eye had the slightest of twitches. I quickly added, "Oh, I don't mean up on the roof of the house, just up to where she can see and clean the gutters". By now she was twitching pretty good and told me no ladder work for "The Wife" today. Nice nurse -- we had some laughs.

I haven't told you this story, at least I don't think I did. No problem, because most of you can't remember past last week anyway. Here goes. About 20 years ago we were living in Orlando, FL and for some reason I went to see a Rear Admiral and he said he wanted to do a Colonoscopy and I wasn't sure what that was but I said OK -- hell, I'm an Irish Catholic kid and whatever a Doctor or a Priest says is law. Anyway, I arrive at Winter Park Hospital all cleaned out from the night before and I go to the room where they do these things and meet Holly who is to be with me throughout the procedure. I go in a cubicle, get undressed and put on a gown and Holly is all cheerful and whatnot and tells me to get on the table and the Doctor will be in shortly. I am very naive, but I see this long colonoscope on the end of a long wire and I asked Holly it that tool was going in me and cheerfully she said yes, but it is not painful. Now I get to thinking. I get a digital exam of my prostate from my internist and that about sends me to Mars and this tool is a hell of lot thicker and longer than a finger. Now I am sweating bullets and I am up on my side facing the wall and the Doctor and his team come in and he starts the procedure. No anesthetic. No dope. Not even a drag on a weed. I want to tell you that several of them had to hold me down on the table -- I thought I would burst. After he inserts that baton, he shoots air in and you start to levitate. I don't know how long it lasted, it seemed like a day or two. Finally the Rear Admiral and his team left and now it is just cheerful Holly and me. I wanted to kill her -- I wanted to kill everybody. She said, "Now that wasn't so bad, was it Mr. McCormack?" I said, "I'll tell you what Holly, you jump up on that table and let me do you and we'll see how bad it is." She then told me that I could go back and sit in my cubicle but she told me not to get dressed because if the pictures don't come out, we will do it again. WE'LL DO IT AGAIN? WE'LL DO IT AGAIN? No Holly, not today, not tomorrow, not ever. I never got dressed so fast in my life. I told Holly I don't care if I have cancer from my butt to my tongue, you are not putting that night stick in my butt again.

This is an absolutely true story. Several weeks later, I was speaking with my college roommate on the phone and he said he was going in for a Colonoscopy and I said, "Tom, don't do it, it's the worst pain in the world". I spoke with him the day after his procedure, and he said it was a piece of cake, that they put him under and he did not feel a thing. I was pisssed. I think everyone should experience the pain I did. I found out that the Rear Admiral that did me was the only Doctor in Central FL who did not give an anesthetic. He was an old timer, who did not believe in an anesthetic for a colonoscopy.

Throughout the years, I have always wondered what Holly and her friends talk about at lunch or if they can even eat lunch.

POTPOURRI

Save these dates. May 3 -- Sheriff's Charity Ball at the Community Center. September 8 -- Military Appreciation Day -- Golf and picnic.

New Store. At least new to us. On Saturday, we stopped at Greenlands Farmstore on Midway Road -- it's about 5 miles out on Midway Rd on the right hand side. A very neat store. Lots of organic and natural farm goods. Plus homemade ice cream and breads and baked goods. Check it out.

"I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize". -- Steven Wright

Talk to you all next week -- please remember our Hospice event and the basket on my front porch. Thanks, talk to you all next week.

Bill McCormack

Member2membernews@gmail.com

Old 02-18-2012, 05:03 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,428,114 times
Stoney. I know you have been on the "scene" for a few months now and are in the process of building your own home. I also believe you have been in the "business" in a past life. What is your assesment of the homes you have visited and the unit you are renting from a quality standpoint? Still 4-5 years out but planning.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Actually, everything I see is pretty good stuff, they're still standing anyway..... there are literally about 40 different "builders" that build in here ( now plus one ), after speaking at length with over a dozen or so, personally I would only use a handfull of them.... but that's just me..... in addition, many of them are "quantity" builders that build only a few models and won't change anything much, the few I would use are "custom" guys that will do anything you want.... for $ of course. But, just like everywhere and back up North, 2x4's are 2x4's, shingles are shingles and brick and hardiplank are all the same, the difference is usually in the grade of finishes, that's what brings the price up, more amenities and higher grade appliances and electronics, etc. Condo's, townhouses and lower priced homes don't seem to be of lesser quality workmanship, the differences are in the finishes and extras. Of course, having said all that, I HAVE heard the same horror stories from individuals about their builder and the experience they had and what they had to go through to fix the screw-ups, but again THAT happens everywhere too.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 02-18-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 10:25 AM

383 posts, read 892,842 times
Spring is around the corner have my house plans, feel like setting up a tent on my nice piece of land!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM

PonyPride, congratulations, very exciting indeed..... putting up a tent may not be so bad with warm weather just around the corner.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 PM

383 posts, read 892,842 times
Yeah, but i will probably get my ass kicked by the POA, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina