Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 AM

805 posts, read 2,010,889 times

Advertisements

Dan Dan, by the numbers.....

1) The pools are generally open on April 1st til November 1st, sometimes a bit earlier and later due to the weather..... to get the best picture of everything in bloom and outdoor restaurants operating at 100% I would come between those dates.

2) ALL of them.... but it doesn't matter which "neighborhood" one lives in, in our experience everyone is welcome at all functions.

3) IMO I would not say there are a "LOT" ( another subjective term ) of bank owned lots, but the ones that are bank owned, just like everywhere else, are scattered throughout the entire plantation with no rhyme or reason..... just like in Mass, bad times / investments know no geographic boundaries.

4) "Many" is a subjective description, and there is no way to actually tell who might be working from home or not, having said that there are some people that go out to work everyday, again hard to count.... they tell me that upwards of 70% of home owners are full time residents.... with the rest either using St James as a vacation spot or waiting for the opportunity to retire or build and get here full time.

5) The only thing that I would be concerned about is when you visit the other plantations, their financial condition ( very important ) and did they build, complete any amenities as promised ( many have not ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM

78 posts, read 200,151 times
Dan Dan

I agree with Stonecreek and his observations.As far as bank owned lots,I just bought one in an area that we really like at what we feel is a great price.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,825 times
Stonecreek & Texas Tim -

Thanks for your replies. I believe, from reading this thread, that both of you have purchased lots at SJP. Were there any sections/areas that you focused on when you were looking to buy? If so, which areas?

Also, my reference to bank owned lots was not meant to be a negative but rather to highlight a possible buying opportunity! As was correctly pointed out, my reference to "a lot" of bank owned lots was an exageration....

Thanks,

Dan

Old 02-28-2012, 05:12 PM

Yes, we moved here about six months ago from NJ.... getting ready to build next month..... there aren't any less desirable areas here in St James if that's what you mean, you really need to drive through the entire place..... and more than once..... to get a feel for the neghborhood you might want to live in.... closer to the main gate, back gate, closer to the Marina, closer to the different clubhouses..... areas with bigger lots, smaller lots, older more built up neighborhoods and newer not yet settled very much neighborhoods..... that's why a personal site visit is necessary for any plantation or community you may be investigating.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM

383 posts, read 894,444 times
I recommend that you get a site map from the sales office so you can see where the properties are located. I purchased a golf course foreclosure lot, but many other bank owned lots are interior or odd shaped. Also, most lots, with the exception of the Reserve are 1/4 of an acre with the reserve lots being 1/3 of an acre or larger. Also, the set back lines are different. The reserve has 10' setback lines on the sides in the Reserve and the other sections are 5' setback lines. Obviously, with the latter, the homes are closer together.

I love all sections of SJP. Stone was right on with all his answers. When you look at other communities you have to focus on their financial stability, status of ammenities and location.

We are happy to help you out on this forum. I am finalizing my builder and hope to start construction in late April/early May.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 AM

Can anyone recommend a cell phone service with good reception at SJP.We had some problems with T-Mobile while there this past summer.May have been just our phone.Our cell contract is coming up and may want to switch.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:50 AM

We have Verizon, which is a clear signal everywhere we go in St James, Southport, Oak Island and Wilmington.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the info. We will be back down the end of april and try the phone again

Old 03-01-2012, 05:22 AM

19,469 posts, read 28,021,741 times
We are considering relocating to this area and are visiting the area for the next two weeks. One of my husband's requirements is a couple of good pool halls or bars with pool tables where he can find some fellow pleasnt pool addicts who play the game well. He currently plays five afternoons a week and occasionally an evening tournament.

He drives up to 45 minutes now, and obviously he would prefer to drive less. Any suggestions where he can go to assure that the local pool scene is going to satisfy him?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 AM

19,469 posts, read 28,021,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We are considering relocating to this area and are visiting the area for the next two weeks. One of my husband's requirements is a couple of good pool halls or bars with pool tables where he can find some fellow pleasnt pool addicts who play the game well. He currently plays five afternoons a week and occasionally an evening tournament.

He drives up to 45 minutes now, and obviously he would prefer to drive less. Any suggestions where he can go to assure that the local pool scene is going to satisfy him?
We toured SJP yesterday. Lovely lovely community. Sadly, the local amenities, restaurants and conveniences available in the immediate area and Southport did not impress us nearly as much as SJP. And not a single pool hall closer than Wilmington.

For the husband, who plays pool 5X per week, 4-6 hours per day, the 45+ minute drive to Wilmington (on two lane roads or a ferry) make SJP and Southport a non-starter.

Interestingly, we had the opportunity to speak to two homeowners while we were there. One is selling their home after one year, the other has lived there 3-4 years. Both stated that the community was too far away from "everything" for them. Main reason for selling for the person with the house already listed (who admitted that it was a mistake for them to have bought in the first place). The other resident said they would probably move if they ever got tired of playing golf. (we are not golfers)

As always, different strokes for different folks. We envy you your beautiful, friendly community. But for our desires, the location is a permanent flaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina