Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 01:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,527,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No you won't. Because you won't have the television eyes to keep anyone interested. Texas knows without OU, this conference is over and likewise OU knows without Texas, this conference is over. I don't know why people believe Tech delivers the Texas market like Texas. It doesn't. No conference is clamoring to get Tech for a reason. No slight at Tech. Just the way this stupid business is ran.
>>>>>
Texas knows without OU, this conference is over and likewise OU knows without Texas, this conference is over. I don't know why people believe Tech delivers the Texas market like Texas. It doesn't.
<<<<<

Spade,

My post was a joke.

Unfortunately, OU and Tejas are just stuck with each other for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Who cares about the history...

Texas A&M won't be thrown to the East. Just a guess. East being the side of the SEC with the weak teams, where they could fair well. South Carolina is the only team that has been up and coming. The rest... Tennessee - Kiffin'd. Kentucky - Basketball. Vandy - Basketball. Georgia - struggling for years. At least that side can claim basketball. So no wonder Florida faired so well in SEC play pre-2010 under Meyer...

Now to the West, where A&M most likely lands. They are playing in the division where the strength of the SEC actually exist. LSU, Bama, Arkansas, Miss St (up and coming), and Auburn. A&M is a decent school but they aren't even close of a good team in comparison to LSU or Bama. If they played the schedule LSU plays this year, A&M would be slaughtered. LSU so far has faired well. A&M would play at least 4 really good squads per year vs the 2 they play in the Big 12. It will be far from peaches and candy, especially if Texas still plays Texas A&M as a non-conference game ala UF/FSU, etc. I hope you would realize that.
>>>>>
It will be far from peaches and candy
<<<<<

I think you meant "peaches and cream"? I'm gonna use "peaches and candy" at the next family reunion and just wait for all the funny looks!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,045,618 times
I think I read somewhere that the Texas vs A&M rivalry is the third longest running rivalry in all of college football. They've been playing each other since the late 1800's. Both Texas and Texas A&M's fight songs mention the other school. Are both universities going to change their fight songs?...lol. Even though it probably won't happen, I would like to see the game played every year. It's always entertaining to watch.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,854,271 times
I looked it up, you're right, it's tied with Nebraska/Kansas, but that one is more or less over with at this point. It would be weird to have Texas/Texas A&M end around the same time.

I'm a little surprised that Minnesota/Wisconsin is number one. No particular reason, I just thought it might be some other rivalry.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM

12,961 posts, read 13,395,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I think I read somewhere that the Texas vs A&M rivalry is the third longest running rivalry in all of college football. They've been playing each other since the late 1800's. Both Texas and Texas A&M's fight songs mention the other school. Are both universities going to change their fight songs?...lol. Even though it probably won't happen, I would like to see the game played every year. It's always entertaining to watch.
There is one (1) line about A&M in the Texas "fight" song ("and it's goodbye to A&M") which is very fitting.

Can't wait for the SEC schools' "WTF?" reactions are to hearing this from the aggys every game:

Quote:
Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck!
Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck!
Good-bye to Texas University
So long to the Orange and the White
Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys that show the real old fight
"The eyes of Texas are upon you..."
That is the song they sing so well
So good-bye to Texas University
We're going to beat you all to--
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A & M!

Saw Varsity's horns off!
Saw Varsity's horns off!
Saw Varsity's horns off!
SHORT! Ay!

Varsity's horns are sawed off!
SHORT! Ayyyyyy!
But the Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck! will probably resonate with the Deliverance crowd, as will
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem.

LOL

Old 09-27-2011, 06:37 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,565,040 times
Oklahoma won't get that many Texas blue chippers as they used to , especially if UT leaves for the Pac 12. I don't think people realize that these kids want to play in a conference that is nationally recognized and good. They also love to play either at or close to home. I think the teams that will really benefit in the SEC will be A&M and LSU as far as Texas high school players. Once UT leaves, Oklahoma won't be the destination of many Texas blue chippers since the big 12 will be a dud considering strength of schedule. They're not gonna want to play in a low level competition conference. No way Tech and Baylor will do much to help it. The other schools out there that haven't left their conferences yet might join the big 12, but those schools aren't powerhouses. So i think if your school wants to jump ship, they better jump very soon before it is too late. If UT leaves, i wouldn't be surprised if the big 12 is disbanded completely.

Last edited by JL; 09-27-2011 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,854,271 times
I don't totally agree, some programs have a high profile and will never have trouble getting TV exposure or recruits, and Oklahoma is one of those.

I do agree that it's going to continue to be a debate every year on whether the conference will continue, and it is probably only one defection away from being finished as a conference. I think Big 12 schools need to start thinking now about where to go, and I'm sure all of them are probably already doing that.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I don't totally agree, some programs have a high profile and will never have trouble getting TV exposure or recruits, and Oklahoma is one of those.

I do agree that it's going to continue to be a debate every year on whether the conference will continue, and it is probably only one defection away from being finished as a conference. I think Big 12 schools need to start thinking now about where to go, and I'm sure all of them are probably already doing that.
>>>>>
<<<<<

^^^
THIS.

Oklahoma, along with ND and Tejas, is the best powerhouse program left on the board for the taking.

Unless Missouri defects the Big 12 is here for the long haul. Settle in. Hopefully realignment will be over for a long time.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:12 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,288,221 times
Texas will be fine with recruits no matter where they go. Even if they are independent, they won't have a problem recruiting. In Texas high schools... kids think this way:
1. Can I go to Texas?
2. If not, where else close to home can I go that is still a good program?

Texas gets first pick. Nothing will ever change that.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,395,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Texas will be fine with recruits no matter where they go. Even if they are independent, they won't have a problem recruiting. In Texas high schools... kids think this way:
1. Can I go to Texas?
2. If not, where else close to home can I go that is still a good program?

Texas gets first pick. Nothing will ever change that.
True.

I see Mizzou may be still looking to bolt.

Kinda embarassing for them,, as THEY are the ones who started this whole departure from the Big XII thing, but got no takers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football