Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times

Advertisements

Add BYU?

That's the only "lateral" move I can see working. But I've already heard reports on talk radio that BYU is not interested.

Talk of adding TCU/Boise St./Louisville/SMU/Houston/etc. is all a MAJOR downgrade. (I would be for starting a South-Central Conference just with Oklahoma and Texas teams as I have laid out in other threads.) Nothing against these schools but BYU (and no, Notre Dame won't come play Oklahoma/Texas every year) is the only school that has enough cred/history/money and influence in all sports to hang.

End of the Big 12 if they can't get BYU? And the only way OU is going to the PACWhatever is if Oklahoma State, Tech, AND Texas are along for the ride.

OU to the SEC? Sounds most plausible to me based on geography/culture, but the Sooners already turned down the SEC last summer and we'll have to deal with the Aggies (*barf*) again.

Your thoughts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Add BYU?

That's the only "Lateral" move I can see working. But I've already heard reports on talk radio that BYU is not interested.

Talk of adding TCU/Boise St./Louisville, etc. is all a MAJOR downgrade. Nothing against these schools but BYU (and no, Notre Dame won't come play Oklahoma/Texas every year) is the only school that has enough cred/history to hang.

End of the Big 12 if they can't BYU? And the only way OU is going to the PACWhatever is if Oklahoma State, Tech, AND Texas are along for the ride. OU to the SEC? Sounds most plausible to me, but the Sooners already turned down the SEC last summer.

Your thoughts....
TCU is a downgrade? They only knocked off Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl last year and finished the season ranked #2 in the country.

Boise State's been a perennial Top 10 team the last 5-7 years.

BYU has name recognition but they slipped to 6th-best in the MWC.

A&M's decision to leave the Big 12 reeks of the same sour grapes as BYU's decision to go independent.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
By the way, the Texas Tech forum posted a pretty freaking funny thread on the subject of what happens when A&M joins the SEC:

Scout.com: Post a Pic of what's gonna happen to Aggie.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
TCU is a downgrade? They only knocked off Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl last year and finished the season ranked #2 in the country.

Boise State's been a perennial Top 10 team the last 5-7 years.

BYU has name recognition but they slipped to 6th-best in the MWC.

A&M's decision to leave the Big 12 reeks of the same sour grapes as BYU's decision to go independent.
Yeh, sorry that burns your biscuits.

But the job of a major conference like the Big 12 is to improve......losing A&M hurts big time. The Big 12 hangs by a thread in terms of staying together. In fact, losing Nebraska was just about the straw that totally broke the camel's back. Losing a true "perennial" power (sorry, but BSU is a former JC) like the Cornhuskers pretty much destroyed the Big 12. Letting them leave was the worst failure by Beebe & Co. Should have never happened. Should have given them anything they wanted to stay in the Big 12. (Although, I did enjoy beating those Yankees one last time in the Big 12 Championship. It breaks my heart, however, to think we probably won't be playing Nebraska anymore. What is college football without the Sooners/Cornhuskers playing?!)

Without Notre Dame (ain't happening), Arkansas (ain't happening), or BYU (probably ain't happening) every other program (Louisville/Pittsburg?!...all the old SW conference schools) that could be added to the Big 12 is a downgrade. That's not improvement, that's becoming less of a conference....such as MWC/WAC/Conference USA/Big Easy, etc.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Quote:
Yeh, sorry that burns your biscuits.

But the job of a major conference like the Big 12 is to improve......losing A&M hurts big time. The Big 12 hangs by a thread in terms of staying together. In fact, losing Nebraska was just about the straw that totally broke the camel's back. Losing a true "perennial" power (sorry, but BSU is a former JC) like the Cornhuskers pretty much destroyed the Big 12. Letting them leave was the worst failure by Beebe & Co. Should have never happened. Should have given them anything they wanted to stay in the Big 12. (Although, I did enjoy beating those Yankees one last time in the Big 12 Championship. It breaks my heart, however, to think we probably won't be playing Nebraska anymore. What is college football without the Sooners/Cornhuskers playing?!)

Without Notre Dame (ain't happening), Arkansas (ain't happening), or BYU (probably ain't happening) every other program (Louisville/Pittsburg?!...all the old SW conference schools) that could be added to the Big 12 is a downgrade. That's not improvement, that's becoming less of a conference....such as MWC/WAC/Conference USA/Big Easy, etc.
It hurts but not nearly as much as you're implying. OU, UT, and Nebraska are leaps and bounds above A&M, and Mike Gundy's got Okie State poised to be the 3rd-best team in the conference. A&M's record over the last decade is a pretty pedestrian 65-58.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times
I think it is a good move by the Aggies financially and recruiting. It will provide them more of a national presence. Smart move.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,024,469 times
While the Aggs will get more money........

They're going to be Ole Miss/Carolina level for a while unless they can match the recruiting classes they've gotten in Austin.

Otherwise........sigh. Only logical pickup is Virginia Tech which sucks as a Virginia fan because despite them likely becoming a middle of the road team, they'll easily command the attention of every low attention span kid in the state for the fact that they're in the friggin SEC!!!.

Oh well, hopefully after all this crap is done in a few years UVA will either...

1. be in a reformatted ACC that actually has real top 25 teams in it yearly

2. makes it's way into the Big 10 with Maryland (I'd prefer this not because of snooty academics but because Big 10 brand name is as big as the SEC so we could actually compete statewide for big time players).

Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
For the last time, TCU is NEVER going to the Big X(II - one more) because they don't want TCU.

Big XII says TCU does nothing for their conference, and TCU is going to the Big East.

I don't know why the Frogs would even want to go there now, since that league is gonna die out anyway.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,937 times
Quote:

What is college football without the Sooners/Cornhuskers playing?!)
Eh, in my opinion the rivalry kind of died with the Big 8. You can't have a good rivalry if you don't play each other every year. The only time people really got into the game after that was when it had title implications.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Eh, in my opinion the rivalry kind of died with the Big 8. You can't have a good rivalry if you don't play each other every year. The only time people really got into the game after that was when it had title implications.
Which was quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football