Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,024,469 times

Advertisements

Well whatever, as long as the ACC comes out ok, don't really care about Texas football hissy fits.

I mean you can't fault Baylor for looking for its own, but then again people will play (Baylor is keeping A and M from fufilling it's potential, HOW UNAMERICAN) card.

Anyways, everyone keeps saying A and M will be a bottom dweller.

Will they? I don't think so, not perrenially. They have a HUGE warchest (alumni support for football, facilities, etc.) and potential audience. They can be mid tier along the lines of what Miss St., Arky and S.Car is doing. Who knows maybe they can do more. (Who in the hell thought Miss St. would be able to do ANYTHING?)

Read your history, Ole Miss was a power back in the day during Jonny Vaught. LSU is probably having it's golden age JUST NOW in the Les Miles era. Florida was not the power it is now before Spurrier, things change and in the SEC no team will be on top forever, it's too tough a league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:32 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Realistically if I went down the street anywhere in Texas and asked what team they follow, I guarantee they point to either Texas or Oklahoma.
<<<<<

Have you ever been to Texas? You have no idea what you're talking about.

It's about 60% Shorthorn, 30% Aggie, 5% Tech, 5%Sooner/TCU/SMU etc.

In Oklahoma on the other hand it's 80% Sooner, 20% Cowboy, and -.001 Shorthorn.
The question was rhetorical. Personally though I believe the numbers are way different than you lead on. And to answer your question, I have been to Houston many times.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Well whatever, as long as the ACC comes out ok, don't really care about Texas football hissy fits.

I mean you can't fault Baylor for looking for its own, but then again people will play (Baylor is keeping A and M from fufilling it's potential, HOW UNAMERICAN) card.

Anyways, everyone keeps saying A and M will be a bottom dweller.

Will they? I don't think so, not perrenially. They have a HUGE warchest (alumni support for football, facilities, etc.) and potential audience. They can be mid tier along the lines of what Miss St., Arky and S.Car is doing. Who knows maybe they can do more. (Who in the hell thought Miss St. would be able to do ANYTHING?)

Read your history, Ole Miss was a power back in the day during Jonny Vaught. LSU is probably having it's golden age JUST NOW in the Les Miles era. Florida was not the power it is now before Spurrier, things change and in the SEC no team will be on top forever, it's too tough a league.
Actually it's the SEC that dropped that little "waiver" caveat on A&M - They don't want any part of possible litigation.
Baylor is just looking out for themselves, as they face a bleaker future when the Dinky Dozen (Big 12) implodes.

Anyways, Texas isn't having any hissy fit at all and signed the waiver.

But you are correct about A&M not being a perrenial bottom dweller in the SEC. No program occupies the top or bottom rung forever. Look what Bill Snyder did for KSU. Maybe Sherm is starting something good in College Station.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
The question was rhetorical. Personally though I believe the numbers are way different than you lead on. And to answer your question, I have been to Houston many times.
What about DFW? There is much more convergence in Dallas/FortWorth with OU/A&M/Tech/Ut.

Houston is a very much a Shorthorn stronghold. You won't see too many Sooner shirts down there unless they're visiting.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:46 AM

8,982 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
This reminds me of the time the ACC raided the Big East. Va Tech was about to get left behind in the Big East, while Miami, Syracuse, and BC seemed destined for the ACC. It was at this time Va Tech threatened a lawsuit and the governer of Virginia started turning up the heat on the ACC. The ACC did the right thing and invited Va Tech instead of Syracuse.

SEC, do the right thing and invite Baylor. End this nonsense.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
But you are correct about A&M not being a perrenial bottom dweller in the SEC. No program occupies the top or bottom rung forever. Look what Bill Snyder did for KSU. Maybe Sherm is starting something good in College Station.
LSU has been in the top since 2000 when Saban took over.
UF has been in the top since 1990 when Spurrior took over.
Alabama, if not for booster money, would have been in the top for 30+ years.

10+ years and counting is a long time.

Texas A&M falls into the Arkansas category.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
What about DFW? There is much more convergence in Dallas/FortWorth with OU/A&M/Tech/Ut.

Houston is a very much a Shorthorn stronghold. You won't see too many Sooner shirts down there unless they're visiting.
I see more Aggie crap than Longhorns gear....

Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Not my experience at all. I'm not saying I've never seen Aggie (or another team) gear there, but it's always been Horn-centric when I'm down that way.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,036,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
There are a lot of Aggie alumni in the Houston area so that wouldn't surprise me at all. College Station is only about 90 miles from Houston.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:07 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,036,173 times
Here's a very interesting article about the current state of this mess and UT's role in it from Kirk Bohls, a sports writer for the Austin American-Statesman.

UT independence fraught with peril
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football