Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Why the Pac-12 and not the Big 10? Geographically it makes more sense. As a Big 10 fan, I could care less about Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers and Maryland. I already watch many Big 12 games and watched SWC and big 8 games.
Technically speaking, Texas and Oklahoma are the western most boundary of the South. Going to the Mighty Midwest Conference doesn't make any more geographic sense than the PAC, IMO. Kansas and Missouri, sure, they can go to the Big 10. Oklahoma/Texas schools? I don't think so. Plus, I've always heard that there would be no way that the Big 10, with its academic pedigree, would take Oklahoma/Oklahoma State/or Texas Tech.

There is no easy solution. I still wish there is a way the Texas and Oklahoma schools could start a 10 team South Central Conference (SSC) and then pick up 2-3 bigtime quality non-conference games per year to satfisy the strength of schedule.

SSC East
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Rice
SMU
Tulsa

SSC West
Baylor
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
UTEP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Technically speaking, Texas and Oklahoma are the western most boundary of the South. Going to the Mighty Midwest Conference doesn't make any more geographic sense than the PAC, IMO. Kansas and Missouri, sure, they can go to the Big 10. Oklahoma/Texas schools? I don't think so. Plus, I've always heard that there would be no way that the Big 10, with its academic pedigree, would take Oklahoma/Oklahoma State/or Texas Tech.

There is no easy solution. I still wish there is a way the Texas and Oklahoma schools could start a 10 team South Central Conference (SSC) and then pick up 2-3 bigtime quality non-conference games per year to satfisy the strength of schedule.

SSC East
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Rice
SMU
Tulsa

SSC West
Baylor
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
UTEP
Ok I have to chuckle at this a bit. Earlier you essentially small-timed TCU, Boise State, and BYU, and now you're proposing a conference with one of the absolute worst programs in the history of Division I football. Texas-El Paso is 114th out of the current 120 FBS teams in all-time winning percentage.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I really don't see A&M hurting the conference that much. Even if not replaced a non-conference game for some teams could be a better choice and have less members. I'd love to eventually see Texas/ LSU or a Florida team non-conference. If you want to play national championship; matchups is everything and non-conference more important than ever.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,024,469 times
Meh, after seeing big time papers like the Dallas Morning News consistently listing schools like Notre Dame and Arkansas for Big XII replacements, I say people take a break from all this until the Oklahoma AD actually says something cause this noise to signal ratio is just stupid now.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Ok I have to chuckle at this a bit. Earlier you essentially small-timed TCU, Boise State, and BYU, and now you're proposing a conference with one of the absolute worst programs in the history of Division I football. Texas-El Paso is 114th out of the current 120 FBS teams in all-time winning percentage.
More of a pipe-dream more than anything. I'm just frustrated that Oklahoma/Texas will have to sellout to the PAC.....which will greatly diminish the traditions based on geography and culture in this part of the country. (Just like the traditions/regionalism/culture that other conferences possess in general.)

I know that the SSC would never be a reality.....just kind of me daydreaming that we could keep some semblance of regional identity in our sports, which pretty much looks like a pipe-dream now that A&M has caused the dominoes to start falling.

Oklahoma/Texas are used to calling the shots in the Big 8/Southwest Conference/Big 12. Those days are pretty much over and we'll be deferring to lesser programs (with the exception of USC) now.

I'm an Old Time Traditionalist; and, it pains me to see those traditions swept away so easily just because of money and the fact that A&M just couldn't stand its big brother Texas any longer.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,937 times
Other than the travel, I think OU and Texas would be more competitive in a PAC 16 or whatever it ends up being than they would an expanded SEC.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:50 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Meh, after seeing big time papers like the Dallas Morning News consistently listing schools like Notre Dame and Arkansas for Big XII replacements, I say people take a break from all this until the Oklahoma AD actually says something cause this noise to signal ratio is just stupid now.
Exactly.

Just a lot of blather feeding off bloggs & message boards.

Kinda funny watching Texas fans tracking private airplane flights between Norman, Lubbock, Austin, LA, etc.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,842,554 times
when did we start asking the "now what?" questions? was it when Penn State got the whole realignment thing going by joining a Big Ten conference that for an eternity were quite content and truly represented their tight midwest/great lakes region?

The questions were there as the Big Eight and the remnants of the old SWC combined to form a geographical nosequitor called the Big Twelve? What on earth did Texas have in common with Iowa State?

surely the questions were in force when the SEC acquired Ark and So Car and got the vaunted "Conference Championship Game" which stood far less for competition within the conference and far more about $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

But heck, isn't that what it is all about anyway.

it's certain that the "now what?" questions were operating in earnest when the Big East, decimated in a way that the Big Twelve now is, played musical chairs with the ACC as everybody was asking, "where, if anywhere, is Notre Dame going?"

The musical chairs game went on, along with our "now what?" questions with the Big 12 and the Pac 10 which became, of course, the Pac 12 although it appeared on the way to being the Pac 30.

Instead of that massive exodus west, the Big 12, which never should have been in the first place, bled out piece by piece, CU to the Pac 12 (this being a school actually east of the Rockies), Nebraska to the Big Ten which shot holes in that conference's very notion and game it played with academic superiority. At least the conference is at 12 which allows it that lucrative championship game. So what if Ohio State-Michigan, arguably the best of college football rivalries now has schools in different divisions (my bet: UM-MSU and OSU-PSU become bigger rivalries in time than OSU-UM). Wisconsin loses all its traditional rivals as intradivision. The conference may be a mess, but the championship game in Indianapolis is a sell out, was within a day of tickets being offered.

And do you really think you couldn't run a 12 team conference with an exciting 11 game round robin, simply by eliminating the non-conference cupcakes that fill BCS schools' stadiums for the sake of $$$$$$ and 52-7 routs.

and again...ain't that what it is all about, show me the money?

So now we have Texas A&M telling the Big 12 it's going to be good bye if it finds another conference to join (it already has found it, the SEC, and these talks never would have been made public if the SEC didn't already say "come on in; the water's fine. and we would love to be part of that Texas market."

All about increasing "The Footprint", all about the revenue of new markets. The SEC, Presented by Delta. McDonald's Big Ten-or-Twelve-or-Whatever.

So "now what?" we ask? Will OU take A&M's move as a reason to abandon the Big Twelve, Subsidary of Titanic Cruise Lines? And if so, where does Texas go? Or Oky State? What's to become of Missouri? Does Iowa State even exist any more.

So at this point, if there is an answer to "now what", to me the answer at this point becomes obvious: WTF. What cares.

College football arguably was the most traditional of sports, ahead of even that other (former) bastion of tradition, MLB. MLB, of course, has divisioned and wild carded itself into a mockery of its long, cherished history.

And College Football has become professional football in all things but name. Does anyone really doubt that the sports is de facto professional?

Look, if I want the NFL, I can watch the NFL. What draws (or drew) me to college football was the beauty of a game once related to campuses and the pagentry of a sport where football was meant to enhance school spirit and in which we had a real relationship to real universities and the real conferences they belong to.

So at this point, forgive me if I opt out of interest. If Notre Dame decides to join the Pac 50 to be closer to its rivalries with USC and Stanford and you ask me "what now?", my answer would be "does it really matter?"

Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
when did we start asking the "now what?" questions? was it when Penn State got the whole realignment thing going by joining a Big Ten conference that for an eternity were quite content and truly represented their tight midwest/great lakes region?

The questions were there as the Big Eight and the remnants of the old SWC combined to form a geographical nosequitor called the Big Twelve? What on earth did Texas have in common with Iowa State?

surely the questions were in force when the SEC acquired Ark and So Car and got the vaunted "Conference Championship Game" which stood far less for competition within the conference and far more about $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

But heck, isn't that what it is all about anyway.

it's certain that the "now what?" questions were operating in earnest when the Big East, decimated in a way that the Big Twelve now is, played musical chairs with the ACC as everybody was asking, "where, if anywhere, is Notre Dame going?"

The musical chairs game went on, along with our "now what?" questions with the Big 12 and the Pac 10 which became, of course, the Pac 12 although it appeared on the way to being the Pac 30.

Instead of that massive exodus west, the Big 12, which never should have been in the first place, bled out piece by piece, CU to the Pac 12 (this being a school actually east of the Rockies), Nebraska to the Big Ten which shot holes in that conference's very notion and game it played with academic superiority. At least the conference is at 12 which allows it that lucrative championship game. So what if Ohio State-Michigan, arguably the best of college football rivalries now has schools in different divisions (my bet: UM-MSU and OSU-PSU become bigger rivalries in time than OSU-UM). Wisconsin loses all its traditional rivals as intradivision. The conference may be a mess, but the championship game in Indianapolis is a sell out, was within a day of tickets being offered.

And do you really think you couldn't run a 12 team conference with an exciting 11 game round robin, simply by eliminating the non-conference cupcakes that fill BCS schools' stadiums for the sake of $$$$$$ and 52-7 routs.

and again...ain't that what it is all about, show me the money?

So now we have Texas A&M telling the Big 12 it's going to be good bye if it finds another conference to join (it already has found it, the SEC, and these talks never would have been made public if the SEC didn't already say "come on in; the water's fine. and we would love to be part of that Texas market."

All about increasing "The Footprint", all about the revenue of new markets. The SEC, Presented by Delta. McDonald's Big Ten-or-Twelve-or-Whatever.

So "now what?" we ask? Will OU take A&M's move as a reason to abandon the Big Twelve, Subsidary of Titanic Cruise Lines? And if so, where does Texas go? Or Oky State? What's to become of Missouri? Does Iowa State even exist any more.

So at this point, if there is an answer to "now what", to me the answer at this point becomes obvious: WTF. What cares.

College football arguably was the most traditional of sports, ahead of even that other (former) bastion of tradition, MLB. MLB, of course, has divisioned and wild carded itself into a mockery of its long, cherished history.

And College Football has become professional football in all things but name. Does anyone really doubt that the sports is de facto professional?

Look, if I want the NFL, I can watch the NFL. What draws (or drew) me to college football was the beauty of a game once related to campuses and the pagentry of a sport where football was meant to enhance school spirit and in which we had a real relationship to real universities and the real conferences they belong to.

So at this point, forgive me if I opt out of interest. If Notre Dame decides to join the Pac 50 to be closer to its rivalries with USC and Stanford and you ask me "what now?", my answer would be "does it really matter?"
Overall, this is an excellent post which every college football fan under 40 should read.

>>>>>
<<<<<

Agreed. It's disgusting. It's all about "franchising" football. I call it selling out for cash.

>>>>>
the Big Twelve, Subsidary of Titanic Cruise Lines?
<<<<<

LOL. True here as well.

>>>>>
<<<<<

^^^

On the money here. THIS is exactly why I'm so fed up with all this realignment stuff....it is killing the traditions based on region and culture. It will never be the same and I'm predicting that it will greatly diminish not necessarily the interest in college football, but certainly the relationships/identity that have made it such a unique/fascinating sport.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 09-03-2011 at 09:56 AM..

Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 AM

229 posts, read 207,010 times
Sooners are most likely the next team to leave the conference. After the announcement (which ever way they decide) the Big 12 will add lesser known colleges and be weaker for the time being.

Texas being greedy really blew up in thier face and the Big 12 deserves whats happening, thats for damn sure. Traditions are nice but its money that talks nowdays, it sucks but thats how the modern world works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football