Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:19 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
If the answer is to go after these smaller schools (I don't think it is)....then the Big 12 should just fold now.

Well said... You are spot on!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
I currently live in a WAC conference town [at least until next year] and the general consensus is that Boise State has a great football program, but not much else. As a football fan, I'd like to see them in a major conference, but I just don't see it happening.

Wasn't saying that OU/Nebraska wasn't a great rivalry, just that it more or less died with the Big 8. It probably didn't help that Nebraska's program hit a slump not long after Osborne left. I think they should have figured out some kind of way to keep the teams playing each other every year, that would have kept it going.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I currently live in a WAC conference town [at least until next year] and the general consensus is that Boise State has a great football program, but not much else. As a football fan, I'd like to see them in a major conference, but I just don't see it happening.

Wasn't saying that OU/Nebraska wasn't a great rivalry, just that it more or less died with the Big 8. It probably didn't help that Nebraska's program hit a slump not long after Osborne left. I think they should have figured out some kind of way to keep the teams playing each other every year, that would have kept it going.
>>>>>
It probably didn't help that Nebraska's program hit a slump not long after Osborne left. I think they should have figured out some kind of way to keep the teams playing each other every year, that would have kept it going.
<<<<<

Yep. Totally agree here.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,024,137 times
It hit the fan now..........

Jesus, I hope Swofford gets up and get in a attack mode to fortify the ACC if something happens.

Virginia fans can act as haughty as they want but we lose VPI to the SEC then maaaaannnnnnn we're gonna turn into Iowa State over here.

Otherwise, BYU may go Big 12 but likely not. It's really far and you really have to read Utah papers to understand what BYU is about. BYU TV is not only leveraging football tv rights, it's about attracting eyeballs to the Mormon channel. If their ESPN deal allows them to be more flexible in growing BYU tv, then it's unlikely that they'd join.

If the PAC goes west and snatches Texas, TT, OU and OKST then it can play it's snazzy conference game in Farmers Field in LA (when ever the hell it gets built)

Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,483 times
Quote:
>>>>>

Sure, TCU/Boise State, et. al, might beat A&M if they played today. But A&M will always possess the credibility/respect/influence that a smaller school like TCU/BSU will never possess.

Example: Let's say the Big 12 goes after TCU/BSU.....you would be replacing a stadium that holds 90,000 with 50,000-60,000 (I'm probably being generous). Also, what does TCU (Baseball?) and especially Boise St. (Mountain Climbing) offer in other sports? I'm not trying to be hateful on these smaller schools but it is absolutely ridiculous to compare them to A&M when you take into account the academics/athletics in totality/and overall influence.

If the answer is to go after these smaller schools (I don't think it is)....then the Big 12 should just fold now.
While I agree with your assessment (Boise doesn't have the prestige of A&M, nor the market), let me point a few things out.

BSU's stadium is a whopping 34,000 right now, scheduled to get up to 50k in the next 4 years. That's still bottom of the barrel for BigXII. Our athletic budget is also 10 million below Iowa State, who has the lowest in the Big XII currently.

However, Boise State fields a nationally ranked top 10 wrestling program (competes in the Pac 10), had a top 20 ranked men's and women's tennis team (before the recent events), and top 25 track team and gymnastics teams.

But yeah... who cares?

Basketball (men and women) are middle of road; not good not bad.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:41 PM

200 posts, read 295,129 times
Quote:
>>>>>
There was even a story in the local media a few years back about what happened to the rivalry, and how no one really cared about the game anymore.
<<<<<

Must be the 40 and unders.

Those Sooners fans that were suckin' on momma's tit in the 80's/90's would have a lot better understanding of there football program if they did a tad reading/checking into history.

OU/Nebraska is one of the great/historic rivalries of college football. Those that say otherwise don't know a thing about OU's or Nebraska's history and tradition.
Hopefully if everything pans out, Nebraska and Oklahoma will meet in the 20/21 season to commemorate the 50 year anniversary of the "Game of the Century." It would be even better if we met in a BCS Bowl or national championship before that occurs. Oklahoma is in a good position as they can choose whatever conference they want between holding together the Big XII or bolting for the PAC12 or SEC when the invites come. If the B1G can look past the AAU thing and Oklahoma doesn't come packaged with Okie St, it wouldn't surprise me one bit they end up there also. That would be awesome because there would be no doubt that the Huskers and Sooners would be in the same division, thus renewing the annual rivalry. Probably an unlikely scenario, but one can dream for now.

Anyways, I think the Big XII capitulates by the end of the 11/12 sports season or a year later max. The remaining members most likely go to the PAC12, SEC, or B1G with some being left out, while Texas goes independent. Right now, I just don't see any other AQ team wanting to join the Big XII, which they need to survive. Replacing them with old SWC teams won't do much rather than prolong the conference a couple years imo.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:03 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,453,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Illinois
Not ranked.
Quote:
Iowa
Not ranked.
Quote:
Wisconsin
Lost.
Quote:
Northwestern
Not Ranked and Lost.
Quote:
Penn State
Destroyed in the Fourth, Penn St just was pooped and was dominated (2 interceptions and a 3 and out; one of those picks was a pick 6 for 80 yards).

Old 09-01-2011, 03:11 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,034,799 times
I think the Big 12 is definitely on it's last leg. I saw a quote yesterday from Bob Stoops publicly stating, and I'm paraphrasing here... "I would be more excited about playing in the Pac 10 than a watered down Big 12" (If I can find the link where Stoops said that I'll come back and post it). When A&M goes to the SEC I think the dominoes will fall and there will be no Big 12 left. As expected, Texas will be a key player. If Texas goes independent, it's hard to say where everybody will end up. IMO, OU might re-consider going to the SEC with A&M if Texas goes independent. If Texas decides to go to the Pac, then OU, Ok State and Texas Tech will probably go with them. The remaining Big 12 schools, with the exception of Missouri and possibly Kansas, would then probably be taken by smaller non-AQ conferences (Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State). Kansas and Missouri might go to the Big East or Missouri might possibly go to the SEC with A&M?? The SEC would probably add 2 more teams to make it 16 in that scenario. As a Texas Tech fan, I'm very concerned about all of this stuff. I don't think the Pac will ever invite Tech if Texas, OU and Ok State don't insist we go with them. If Texas goes independent, I fear that Tech would probably end up in a non-AQ conference like the Mountain West and I'll never see them on TV again. The loss of millions to the school itself would also be quite devastating. There's one thing for sure, Texas and OU will go where they want to go. The rest of us will be scrambling to find a spot.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I think the Big 12 is definitely on it's last leg. I saw a quote yesterday from Bob Stoops publicly stating, and I'm paraphrasing here... "I would be more excited about playing in the Pac 10 than a watered down Big 12" (If I can find the link where Stoops said that I'll come back and post it). When A&M goes to the SEC I think the dominoes will fall and there will be no Big 12 left. As expected, Texas will be a key player. If Texas goes independent, it's hard to say where everybody will end up. IMO, OU might re-consider going to the SEC with A&M if Texas goes independent. If Texas decides to go to the Pac, then OU, Ok State and Texas Tech will probably go with them. The remaining Big 12 schools, with the exception of Missouri and possibly Kansas, would then probably be taken by smaller non-AQ conferences (Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State). Kansas and Missouri might go to the Big East or Missouri might possibly go to the SEC with A&M?? The SEC would probably add 2 more teams to make it 16 in that scenario. As a Texas Tech fan, I'm very concerned about all of this stuff. I don't think the Pac will ever invite Tech if Texas, OU and Ok State don't insist we go with them. If Texas goes independent, I fear that Tech would probably end up in a non-AQ conference like the Mountain West and I'll never see them on TV again. The loss of millions to the school itself would also be quite devastating. There's one thing for sure, Texas and OU will go where they want to go. The rest of us will be scrambling to find a spot.
This Austinite and very respected writer (Kurt Bohls) seems to think that the Sooners, not the Horns with all the money and perceived influence, is the team that's gonna call the final shots and start the domino effect.

See it here: One more move and Big 12 is over

Hopefully, Oklahoma/Tech/Oklahoma State/Texas can stay together. I would like to keep the geographical/cultural tie of the Big 12 South together.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 09-01-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 03:50 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Not ranked.

Not ranked.

Lost.

Not Ranked and Lost.

Destroyed in the Fourth, Penn St just was pooped and was dominated (2 interceptions and a 3 and out; one of those picks was a pick 6 for 80 yards).
You asked if any Big 10 teams outside of Ohio State were not destroyed.

I showed you 5. You didn't ask for rankings and margins of victory or defeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football