Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 11:52 AM

278 posts, read 449,504 times

Advertisements

This thread has focused on the Government side of highway funding, construction and upkeep in Colorado. I think we need to consider the private for-profit side of the equation as well. Aren't all the toll roads and lanes in Colorado operated, in some cases owned, and maintained by private for-profit companies?

I know that E470 (6th most expensive tolls in the USA) is privately owned by a for-profit company (tolls will never go away), and is overseen by a seven local Government authority. The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) oversees all toll lane operations within the Denver/Boulder area, via a "government-owned business" called "HPTE", whose primary purpose is to contract with private companies to fund, operate and maintain toll lanes. Here's their charter:

"The High-Performance Transportation Enterprise (HPTE) was formed to aggressively pursue innovative means of more efficiently financing important surface transportation infrastructure projects that will improve the safety, capacity, and accessibility of the surface transportation system, can feasibly be commenced in a reasonable amount of time, will allow more efficient movement of people, goods, and information throughout the state, and will accelerate the economic recovery of the state.

Such innovative means of financing projects include, but are not limited to, public-private partnerships, operating concession agreements, user fee-based project financing, and availability payment and design-build contracting."

And here's a link to their site: HPTE. My personal opinion is that...yes, governments often waists money and are subject to political whims, but private for-profit businesses will always make traditionally run government activities more expensive.

Last edited by YoYoSpin; 12-19-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 08:53 AM

1,013 posts, read 977,044 times
Had to go to Denver yesterday. Accident southbound on the way home. Sat in stop and go for an hour. Would gladly have paid a toll.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:56 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
I personally believe if a private or quasi-private entity wants to benefit from privatizing infrastructure then they should cover 100% of the construction and maintenance costs of said infrastructure. The taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing them by paying for a majority of the construction costs (around 60% in this case).

Old 12-20-2017, 10:38 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I personally believe if a private or quasi-private entity wants to benefit from privatizing infrastructure then they should cover 100% of the construction and maintenance costs of said infrastructure. The taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing them by paying for a majority of the construction costs (around 60% in this case).
Fully agree.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:50 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Had to go to Denver yesterday. Accident southbound on the way home. Sat in stop and go for an hour. Would gladly have paid a toll.
Happens daily now, both NB/SB lanes.

Wonder how those commuters feel just because they saved a few grand on a house?

You can not put a price on your sanity!

Old 12-20-2017, 01:06 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Sounds like more lanes and toll lane plans aren't definite yet:

Toll lanes on I-25 dominate El Paso County Commissioners' meeting Tuesday (12/19/2017)

Quote:
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - El Paso County commissioners offered two different perspectives Tuesday on the controversial proposal to build toll lanes on the I-25 widening project between Monument and Castle Rock.

First, commissioners -- after an hour-long executive session with the county attorney -- unanimously approved a resolution opposing toll lanes on the 18-mile project. . . .

Later in Tuesday's meeting, commissioners Mark Waller and Stan VanderWerf suggested another plan -- to widen the project area to four lanes in each direction instead of three . . .

"That's the only way I'll consider a toll lane," Waller said. "If there are three free lanes, then I think we shouldn't rule out the fourth lane being some sort of pay lane. We're going to need those extra lanes in the future. Let's do it now. If we can get the money to start the Gap project a year from now, let's be willing to do something better."
. . .

Old 12-20-2017, 02:41 PM

834 posts, read 743,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Happens daily now, both NB/SB lanes.

Wonder how those commuters feel just because they saved a few grand on a house?

You can not put a price on your sanity!
Our house last year was over $100k cheaper than anything comparable in a comparable neighborhood in the Denver Metro. It was also $800/month less than renting our 2 bedroom apartment.

So is our current home..but I think that once you hit $450-500k it's a wash.

My husband only drives once or twice a week however, and gas is thankfully reimbursed. He works 12 hours so avoids most of the traffic, but would obviously rather not.

If we wanted a single family home in a nice area, we had to move. Maybe in a few years we could afford it, but we needed a house now.

We also bought a townhome that we could afford in Denver and got the most psychotic neighbors I could imagine, complete with an autistic tansgender who was stalking my husband, alcoholics banging on the walls, gangsters selling crack, shootings, etc. Plus we had to wait months to get it and outbid twenty others. I really didn't want to go through that again, and both homes we bought here were much easier to procure.

But I agree, that commute daily would be awful. I drive down 83 a few times a month and find out to go by white peacefully and quickly.

*ETA, I think we'll see less of this though as prices in the springs continue to rise. At some point, it won't be worth it and hopefully some of the commuters find jobs here eventually.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:09 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Sounds like more lanes and toll lane plans aren't definite yet:

Toll lanes on I-25 dominate El Paso County Commissioners' meeting Tuesday (12/19/2017)
Quote:
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - El Paso County commissioners offered two different perspectives Tuesday on the controversial proposal to build toll lanes on the I-25 widening project between Monument and Castle Rock.

First, commissioners -- after an hour-long executive session with the county attorney -- unanimously approved a resolution opposing toll lanes on the 18-mile project. . . .

Later in Tuesday's meeting, commissioners Mark Waller and Stan VanderWerf suggested another plan -- to widen the project area to four lanes in each direction instead of three . . .

"That's the only way I'll consider a toll lane," Waller said. "If there are three free lanes, then I think we shouldn't rule out the fourth lane being some sort of pay lane. We're going to need those extra lanes in the future. Let's do it now. If we can get the money to start the Gap project a year from now, let's be willing to do something better."
Thanks, suzco! THIS is what I've been thinking all along. Three free lanes are necessary! There will still be slowdowns with three. Make a fourth lane a toll lane.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:31 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
Merry Christmas !

Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
I like the proposal and agree...3 free lanes and a toll. That, I think, is the best long-term solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs