Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 01:28 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
How about SIMS?
That works, especially if you have The Village People playing in the background!

Quote:
Nah, FPS mostly...some platforming
Aren't you a tad old for FPS?

My current social life sucking addiction is called Fallout 76.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 05:24 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,717,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That works, especially if you have The Village People playing in the background!

My current social life sucking addiction is called Fallout 76.
Age ain't nothing but a number bud!

I'm damn near 40 - still play CS:GO with my 63 year old Dad. Both of us still game - Wolfenstein, Unreal Tourney, Serious Sam (all 4), everything in the Doom series, Halo. We prefer games with a plot normally vs. Valorant, PUBG...but CS:GO is fun with the two of us haha.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:04 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Ageism in gaming now? Come on man. Isn't Fallout a 3rd person shooter? What's really the difference? I like killing gamers online, you just like killing AI offline?
GAMER
TIL
I
DIE

There is a gamer forum here too, Rebl. It's hidden under "Entertainment".
https://www.city-data.com/forum/video-games/

Old 06-10-2022, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Age ain't nothing but a number bud!

I'm damn near 40 - still play CS:GO with my 63 year old Dad. Both of us still game - Wolfenstein, Unreal Tourney, Serious Sam (all 4), everything in the Doom series, Halo. We prefer games with a plot normally vs. Valorant, PUBG...but CS:GO is fun with the two of us haha.
Hey man, much like the MS Office thread, I was being silly here too! (I was gonna reply saying "MS products phone home??" but didn't wanna tease you more)

Besides, I am older than Vinny (I think).

Also, I played most of those games, still play SS once in a while. Pure FPS and hella fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ageism in gaming now? Come on man. Isn't Fallout a 3rd person shooter? What's really the difference? I like killing gamers online, you just like killing AI offline?
GAMER
TIL
I
DIE

There is a gamer forum here too, Rebl. It's hidden under "Entertainment".
https://www.city-data.com/forum/video-games/
Actually, much like most Bughesda games, FO76 can be played either first or third person.
I play it mostly in FP mode unless I need to scope around or am sprinting.
I don't like 3rd person only games (Hitman was an exception).

I used to play mostly online, against other players but I don't really follow games all that passionately or timely any more. The days of R6 Ravenshield and Battlefield 2 are long gone for this aging fool.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:01 AM

1,069 posts, read 787,722 times
Default How to build your own computer.

[quote=corolla5speed;63367639]How to build your own computer.

Below is a computer building from scratch video produced by experts and they do a great job sharing their expertise. As brought out in the video, (The specs have changed but the process remains the same.)

Attempting a new computer build from scratch.

Doing an upgrade on an older computer.

Reviving a relic computer which was very expensive and is just collecting dust.
(consider downloads which are available on distrowatch.com specificity Q4 Debian from 386 to 12 core rock solid and resource conservative multiply versions that fit any project)

Just expanding your knowledge about what makes computers tick.

YouTube tutorials and websites like city-data are great supplements to reading and studying books which will prepare you to test your knowledge and obtain certifications if you wish to go further.

It has been suggested earlier in the thread that Video's may not be for every one. Great suggestion.

Here are a number of How to build your own computer Presentations in PDF format are capable of being downloaded.

Just another option on the road to building your own computer.

The PDF instruction manuals below give both older methods and newer options in building a computer. Each contributor brings their own knowledge and value to the end goal. Enjoy.

Click on the links below.

https://www.build-your-own-computer....n-computer.pdf

https://www.howtogeek.com/downloads/...emystified.pdf

https://books-library.net/files/down...43638Mz2N3.pdf

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Desktop_PC.pdf

https://www.cgdirector.com/parts-needed-to-build-a-pc/

Old 06-10-2022, 09:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
LOL at gamers. 74 years young.

All Assassin's Creed
All Crysis
All Sniper Elite (SE 5 sucks)
All Ratchet and Clank
All Doom
Ghost Wildlands
Ghost Recon Breakpoint
And the list goes on...

Oh, I almost forgot. My wife is playing Witcher and AC Valhalla recently, and her list is similar to mine.

I forgot. We are loving HZD

GTWD

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 06-10-2022 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-10-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
HP 1200 is a good machine. If I remember correctly that is a small top feeder, not bad for 23 years old. When it starts printing lighter, give the cartridge a shake and get another 50 pages out of it. Renew the cartridge and it prints like it just came out of the box new again. Worked on and with a lot of HP models good machines.

If you have a dedicated IP print server doing the share service in an office setting, that is an economical and least bothersome way to setup printing for a user group. When using a IP shared printer with no more than a few other machines doing routine intermittent print jobs you can get by without a print server. It's a budget and work flow thing that needs to be measured.

No matter what the setup you can't beat a 23 year old printer that still delivers and does a good job. I crossed over to the (all in ones) 22 years ago. FAX, scanner, copier, printer. Introduced that style to my work place and eliminated an existing number of leased copier contracts that saved them a lot of money. I do the OCR stuff once in a while, copy regularly and a minimum amount print jobs. The Machine is a Brother MFC-9700. Bought one for my wife and I and another for my son when he left for college, it has also been a reliable machine like that hp 1200.

Has a lower tray.

We have a Brother 9320CW that was a display model from Staples for 1/2 price. We checked and it had printed 18 pages.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
LOL at gamers. 74 years young.

All Assassin's Creed
All Crysis
All Sniper Elite (SE 5 sucks)
All Ratchet and Clank
All Doom
Ghost Wildlands
Ghost Recon Breakpoint
And the list goes on...

Oh, I almost forgot. My wife is playing Witcher and AC Valhalla recently, and her list is similar to mine.

I forgot. We are loving HZD

GTWD
My (Top) Hat is off to you both!

Old 06-11-2022, 09:45 AM

Way back before personal computers we went to a friends workplace after dinner. He showed us a text game on their mainframe. It was called Colossal Cave. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

He showed us where everyone got stuck in the game. We're talking 12 people.

The protagonist was in a cave facing a dragon they had to kill to get past it. Our friend rattled off all the weapons they tried and nothing worked. My wife said, "Use your hands" to which she got ragged on by our friend.

It worked. That is my wife as a gamer in a nutshell.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 787,722 times
Default I mixed the 1200 with the 1100 top feeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Has a lower tray.

We have a Brother 9320CW that was a display model from Staples for 1/2 price. We checked and it had printed 18 pages.

I mixed up the 1200 with the 1100 top feeder. The HP 1200 was a good machine as well.

Read the specs of that Brother 9320CW looks like you done well. Page yields from the toner were also good with decent prices.

Brother makes a good printer.

Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers