Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 06:11 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,060,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Looks like you have the all the tools you will need for any printing job. Great choice.

1200 dpi does make quite a difference.

Questions.

Tell me have you ever ran into color problems on that HP c7400 due to going beyond an expire toner date.

(what has been your experience with the shelf life?) I'm thinking the smaller cartridges are a wise home office choice.

Have you bumped up the memory in either of those printers

(Is the memory in either one upgrade-able)

(Has printer speed or lag after a memory upgrade been more positive on a large project)

Any driver limitations?

The HP 7400c is actually a flat bed scanner that can scan legal sized documents. I have a document feeder for it, but since it had a tendency to jam, I do not use it. I have 256 mb of memory for the HP 2420d. Doing that was a challenge. Generic memory does not work, and new HP memory was really expensive. I ended up buying used HP memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 08:23 AM

1,070 posts, read 787,975 times
Default I see I was asking my questions based on the Hp photosmart 7200c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
The HP 7400c is actually a flat bed scanner that can scan legal sized documents. I have a document feeder for it, but since it had a tendency to jam, I do not use it. I have 256 mb of memory for the HP 2420d. Doing that was a challenge. Generic memory does not work, and new HP memory was really expensive. I ended up buying used HP memory.

I see, I was asking my questions based on the Hp Photosmart 7200c

My mistake.

Was considering the upgrade. Thanks anyway.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product...series/3204782

Old 06-07-2022, 09:53 AM

1,070 posts, read 787,975 times
[quote=corolla5speed;63367639]How to build your own computer.

Below is a computer building from scratch video produced by experts and they do a great job sharing their expertise. As brought out in the video, (The specs have changed but the process remains the same.)

Attempting a new computer build from scratch.

Doing an upgrade on an older computer.

Reviving a relic computer which was very expensive and is just collecting dust.
(consider downloads which are available on distrowatch.com specificity Q4 Debian from 386 to 12 core rock solid and resource conservative multiply versions that fit any project)

Just expanding your knowledge about what makes computers tick.

YouTube tutorials and websites like city-data are great supplements to reading and studying books which will prepare you to test your knowledge and obtain certifications if you wish to go further.

Enjoy.

I had gotten off the subject of (building your own computer) and even bored myself.

Back to building your own computer. One of the important lessons I learned about computers was the difference between a desktop and a workstation. Some information about both workstations and desktops have been presented earlier in the thread but it was based on old technology, budget models, or gaming.

Now I give you a professional who has worked in some of the highest paid positions in the computer industry. His video presentation compares his best home built gaming computer to a high end workstation. He is knowledgeable and objective in his presentation of the limitations of each machine

Before building a computer, consider this video and some of the earlier points made in the thread and some of my budget tricks.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBWaiWcXAk

Old 06-07-2022, 10:20 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
More videos, yay! 9 pages now! Yay!
Bro...

Old 06-07-2022, 12:36 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
More videos, yay! 9 pages now! Yay!
Bro...
Agreed.

It ain't that hard dude. I've been building my own since high school (Ugh, my 20 year reunion is this year...) and you'd best believe I didn't watch hours and hours of video to figure it out.

I maintain my original statement. Decide what you want, use PCPartPicker if you're really clueless, get it all ordered and go for broke. Don't force connectors where they shouldn't go, for gods sake RTFM when it comes to the case headers and make sure you flip the power switch on the PSU before you hit the power button the first time. Tidy up your cables once you know it all works, close it up and have fun. If you RGB all the things, please turn off the rainbow vomit and find a more aesthetically pleasing color haha!

If it doesn't spark and smoke when you boot it up the first time, you're good to go

Old 06-07-2022, 01:43 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
It was also one of my initial questions but I had enough fresh pricing info at hand that I could provide a relatively realistic quote of a basic, moderate and gaming rig price so the prospective client would have an idea beforehand. Most people were clueless, at least 20 years ago so asking them how much they would like to spend, would typically yield an answer similar to "As little as possible" or "Not too much!"....not very specific or helpful.

Nowadays, it might make sense to ask the customer if there was a specific OEM make/model they liked and then quote them a custom build PC using same specs but preferably better components. OEMs, naturally, use either proprietary and/or cheap components to cut corners.

Sad but true. There were a bunch of really good ones 10+ years ago but most died away in the last decade.
I was a moderator on one of those site called IANAG (I Am Not A Geek), doubt anyone even knows or remembers.

MajorGeekks.com is still around but not sure who are the regulars nowadays. I haven't checked out their forum for years. They had a ton of really knowledgeable regulars plus the mods.

Two things became very noticeable of most any technical forum:
- The ego fights between techies
- The bitterness that accumulates after spending your hours/days/months and not getting as much as a "Thank You!" but instead getting some noob getting into a peeing contest like you have to prove/validate your creds to them simply because you wanted to share your $0.02's worth.

Oh yeah, I got burned out once or twice but like a dumb dumb, keep coming back.
Waddaya gonna do?
This is another tech forum I used to visit. It's been a long time, still seems active. I used to answer posts in my spare time. Not as much of that as there used to be, still some obviously, I'm here lol. I don't build anything any more. Not a gamer, haven't been in a long time. Not even a hobbyist, priorities change.

https://www.techspot.com/community/

Here's another one. https://www.techsupportforum.com/

If I have a question now I just go to reddit or google for that matter.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:11 PM

10,873 posts, read 4,551,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Uh, no - that is terrible advice. You absolutely need to differentiate between RAM - DDR3, DDR4, DDR5 and speed are requirements to know when buying RAM, especially when you're getting into used computers and high end gaming PC's and workstations.

You're not putting DDR5 RAM into a board that needs DDR4, DDR3 into a board that needs DDR5, etc. Nor are you going to put bottom of the bin sticks into a Ryzen 9 5900x or 5950x, you'll be lucky if doesn't start throwing errors. XMP settings are king there.

Stuffing a pair of DDR4-3200 CL22 sticks into a machine that's doing web browsing is fine, and I've done it - nothing wrong there, you're not going for performance. Putting that into a R9 5900x box will give you a headache Tylenol won't fix though. I'm using a 64GB Corsair kit that cost more than some desktops do (2x 32GB DDR4-3600 CL18). I could have gone with CL16 sticks to get a scooch more performance but that that point to me it wasn't worth it. I could have saved a few bucks going with non-RGB sticks, but I like the glow. If it's gonna sit on my desk and I have to look at it, it's gonna be something prettier than a beige box.
lol I think you may have missed the point of the discussion.

run a test on your machine and show us your paging per second, page block size, cache hit, cache miss and castout rates.

ps - if you are using windows, THAT is your problem. COTS windows cannot be used for intensive single user tasks.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Not a gamer, haven't been in a long time. Not even a hobbyist, priorities change.
Gamer til I die. GTID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
ps - if you are using windows, THAT is your problem. COTS windows cannot be used for intensive single user tasks.
Wanna race? Mine's not... COTS... but I bet it smokes whatever you've got.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:54 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Gamer til I die. GTID.
Wut? You are not a gamer, mister! I don't believe it!

And no, minesweeper or solitaire doesn't count!

Old 06-08-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Wut? You are not a gamer, mister! I don't believe it!
How about SIMS?
lol
Nah, FPS mostly...some platforming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers