Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 06:22 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times

Advertisements

I have many old PC processors at home,what should I DO with them,if I dispose them,I would need to remove some personal data OR should I just remove the motherboard?It is taking up too much space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 06:30 AM

1,140 posts, read 618,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I have many old PC processors at home,what should I DO with them,if I dispose them,I would need to remove some personal data OR should I just remove the motherboard?It is taking up too much space?
1) Just take out ALL harddrives and destroy them if you are afraid of ppl stealing data.
2) If it's not super old, maybe donate the rest to a charity.
3) If it's super old, then see if there are recycling programs in your city / town.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:17 AM

1,069 posts, read 787,722 times
Default Personal data on an old computer is an excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post

Only you can make that decision for yourself. Recycling your old personal computers are an excellent point, before recycling an old computer. Before destroying a hard-drive...

Here is another short video link below that demonstrates how a hard drive with a mechanical problem was fixed in minutes
If your are going destroy the hard-drive because you are sure the problem is mechanical, sometimes hard-drive recovery is still possible. In this video, note the hidden screw in the following hard-drive repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAMjdrUf9V4

The 10 plus hours of video links on this thread provides many tips and tricks that are useful in opening doors in today's high tech world.

enjoy

Old 05-30-2022, 07:41 PM

278 posts, read 81,746 times
What I did was look at various prebuilt PCs that were rated highly, copied their specs, looked for a nearby store with friendly techs and lots of parts, and convinced them to assemble a PC for me following one or more configurations I showed using parts they already had. After giving suggestions and making a few changes to avoid incompatibilities and to offer alternative parts they had, I agreed and they assembled the machine for me in an hour.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:07 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfyman View Post
What I did was look at various prebuilt PCs that were rated highly, copied their specs, looked for a nearby store with friendly techs and lots of parts, and convinced them to assemble a PC for me following one or more configurations I showed using parts they already had. After giving suggestions and making a few changes to avoid incompatibilities and to offer alternative parts they had, I agreed and they assembled the machine for me in an hour.
That is pretty smart, and for those who are not confident or want it done fast and proper, there is no shame in letting a pro do the dirty work.

Especially, if you have the money and prefer to spend your time on something else.

Over the years, in a way PC building gotten seemingly more complicated due to the increase in variety of parts and case types, not to mention all the cosmetic bells and whistles available now.
On the other hand, due to advancement and product improvements, in some ways, it also got seemingly easier. Plus, the abundant online resources to help even the most novice builder to get thru even if it seemed like a daunting process at first.

Back in the day, I used to ask people "What will you be using the computer for?"
This helped me figure out whether a basic or a moderate or a more beefy system was in order.
Typically, 90% of the homes users would not need a gaming system so it'd be either the least expensive system that would do the job or perhaps something a bit more powerful if they were planning on using Office, QuickBooks or some video/photo editing software.

Then I would start checking out barebone systems on now defunct Pricewatch.com.
That site was my main stop for almost two decades. It would have all the computer components and accessories listed in categories and would show the lowest price of the day offered by whichever vendor in US. So, they vendors were constantly in competition with each other.
Another cool thing about the site was, they had Intel and AMD motherboard combos that came with CPU and also RAM, too. This way you wouldn't have to worry about what type/size RAM to buy. Both CPU and RAM would come pre-installed on the motherboard and such a package would also save you a few bucks as well.

Motherboard and CPU compatibility is a no-brainer but RAM was and still is a bit tricky. Once you know which motherboard you are getting, it is best to visit the vendor's website and look up the details for the motherboard RAM compatibility list. It is always best to get the RAM that was approved by the motherboard manufacturer.

I would spend days gathering information and making a list on the components I was going to get but also tried to have a runner-up for most any components just in case the main one was not available. The better the research and shopping around, the more stable and inexpensive the end result.

Nowadays, most everyone simply visits PCPartPicker.com
They have most any build variation you can imagine plus links to purchase the components.
It makes the entire process much easier!

Old 06-01-2022, 01:50 AM

278 posts, read 81,746 times
I can assemble a PC by myself, but I do this because I don't have to order and wait for parts to arrive, don't have to worry about making mistakes when installing things like the power supply, get helpful advice if the techs are young and gamers (which means they know which parts are compatible, the best, and cheaper), get the same rig as prebuilt ones but at much lower prices, can bring the thing back to the shop in case there's something wrong or I need something more installed because it's nearby, and in some cases the labor's free because I buy everything from the same shop.

Old 06-01-2022, 03:42 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is getting to be far to much, Corrolla. 5 pages, 10+ videos. There is such a thing as too much info, Anyone seriously considering a build is going to come here and see this and the eyes will glaze over... I mean add in the 4 HOUR VIDEO and you probably have 9 hours of videos here.

I checked the you tube video dates, one is 2019 with the other 2018 which means you don't want the products used in them so why watch them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That is pretty smart, and for those who are not confident or want it done fast and proper, there is no shame in letting a pro do the dirty work.

Especially, if you have the money and prefer to spend your time on something else.

Over the years, in a way PC building gotten seemingly more complicated due to the increase in variety of parts and case types, not to mention all the cosmetic bells and whistles available now.
On the other hand, due to advancement and product improvements, in some ways, it also got seemingly easier. Plus, the abundant online resources to help even the most novice builder to get thru even if it seemed like a daunting process at first.

Back in the day, I used to ask people "What will you be using the computer for?"
This helped me figure out whether a basic or a moderate or a more beefy system was in order.
Typically, 90% of the homes users would not need a gaming system so it'd be either the least expensive system that would do the job or perhaps something a bit more powerful if they were planning on using Office, QuickBooks or some video/photo editing software.

Then I would start checking out barebone systems on now defunct Pricewatch.com.
That site was my main stop for almost two decades. It would have all the computer components and accessories listed in categories and would show the lowest price of the day offered by whichever vendor in US. So, they vendors were constantly in competition with each other.
Another cool thing about the site was, they had Intel and AMD motherboard combos that came with CPU and also RAM, too. This way you wouldn't have to worry about what type/size RAM to buy. Both CPU and RAM would come pre-installed on the motherboard and such a package would also save you a few bucks as well.

Motherboard and CPU compatibility is a no-brainer but RAM was and still is a bit tricky. Once you know which motherboard you are getting, it is best to visit the vendor's website and look up the details for the motherboard RAM compatibility list. It is always best to get the RAM that was approved by the motherboard manufacturer.

I would spend days gathering information and making a list on the components I was going to get but also tried to have a runner-up for most any components just in case the main one was not available. The better the research and shopping around, the more stable and inexpensive the end result.

Nowadays, most everyone simply visits PCPartPicker.com
They have most any build variation you can imagine plus links to purchase the components.
It makes the entire process much easier!

When I built computers, it was usually what is your budget? I'd then build the best I could with how much they had to spend. A lot of the old sites are gone, Newegg where I bought most of my stuff from is a joke. Too bad Maximum PC wiped out their forum. Lots of smart people there.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:11 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfyman View Post
get helpful advice if the techs are young and gamers (which means they know which parts are compatible, the best, and cheaper),
I feel I should be offended by this. What does age have to do with being a gamer? I'm an old gamer and promise you I can build circles around these young punks.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:59 AM

The great part about any computer related field is lots of high paying jobs exist.

Here is a link to a short video that addresses gamer opportunities in the computer world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVvSy9RQ0LY

Here is another link that posts more then 88,000 Computer Gamer Related help wanted ads.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/Computer-Gaming

Old 06-01-2022, 09:06 AM

Default Entry level Gamer builds that are repeatable for the budget minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I checked the you tube video dates, one is 2019 with the other 2018 which means you don't want the products used in them so why watch them?

When I built computers, it was usually what is your budget? I'd then build the best I could with how much they had to spend. A lot of the old sites are gone, Newegg where I bought most of my stuff from is a joke. Too bad Maximum PC wiped out their forum. Lots of smart people there.

Here's a few recent entry level Gamer builds that are repeatable for the budget minded first time builder.

I'm sure prices have gone up and shortages still exist but these computer builds are an interesting entry as in: (Building Gaming Computers on a budget.) I would do a lot of research and comparing, both upsides and downsides of any computer purchase..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XBr9ApRDO8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers