Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

Very accurate post! Although CT residents are not "racist," there is an undertone that just simply isn't exposed. And the racism goes both ways (black to white; white to black). People may not show or behave in a racist manner, but many of them secretly don't want blacks moving into their neighborhood, because it's too foreign for them, or they fear that property values may decline, or crime rates will increase.

I will admit, as a white person, there is a certain level of tension between whites and blacks in non-urban areas. For example, if a white person drives by a black person driving and they quickly glance at each other, they will quickly glance back at the road. There is a certain degree of discomfort/tension in situations like this. Each driver subconsciously thinks, "oh, I just looked at a black (or white) person," with no meaningful implication whatsoever. The racial difference does cross peoples' minds, but they will be more welcoming and nicer than ever if they were to actually interact and talk and hangout with each other.

I think all it boils down to is that many people in CT grow up in either extremely white or extremely black neighborhoods, so they're simply not used to seeing people of the opposite skin color. But I mean, at work I have a black friend, and I love her and we get along great and can talk for hours.

We can have all sorts of legislation passed regarding racism, but there is one thing that law cannot change, and that is human nature. It's just natural for people to feel more comfortable around others who are similar to themselves or what they grew up around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 AM

570 posts, read 1,584,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutorreach View Post
We're thinking of accepting a job offer in Connecticut. We are looking for a nice middle to upper-middle class community that is racially/ethnically diverse and has great schools. Are there any towns/cities in CT that fit that bill? Also, is there much of a sense of community among African-Americans in CT? Any insights on race relations there and in general what it's like to live there would be appreciated.
My first queston is are you African or American ?? I could never understand that, You can't be both.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 AM

235 posts, read 783,661 times
Seriously, 5 pages on this subject? I'm amazed at some of the stuff posted (and no, I'm not white and have lived in CT 5 years). If the OP's reasons to return are economic (as stated), all I can say is take the job and live in a place that you like/can afford. My guess is racism would be a much less significant (and probably non-existent) concern when compared to getting and keeping a decent job here, no matter which town you choose to live in.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 AM

294 posts, read 782,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Hi, I'm relocating to CT and heard the cities are crawling with black people...I'm looking for some diversity and a mostly white neighborhood as I went to the city once and a black person was mean to me so I figure they all must be that way. Where do you recommend?
Anyone else see how stupid this sounds when put in an opposite context?

No need to get ya pants all bunched up over it, JViello!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
My first queston is are you African or American ?? I could never understand that, You can't be both.

But it's OK to be Irish-American or Italian-American, right???

Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Why are people criticizing the OP (whatever that stands for)? This is a legitimate topic for a legitimate concern.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times
Boy this thread has become a fishnet for trolls and fake posters. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
No need to get ya pants all bunched up over it, JViello!
Nothing of the sort going on.

Quote:
But it's OK to be Irish-American or Italian-American, right???
No.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,306,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY_CT View Post
I wouldn't doubt it if Connecticut has the most CLOSET RACISTS in the entire country.
Have you ever been to Windham County, or do we not count as Connecticut? It's well out in the open up here. Thompson and Plainfield for example have had their fair share of racial problems in recent years.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Boy this thread has become a fishnet for trolls and fake posters. Wow.

Nothing of the sort going on.

No.

I disagree. I see no problem with having pride in and acknowledging one's ancestral lineage. I think it distract nothing form being an American Since none of us historically are from here anyway. Except the Native Americans, of course.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times
Quote:
I disagree. I see no problem with having pride in and acknowledging one's ancestral lineage. I think it distract nothing form being an American Since none of us historically are from here anyway. Except the Native Americans, of course.
Wasn't the answer you were expecting I see.

What I find funny is that citizens of the United States think we are the only country in the "Americas".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut