Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

As expected it looks the commute this morning should be fine. As of the 7:00 Am obs nowhere in CT or the Tri-State area was reporting any snow or rain.

The precip is still an hr away for most areas. They thought the storm would move a little faster, but it has slowed down some. Also, the good news is that temps didn't drop off that much last night. This is helpful: Now the snow must overcome a warmer ground surface where it was raining and near 40 F on Monday. In any event, it seems that there will now be some rain in coastal areas at the onset of the precip before it goes over to snow. Still looks like a quick in and out event.

Skies will clear fast later today as the storm ejects out east...and the rest of the week will feel like mid December = COLD....but we will be dry and sunny in the Tri-State:

Old 12-10-2013, 05:59 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Not liking the trends. Could easily see half foot in many areas.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
As expected it looks the commute this morning should be fine. As of the 7:00 Am obs nowhere in CT or the Tri-State area was reporting any snow or rain.

The precip is still an hr away for most areas. They thought the storm would move a little faster, but it has slowed down some. Also, the good news is that temps didn't drop off that much last night. This is helpful: Now the snow must overcome a warmer ground surface where it was raining and near 40 F on Monday. In any event, it seems that there will now be some rain in coastal areas at the onset of the precip before it goes over to snow. Still looks like a quick in and out event.

Skies will clear fast later today as the storm ejects out east...and the rest of the week will feel like mid December = COLD....but we will be dry and sunny in the Tri-State:
Trust me, it overcame it FAST. Here in southern Westchester at 7:30am it was a rain/wet snow mix and by 8am it was sticking quite quickly (not so much to the road yet, but it's getting there).

Looks like virtually every school district in the tri-state area (I assume the rest of CT as well) is closed today.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Flurries to light snow within 5 minutes. Wow. Dusting of snow within 10 minutes.
33° and snowing lightly

That map is interesting.....if the snow is moving NW to SE it will only go a couple of hours (though at the intensity I'm seeing that could easily be a few inches) and I could even see Wavehunter's bold prediction of sun at the end of the day. If it goes SW to NE we're in it all day......

Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Also, the good news is that temps didn't drop off that much last night. This is helpful: Now the snow must overcome a warmer ground surface where it was raining and near 40 F on Monday.
Here inland it is a slippery mess this morning, it was 30 degrees at 6 am. Temperatures were below freezing overnight and black ice is everywhere. I saw someone play bumper cars with a guardrail this morning on an entrance ramp and the secondary roads around my house were quite slick. Some snow on top of that should equal good times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Looks like virtually every school district in the tri-state area (I assume the rest of CT as well) is closed today.....
Schools around me in CT are open...Glastonbury, Marlborough, Hebron are all operating as usual.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:13 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not liking the trends. Could easily see half foot in many areas.
I'm loving the trends! Looks like our first small storm of the season. What area's will see half a foot? I didn't see any forecast showing that. Everyone is calling 2-4

Old 12-10-2013, 06:13 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
I'm predicting 5" for Wallingford. That is based on gut since there are way to many predictions that are different on this one. Come on snow!

Old 12-10-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Trust me, it overcame it FAST. Here in southern Westchester at 7:30am it was a rain/wet snow mix and by 8am it was sticking quite quickly (not so much to the road yet, but it's getting there).

I think they closed the schools (a good idea) as they were likely worried about the ride home for the kids since they get out early (2 - 3:30 PM). So they might have to drive in it.

As far as current conditions - so far nothing in the New Haven area along the coast. I left at 7:00 am and the ride was fine. I just hope it's all out of here by 5:00 PM. NWS thinks this system is in/out before the rush tonight at 5:00 PM. This system slowed down but now seems to be really speeding up again. That should help keep snowfall totals down. I'm think 2 to 4....1 to 3....something in that range.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:15 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:

Dangerous advise and patently false. Sw ct was snowing at 7am. most SW CT districts are closed. 8am and blizzard like here in midtown Manhattan. Head south quick, this weather is going to overcome warm weather softies.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Here inland it is a slippery mess this morning, it was 30 degrees at 6 am. Temperatures were below freezing overnight and black ice is everywhere. I saw someone play bumper cars with a guardrail this morning on an entrance ramp and the secondary roads around my house were quite slick. Some snow on top of that should equal good times!

Schools around me in CT are open...Glastonbury, Marlborough, Hebron are all operating as usual.

Yes, you guys up north were colder than we were in southern CT, I never even went below freezing last night as far as I can tell. We only had wet roads this morning, with a little coastal fog. This is the time of year every click south in the Tri-State area means a lot - lol.

As far as the schools, I thought some were closed...but maybe your right, maybe some did not cancel. Not a good idea IMO - as by about 2:00 the storm will still be here, though nearing the end. We'll see I guess.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,062 times
everyone is closed in SW ct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut