Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 12:57 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In New Jersey, Amtrak goes 125 mph. Connecticut is pathetic.
That is ONLY in sections of central New Jersey. You certainly don't see that in northern New Jersey or around Philadelphia. Plus you are comparing sections of track that go through open flatlands to those that go through densely developed coastal areas. Not sure what you expect. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 01:07 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,238,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Read the post I was responding to. GeoffD was complaining about rail service from Connecticut but the problem is not in our state, it is in New York. What can Connecticut do about a problem that is in New York? He is complaining about a system that was designed and built 150 years ago. We know it needs improvement but that needs to be addressed by New York and Amtrak. Connecticut has little control over it. Jay
Connecticut COULD build high-speed rail from, say, I-84 at the Massachusetts border to Greenwich running across the state at 180MPH in one hour, including dwell time at Hartford. It only requires (expensive) land and (expensive) labor. But it is technically achievable.

I would wager that MA would extend such a right-of-way to Worcester, connecting onward to Boston, and that NY would run trains from the CT state line, express to Penn Station or Grand Central, even at current speeds a distance of circa 30 minutes.

There is no technical reason that a train on a high speed ROW could not make the journey from Hartford to NYC or to Boston in 90 minutes or less. It's really astonishing how slow the current train schedule is now.

The political will, however, is not there.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:10 PM

712 posts, read 543,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is ONLY in sections of central New Jersey. You certainly don't see that in northern New Jersey or around Philadelphia. Plus you are comparing sections of track that go through open flatlands to those that go through densely developed coastal areas. Not sure what you expect. Jay
New Jersey train had frequent troubles. Penn Station had frequent troubles too over past couple of years.

Train got stuck today in the peak morning hour:

NJ Transit Train Gets Stuck, Stranding Commuters - NBC New York

NJ Transit Train Gets Stuck, Stranding Commuters

Another thing I noticed from media is that their estimate was low ball. I was stuck in metro north train earlier this year for one incident for 2 hours, the media said 1 hour delay.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:10 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Connecticut COULD build high-speed rail from, say, I-84 at the Massachusetts border to Greenwich running across the state at 180MPH in one hour, including dwell time at Hartford. It only requires (expensive) land and (expensive) labor. But it is technically achievable.

I would wager that MA would extend such a right-of-way to Worcester, connecting onward to Boston, and that NY would run trains from the CT state line, express to Penn Station or Grand Central, even at current speeds a distance of circa 30 minutes.

There is no technical reason that a train on a high speed ROW could not make the journey from Hartford to NYC or to Boston in 90 minutes or less. It's really astonishing how slow the current train schedule is now.

Hire 5000-7000 workers we get it done less than two years like China

Old 08-29-2017, 01:16 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:

This is what Amtrak is considering right now but the costs are in the multiple billions with no way to pay for it. While politically it is suicide, financially it is very difficult if not impossible at best. Jay

Old 08-29-2017, 04:49 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:

With enough money anything is possible, but the terrain in this area would require numerous bridges and tunnels. That alone would reduce the potential speeds of train(s). The coastal route (even if it was moved inland 10 miles or so) makes more sense.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
With enough money anything is possible, but the terrain in this area would require numerous bridges and tunnels. That alone would reduce the potential speeds of train(s). The coastal route (even if it was moved inland 10 miles or so) makes more sense.
Which is why Amtrak should just run high speed rail to the Hudson via Western Massachusetts and let Connecticut drown in their cesspool. Every Connecticut rail infrastructure proposal gets rich NIMBY people filing lawsuits. Fine.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 AM

I email Hard Rock Cafe last week and they said they're still planning on building a apartments, hotel, restaurant across the street from Yard Goats Stadium. In coming weeks they going unveil their new plan they want add supermarket in their plans.

Last edited by BPt111; 08-30-2017 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 11:05 AM

413 posts, read 317,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I email Hard Rock Cafe last week and they said they're still planning on building a apartments, hotel, supermarket and restaurant across the street from Yard Goats Stadium. In coming weeks they going unveil their new plan
The Hard Rock was going to build a supermarket? Something doesn't seem quite right with that post. Care to elaborate?

Old 08-30-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
The Hard Rock was going to build a supermarket? Something doesn't seem quite right with that post. Care to elaborate?
They thinking of adding some kind of supermarket in the development they want to add apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut