Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 01:39 PM

413 posts, read 317,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Federal law prevents the use of interstate highway right of way for anything but a limited access highway. Either the law would have to change which is not as easy as it sounds, or they would have to buy a separate right if way along side of it. Jay
Virginia ran metro right down the middle of I-66.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 02:05 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
Federal law prevents the use of interstate highway right of way for anything but a limited access highway. Either the law would have to change which is not as easy as it sounds, or they would have to buy a separate right if way along side of it. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Chicago also runs a subway line in the center of the highway. Not sure what line it is, but its the same one that goes to/from O'Hare. Perhaps these lines were built before the federal rule I don't know otherwise it seems possible for lines to be built onto or adjacent to highways.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:47 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Chicago also runs a subway line in the center of the highway. Not sure what line it is, but its the same one that goes to/from O'Hare. Perhaps these lines were built before the federal rule I don't know otherwise it seems possible for lines to be built onto or adjacent to highways.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:25 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
The train tracks were there first. They aligned the highway around the tracks because that was the only location that would be acceptable to local residents. Jay

Old 09-03-2017, 04:57 PM

This highway was not built as an interstate highway. Like I-95 in Connecticut, it was built before the Interstate Highway Act of 1956 and was designated an interstate highway after it was built. I should clarify what I meant though. Highways built under the Interstate Highway Act of 1956 have a restriction of how the land taken for it can be used. There have been cases where interstates have been built around existing or planned rail lines but not where the highway right if way has been converted to a train line. Remember interstates were built as defense highway to move troops and military equipment around the country efficiently. Allowing a different use would preclude that. Jay

Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,099,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
This is true. I've driven to Chicago several times in the past few years and have seen them. There is a CTA line running from around downtown Chicago towards Indiana and the line sits in the middle of I 90. And there is another line that runs in the middle of the interstate west of Chicago.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
This is true. I've driven to Chicago several times in the past few years and have seen them. There is a CTA line running from around downtown Chicago towards Indiana and the line sits in the middle of I 90. And there is another line that runs in the middle of the interstate west of Chicago.
As I noted above, that highway was built before there were interstates. Not the same. Jay

Old 09-04-2017, 12:47 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
Quote:
This highway was not built as an interstate highway. Like I-95 in Connecticut, it was built before the Interstate Highway Act of 1956 and was designated an interstate highway after it was built. I should clarify what I meant though. Highways built under the Interstate Highway Act of 1956 have a restriction of how the land taken for it can be used. There have been cases where interstates have been built around existing or planned rail lines but not where the highway right if way has been converted to a train line. Remember interstates were built as defense highway to move troops and military equipment around the country efficiently. Allowing a different use would preclude that. Jay
Well that must be not the case in Atlanta. Route 400 which was built in 70's has subway in the middle. Always many lanes around Atlanta are 12 and more lanes

Old 09-04-2017, 02:09 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,968 times
Route 400 is a GA state highway.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:47 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,099,741 times
I think this will clear up this issue. Interstates were built before the L lines in Chicago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-question.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut