Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 11:17 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times

Advertisements

Can Hartford become college town

https://www.google.com/amp/www.coura...story,amp.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 12:40 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I read this article in this mornings Courant. It has some interesting ideas but is missing the one true thing that college students and other young people are looking for and that is nightlife. To be more precise, bars. Whether we like it or not this is what the majority of kids are looking for. That is why many drive down to New Haven or head to Boston or New York. Unfortunately Hartford is moving away from this not toward it. The recent closing of the bars on Allyn Street have made Hartford even less interesting to kids. This article seems to skirt this subject and instead talks about things like lighting and inexpensive places to eat. That is fine but is hardly an attraction for college kids. Jay

Old 11-19-2017, 01:19 PM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I read this article in this mornings Courant. It has some interesting ideas but is missing the one true thing that college students and other young people are looking for and that is nightlife. To be more precise, bars. Whether we like it or not this is what the majority of kids are looking for. That is why many drive down to New Haven or head to Boston or New York. Unfortunately Hartford is moving away from this not toward it. The recent closing of the bars on Allyn Street have made Hartford even less interesting to kids. This article seems to skirt this subject and instead talks about things like lighting and inexpensive places to eat. That is fine but is hardly an attraction for college kids. Jay
New Haven area best nightlife in CT then Stamford

Old 12-01-2017, 11:27 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
The Capitol Region Development Authority has recommended that the Hartford Sports Group be selected to redevelop Dillon Stadium into a professional soccer stadium. The city now has the final say but it is good news that there was such strong interest in bringing professional soccer to Hartford. Jay

CRDA recommends Hartford Sports Group to develop Dillon Stadium | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 12-01-2017, 06:12 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
^^^Cincinnati is in the running for a MLS team right now. But apparently Sacramento and Nashville are ahead in the sweepstakes while Detroit and Cincy are likely to be candidates for the next expansion. MLS wants a dedicated Soccer only stadium and Detroit apparently has indicated they would use Ford Field where the Lions play.

If Hartford can build a dedicated Soccer only stadium then it has a chance at getting a franchise when the MLS works on expanding. Have heard they want 28 teams and currently they stand at 24. Hartford may have a shot at it during the next phase of expansion.

The United Soccer League is apparently a second their pro league which still has a pretty good caliber of players. While the MLS requires a grass field at least the USL will accept the artificial turf being proposed for the development of the new Hartford stadium. But clearly the MLS should be a consideration at some point if Hartford lands a USL team and they become successful. Cincy has had a real success story with their team in the USL and have drawn large crowds and even have local TV coverage.

While I have no interest in Soccer it certainly would be a asset for the Hartford area if they can obtain a team.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:11 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
While the MLS requires a grass field
MLS doesn't require a grass field. I have had Revs season tickets at Gillette. It's the same synthetic turf the Patriots play on. The only time it's grass is when they're hosting international events. They rolled out grass for Copa America events in 2016. They filled the stadium for an Argentina-Venezuela match. It's kind of cool to see real turf rolled out at Gillette. The NFL made the Patriots get rid of it quite a few years ago because it got all beat up by December and was paint over dirt.

I know the Seattle Sounders/Seahawks play on the same synthetic turf as at Gillette. FieldTurf Revolution.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
MLS doesn't require a grass field. I have had Revs season tickets at Gillette. It's the same synthetic turf the Patriots play on. The only time it's grass is when they're hosting international events. They rolled out grass for Copa America events in 2016. They filled the stadium for an Argentina-Venezuela match. It's kind of cool to see real turf rolled out at Gillette. The NFL made the Patriots get rid of it quite a few years ago because it got all beat up by December and was paint over dirt.

I know the Seattle Sounders/Seahawks play on the same synthetic turf as at Gillette. FieldTurf Revolution.
Odd. I've been listening to a talk station in Cincinnati concerning the proposed stadium for that city and they're claiming the MLS requires a grass field. No synthetic field of any kind. May be a new mandate?

Hartford tried major league soccer before. The Hartford Bicentennials and later the Hellions. Will be interesting to see if they can keep a team this time. Pro sports have always had a tough time making it in this market. I suspect being sandwiched between Boston and NYC is the reason.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:40 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,145,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
While it is true that some Hartford bars have closed and the they are not as lively as they once were, a bar desert downtown certainly is not. Vaughn's, McKinnon's, The Russell, Arch Street Tavern, Pig's Eye Pub, Black Eyed Sally's, The Russian Lady, The Tavern Downtown, The Iron Horse Saloon.... I'm probably forgetting some. All within walking distance from each other. Go a little further and you have The Half Door on Farmington Avenue, the new Hooker brewery that just opened on Hyshope Avenue...

Last edited by ryanthegoldengod; 12-03-2017 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 01:00 PM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
While it is true that some Hartford bars have closed and the they are not as lively as they once were, a bar desert downtown certainly is not. Vaughn's, McKinnon's, The Russell, Arch Street Tavern, Pig's Eye Pub, Black Eyed Sally's, The Russian Lady, The Tavern Downtown, The Iron Horse Saloon.... I'm probably forgetting some. All within walking distance from each other. Go a little further and you have The Half Door on Farmington Avenue, the new Hooker brewery that just opened on Hyshope Avenue...
Very homogenous bar scene though, unlike the interesting mix in New Haven

Old 12-03-2017, 01:29 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Very homogenous bar scene though, unlike the interesting mix in New Haven
Well, the college campus just opened this summer, so I think you'll need to allow a bit of time before you start getting a better mix of things. 2,000 additional students isn't a massive number, but it's certainly enough to add a bit more variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut