Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 11:22 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Yes, couldn't agree more but all that great stuff comes at a price for quality, you need 6 and up. I'm not about to discover the Holy Grail, everyone knows the following - you get more for your dollar up in Milford-New Haven if you don't need the daily drive down to the Stub or NY. Would I personally sacrfice a quality home up in Milford for Fairfield if I had that Stub or NY commute? yes I probably would
There are a lot of good homes in Fairfield under $600,000. They aren’t new but still very nice. Here’s a couple.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...58781966_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57290002_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57289719_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57295276_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...77257208_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...77298546_zpid/

Old 05-01-2020, 12:06 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Frankly though, I wouldn't be sad to see some Milford gems like TGIF and Applebees bite the bullet.
*Orange

Old 05-01-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, couldn't agree more but all that great stuff comes at a price for quality, you need 6 and up. I'm not about to discover the Holy Grail, everyone knows the following - you get more for your dollar up in Milford-New Haven if you don't need the daily drive down to the Stub or NY. Would I personally sacrfice a quality home up in Milford for Fairfield if I had that Stub or NY commute? yes I probably would
Unless your stub job is train accessible. Easy peasy.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,645,057 times
Oh yeah for sure, in some parts of Fairfield you can probably even get by with $450K if you don't mind a small house. Not sure where Steve is going with this, but for me as I was saying earlier when my family relocates back to CT, we could definitely afford to move back to Fairfield but we just don't see the point in paying extra while we could get a bigger house for quite a bit cheaper in Milford or the suburban areas of New Haven like West Rock, Westville, or East Shore. I have 7 kids although, by the time we relocate, 3 of them will be grown up and either in college or working full time, so it will only be 4 kids that will still be living with us when we move, but with that said we want a good sized house like maybe 1800-2500 sq ft. While our budget could honestly go up to 650K, we personally do not want to go over 400K, the cheaper the better for us. If we could even get something for like 280K, that would be amazing, although likely won't happen with a big enough house even in Milford or New Haven.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Oh yeah for sure, in some parts of Fairfield you can probably even get by with $450K if you don't mind a small house. Not sure where Steve is going with this, but for me as I was saying earlier when my family relocates back to CT, we could definitely afford to move back to Fairfield but we just don't see the point in paying extra while we could get a bigger house for quite a bit cheaper in Milford or the suburban areas of New Haven like West Rock, Westville, or East Shore. I have 7 kids although, by the time we relocate, 3 of them will be grown up and either in college or working full time, so it will only be 4 kids that will still be living with us when we move, but with that said we want a good sized house like maybe 1800-2500 sq ft. While our budget could honestly go up to 650K, we personally do not want to go over 400K, the cheaper the better for us. If we could even get something for like 280K, that would be amazing, although likely won't happen with a big enough house even in Milford or New Haven.
How do you find time for the tournament?!

Woodbridge near the Westville line could be cool too, get the good schools and easy access to Westville. Obviously Milford taxes are quite a bit lower than both so that's a consideration too.

How about East Rock? That's my favorite residential neighborhood in New Haven. So beautiful.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:28 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Seven kids? Oh my, God bless you and your wife. That is almost unheard of these days. Good luck with them.

I believe Steve was referring to people commuting down to Stamford or New York. There is no doubt you would get more for your money in the New Haven area. If you want even more, head further east to the New London. You likely could find what you want/need for close to your lower budget but you are giving up living near a major city/employment center. It’s your choice. Jay

Old 05-01-2020, 12:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,645,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
How do you find time for the tournament?!

Woodbridge near the Westville line could be cool too, get the good schools and easy access to Westville. Obviously Milford taxes are quite a bit lower than both so that's a consideration too.

How about East Rock? That's my favorite residential neighborhood in New Haven. So beautiful.
Well Stylo, all my kids are pretty old. My youngest one is 11 years old. My oldest one has already graduated from University, and my second oldest one is just about to finish his junior year of college. None of my kids these days really need that much attention from us, as they enjoy hanging out with each other and goof around a lot. Also these days I have all the time in the world, because I am working from home of course due to quarantine and there honestly isn't actually that much to do right now. I work in IT as a system administrator, and since everyone is under quarantine there is not much that needs to be done these days. I just do daily checks and software updates here and there these days, but that's all my job is right now. With the disciplines efficiency I have in getting things done, honestly the tournament doesn't even take up too much of my time other than setting everything up at the beginning and counting all the results at the very end of the whole thing.

East Rock is a very good neighborhood as well, but it is kind of in the middle of everything, and we want to be a little more on the outskirts. Most likely my job will be in downtown New Haven actually because I know someone who owns a private company with an IT department there, and they wanted me to work for them for a long time. However, one of the managers and I agreed that I would come and take a job there in 2 years, because one of the system administrators there announced his retirement a year ago that he plans to retire in 2022, and I will replace him. However, here is the issue as well: my kids are gonna go to Christian Heritage School in Trumbull, and I plan to take them there every day, so that's kind of my short commute in the morning before I go to work. Westville/West Rock area will put us very close to the Merritt Pkwy so we can get right on the highway. East Shore is a really nice area too, but its definitely not our first choice because its not really the most convenient. We might consider East Rock honestly as well if we don't find anything we like in Westville/West Rock or maybe Milford. Still time to think about it!

Old 05-01-2020, 01:01 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times

These are much nicer, and much better for commuting, but gonna cost you. Both just sold in the last week or so despite the pandemic conditions. The CT real estate market is displaying some amazing resiliency.

Were my complimentary comments too flowery? I'm sorry, I'll cut it out.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...58784849_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...57302856_zpid/

Old 05-01-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Well Stylo, all my kids are pretty old. My youngest one is 11 years old. My oldest one has already graduated from University, and my second oldest one is just about to finish his junior year of college. None of my kids these days really need that much attention from us, as they enjoy hanging out with each other and goof around a lot. Also these days I have all the time in the world, because I am working from home of course due to quarantine and there honestly isn't actually that much to do right now. I work in IT as a system administrator, and since everyone is under quarantine there is not much that needs to be done these days. I just do daily checks and software updates here and there these days, but that's all my job is right now. With the disciplines efficiency I have in getting things done, honestly the tournament doesn't even take up too much of my time other than setting everything up at the beginning and counting all the results at the very end of the whole thing.

East Rock is a very good neighborhood as well, but it is kind of in the middle of everything, and we want to be a little more on the outskirts. Most likely my job will be in downtown New Haven actually because I know someone who owns a private company with an IT department there, and they wanted me to work for them for a long time. However, one of the managers and I agreed that I would come and take a job there in 2 years, because one of the system administrators there announced his retirement a year ago that he plans to retire in 2022, and I will replace him. However, here is the issue as well: my kids are gonna go to Christian Heritage School in Trumbull, and I plan to take them there every day, so that's kind of my short commute in the morning before I go to work. Westville/West Rock area will put us very close to the Merritt Pkwy so we can get right on the highway. East Shore is a really nice area too, but its definitely not our first choice because its not really the most convenient. We might consider East Rock honestly as well if we don't find anything we like in Westville/West Rock or maybe Milford. Still time to think about it!
Gotcha, yeah–East Shore would be tricky going through the city to get to Trumbull. East Rock would be about the same commute. Glad to hear the kids are not such a handful!

Old 05-01-2020, 04:55 PM

465 posts, read 303,913 times
Fairfield County

Westport vs Greenwich -

Fairfield vs Ridgefield -

New Haven County

New Haven vs Guilford -

Madison vs Milford -

Hartford County

Glastonbury vs West Hartford -

Simsbury vs Farmington -

Middlesex County

Old Saybrook vs Essex -

New London County

Stonington vs North Stonington -

Waterford vs East Lyme -

Litchfield County

Kent vs Litchfield -

Woodbury vs Bridgewater -

Tolland County

Mansfield vs Hebron -

Windham County

Woodstock vs Pomfret - This is the one I'm pulling for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut