Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 09:27 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,356,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
FINAL ROUND:

Deadline: Friday June 5th at 8:00pm Connecticut Time.

Fairfield vs Milford

New Haven vs Old Saybrook (For Third & Fourth Place)

So there we have it with the Final Round! We've got the final and the Third Place Fixture for the two losers to determine third and fourth place. Who is READY for the FINAL ROUND!!!
#1 Fairfield
#2 Milford
#3 New Haven
#4 Old Saybrook

I wanted to see New Haven win this year.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:15 AM

2,203 posts, read 1,649,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
#1 Fairfield
#2 Milford
#3 New Haven
#4 Old Saybrook

I wanted to see New Haven win this year.
Are your votes for Fairfield and New Haven? Please confirm.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:27 AM

2,203 posts, read 1,649,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You make a couple of interesting comments here. I'm wondering where in Milford you could live and get by well without a car? Maybe right on the Post Road? I don't really understand that comment. The other comment is the one about chain restaurants. To me, the prevalence of chains, and the relative absence of quality independent restaurants, is a drawback rather than an asset.
Dazzleman, that is a very good question. I'm not sure if anyone could live there without a car, but my wife and I definitely could. I'd say anywhere around Downtown or off of Route 1.

Did you know that there are a few public transportation busses that run around Milford as well? http://www.milfordtransit.com/src/MT...le-3-27-18.pdf

You can honestly likely manage anywhere in Milford without a car except Wheelers Farm area or the Northern part of Milford near the Merritt Pkwy. Anywhere else is accessible by a bus. As I mentioned a few times on here, my family will be relocating back to CT in the next 2 years, and Milford is probably going to be where we relocate for many reasons. One of the reasons is that my wife does not drive, and I travel a lot for business and in Milford she and the kids will be able to get around when I'm out of town.

There are also many independent great restaurants as well. There is almost everything in Milford. I do agree that for the most part independent restaurants outweigh chain ones, but our families especially many of our kids do enjoy a few great chain restaurants like: Chili's, Olive Garden, On the Border Mexican, Outback Steakhouse, Applebees, IHOP, and Hibachi Buffet. Many of those are in Orange actually (not Milford) but it is right down Post Rd next door. Not always, but many of those chain restaurants are often more reasonably priced than the really good independent sit down restaurants and that is just very good for our kids, because often on Friday nights, our kids like to hangout together without us at a chain restaurant for dinner.

But I wouldn't say that Milford has any absence of independent restaurants whatsoever. It probably is the town with the most restaurants in the whole state. What town honestly has more food options or restaurants? New Haven, West Hartford maybe? Possibly NH, and while WH has many restaurants as well, I don't think it has more variety than Milford.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:12 AM

21,772 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Quote:
To me, the prevalence of chains, and the relative absence of quality independent restaurants, is a drawback rather than an asset..
This is false. Independent restaurants FAR outweigh chains in Milford.

There are just 5 sit down national chain restaurants in Milford.

Cracker Barrel, Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Robin, Chili’s, Hooters.

There are more than 50 local/independent sit down restaurants. In addition, local restaurants appear to have more staying power. Some chains have come and gone over the years quickly.

I’ve seen this stereotype of chain dining thrown around a lot and just want to make it clear that it isn’t true. If you look at a town like Danbury, they have far more national sit down chains.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
But I wouldn't say that Milford has any absence of independent restaurants whatsoever. It probably is the town with the most restaurants in the whole state. What town honestly has more food options or restaurants? New Haven, West Hartford maybe? Possibly NH, and while WH has many restaurants as well, I don't think it has more variety than Milford.
New Haven, by far. West Hartford has a great variety too.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:46 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,955,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
This is false. Independent restaurants FAR outweigh chains in Milford.

There are just 5 sit down national chain restaurants in Milford.

Cracker Barrel, Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Robin, Chili’s, Hooters.

There are more than 50 local/independent sit down restaurants. In addition, local restaurants appear to have more staying power. Some chains have come and gone over the years quickly.

I’ve seen this stereotype of chain dining thrown around a lot and just want to make it clear that it isn’t true. If you look at a town like Danbury, they have far more national sit down chains.
Ok man, I stand corrected! Thanks for the information.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Ok man, I stand corrected! Thanks for the information.
No problem! Sorry if that came across harsh, it’s just a stereotype on the forum I’d like to squash.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:16 PM

6,923 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
No problem! Sorry if that came across harsh, it’s just a stereotype on the forum I’d like to squash.
Fine, but that stretch of Rt 1 is notable for its chain sitdowns, its a legitimate stereotype. Milford-Orange-WH, whatever, for many passerbys it all kind of lumps together.
Most know there is great scratch dining available as well.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:05 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,955,893 times
Quote:
Haha, no it wasn't harsh at all man. I think I must have fallen for the Route 1 stereotype.

Now here's where maybe you can help me. Is the quality of the independent restaurants in Milford similar to Fairfield, or do you think one town or the other has higher quality restaurants and a better restaurant scene?

Old 05-30-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Haha, no it wasn't harsh at all man. I think I must have fallen for the Route 1 stereotype.

Now here's where maybe you can help me. Is the quality of the independent restaurants in Milford similar to Fairfield, or do you think one town or the other has higher quality restaurants and a better restaurant scene?
I think they are very close. Two things I wish Milford had are a good ramen place, like Mecha, and a poke place like Pokemoto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut