Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 01:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I think they are very close. Two things I wish Milford had are a good ramen place, like Mecha, and a poke place like Pokemoto.
I've seen Mecha many times but I have never eaten there. I have to give it a try. I don't even know where Pokemoto is.

Also - I'm curious to hear what you and JayCT think about my commentary on Fairfield in my post to Danny.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:02 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Are your votes for Fairfield and New Haven? Please confirm.
Yes

Old 05-30-2020, 03:19 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I've seen Mecha many times but I have never eaten there. I have to give it a try. I don't even know where Pokemoto is.

Also - I'm curious to hear what you and JayCT think about my commentary on Fairfield in my post to Danny.
I’m not sure what commentary on Fairfield you want my opinion on. I went back several weeks and didn’t see many long comments by you. The couple I did see were short but spot on and I agreed with. Was there something particular you were talking about? Jay

Old 05-30-2020, 03:34 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,645,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not sure what commentary on Fairfield you want my opinion on. I went back several weeks and didn’t see many long comments by you. The couple I did see were short but spot on and I agreed with. Was there something particular you were talking about? Jay
Jay, I think he was referring to what he said here:

Quote:
Now for my voting - This is actually a hard one. I have lived in Fairfield for 25 years and I have always loved the town, but I have a lot of ambivalence about the direction in which the town is moving. It seems to be transforming from a town (albeit a large one, but still unmistakably a town) to a small city, and I don't like that. I am not a city person and have never aspired to live in an urban environment. There are some developments that I have liked, such as the expansion of the restaurant scene with the addition of a lot of good restaurants. But the commercial areas seem increasingly crowded, and before COVID, to run my errands on a Saturday (the only day available for me) had become a nightmare if I didn't get up really early in the morning to do it. I find routine experiences like going to the grocery store becoming more and more of a hassle due to crowding. The town is losing its New England feel and becoming too much like New York. I recognize the signs of unwanted urbanization because it happened the last place I lived, and was a major reason why I moved. In the past, my vote for Fairfield would have been enthusiastic, but now it is becoming more reluctant.

Still, I will stick with voting for Fairfield this time because I think that Milford lacks some of Fairfield's assets, but has or is developing a lot of the same liabilities.
He wants to know your input and what you think about the direction that Fairfield was going.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:44 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Jay, I think he was referring to what he said here:

He wants to know your input and what you think about the direction that Fairfield was going.
That was exactly what I was talking about.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:44 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Haven, by far. West Hartford has a great variety too.
How's the scratch dining in Weho? anything notable?

Old 05-30-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
How's the scratch dining in Weho? anything notable?
If I am being honest I don't know the exact restaurants in West Hartford that well, but I know there are many. While it is considered a suburb of Hartford, it is honestly almost like a city for the most part. I'd say much of it is similar to Downtown Fairfield, but it is like that around the whole town of WH. I have a few friends that live there, so I've been around much of the town, but don't recall eating at any special restaurants there. Jay would probably know a lot better though. I think he has spent a considerable amount of time there.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
That was exactly what I was talking about.
Oh, I did not understand that. I agree that Fairfield is sort of turning into a city. There’s been a lot of high density development in recent years and I’m not sure I agree with all of it.

I think what is being done down at Fairfield Metro Center is good. High density housing around a train station makes sense. But the recent housing proposed on Judd Street seems out of place. The building on the corner of Black Rock Turnpike and Morin’s Place looks a bit odd. And the five story apartment building on Unquowa Place in the Center seems misplaced.

Then again, I’ve been hearing similar complaints for decades. My grandfather complained when they built houses on all the farms after World War II. My father complained about the rash of condos and apartments in the 70’s and 80’s. They both thought that it was the ruin of the town and yet it wasn’t. Now it’s these infill buildings and all the tear downs. Fairfield is a well planned community. It has a lot going for it and that will continue. Jay

Old 05-30-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
If I am being honest I don't know the exact restaurants in West Hartford that well, but I know there are many. While it is considered a suburb of Hartford, it is honestly almost like a city for the most part. I'd say much of it is similar to Downtown Fairfield, but it is like that around the whole town of WH. I have a few friends that live there, so I've been around much of the town, but don't recall eating at any special restaurants there. Jay would probably know a lot better though. I think he has spent a considerable amount of time there.
Restaurant tastes are subjective. West Hartford though has many great places so gheres bound to be something for everyone. In fact I think it’s one of the best dining scenes in the state. The Max restaurants (Max Oyster Bar and Max Burger) are excellent. Bricco and Treva are also wonderful. There’s so many though it’s hard to list here. Jay

Old 05-30-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
In fact I think it’s one of the best dining scenes in the state.
Totally Agreed. I'd say New Haven, Milford, and West Hartford are the best towns for dining in the state by far. There is just so much choices there and something for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut