Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 11:26 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I'll go one further and say that they don't even know where Farmington and West Hartford are, if they've even heard of them. They could be in Massachusetts for all they know.

Greenwich is its own little world.
True, talked to many who never travel east of Fairfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 01:15 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Trumbull, Easton, Fairfield
Trumbull is too middle class and densely developed.

Easton is very rural with no commercial development. It may be similar in housing but without commercial areas it’s hard to say it’s similar.

Fairfield is a dense mature suburb so it’s not like Avon. Jay

Old 05-18-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Most who live in Greenwich likely have never been to Farmington or West Hartford, nevermind move there. I do get what you mean, though.
The Farmington River Valley has several of the most prestigious Boarding Schools in the country. Miss Porters in Farmington, Avon Old Farms in Avon and Ethel Walker and Westminster Schools in Simsbury are internationally known by the very wealthy. I’m sure a lot of Greenwich residents know them with many being alumni.

I’m also not sure why you think someone from Greenwich would not move to West Hartford or Farmington. I think you overestimate the people that live in Greenwich and underestimate the people living in greater Hartford. A Fairfield County executive transferring to a Hartford area company (believe it or not it does happen and likely more than you think) would certainly consider both West Hartford and Farmington as places to live. They’d likely also consider Avon, Simsbury, Glastonbury and a number of other Hartford area suburbs. Jay

Old 05-18-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
But the income doesn’t support what I’m reading here, and I’m also not seeing actual data to back it. Believe it or not, Newtown and Brookfield are full of Fairfield and Westchester executives.

Oh well. We can agree to disagree.
You keep hanging your opinion on income. As I said, the income difference is more than offset by the home price difference. My recommendation goes beyond that. I’m talking about life style, home type, neighborhood character, businesses, schools, family activities, etc. To me those things help make Avon similar to Wilton. I realize that they are not exact, no town would be, but if I had to select a town I’d go with Wilton. Jay

Old 05-18-2021, 02:09 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The Farmington River Valley has several of the most prestigious Boarding Schools in the country. Miss Porters in Farmington, Avon Old Farms in Avon and Ethel Walker and Westminster Schools in Simsbury are internationally known by the very wealthy. I’m sure a lot of Greenwich residents know them with many being alumni.

I’m also not sure why you think someone from Greenwich would not move to West Hartford or Farmington. I think you overestimate the people that live in Greenwich and underestimate the people living in greater Hartford. A Fairfield County executive transferring to a Hartford area company (believe it or not it does happen and likely more than you think) would certainly consider both West Hartford and Farmington as places to live. They’d likely also consider Avon, Simsbury, Glastonbury and a number of other Hartford area suburbs. Jay
Because I know the culture of lower Fairfield County very well, being born and raised there, as well as living nearby most recently. Trust me - the majority of Greenwich (or even New Canaan, Darien, etc) residents know next to nothing about Farmington. These are the people who, when you mention Woodbridge, they think of New Jersey before Connecticut.

Old 06-11-2021, 03:05 PM

31 posts, read 19,580 times
You cannot compare Avon to Greenwich in any regard. It is simply not an apples to apples comparison. I live in Old Greenwich, which is a neighborhood in Greenwich.

Greenwich not only costs 111% more than Avon, but per capita income is 43% higher + the towns differ greatly in population and educational attainment (U.S. Census Bureau).

Sources:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045219

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 06-15-2021 at 11:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 06:26 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Because I know the culture of lower Fairfield County very well, being born and raised there, as well as living nearby most recently. Trust me - the majority of Greenwich (or even New Canaan, Darien, etc) residents know next to nothing about Farmington. These are the people who, when you mention Woodbridge, they think of New Jersey before Connecticut.

I was born and raised in Stamford and moved to Trumbull. Greenwich, Stamford New Canaan and Darien are basically oriented towards NYC. I had never been to Bridgeport until I moved to Trumbull and only knew the major cities and a few towns mostly all on the coastline. When I see people talking bout towns on here I have to look many up to see where they are.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:08 AM

Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-12-2021, 09:38 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR09 View Post
You cannot compare Avon to Greenwich in any regard. It is simply not an apples to apples comparison. I live in Old Greenwich, which is a neighborhood in Greenwich.

Greenwich not only costs 111% more than Avon, but per capita income is 43% higher + the towns differ greatly in population and educational attainment (U.S. Census Bureau).

Sources:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Even though I have never been to Avon I think you can make a comparison to some Fairfield County towns. Everything is relative. Take away the exact dollar amount. In ALL areas there are wealthy, upper middle class, middle class/working class and poor.

Just think about this. Fairfield County will be easier for me because I live here. If someone from another part of the country looks at my town of Trumbull (122,000 HH income) they might think I have money but I'm actually the struggling middle class of Fairfield County. I know what I am relative to everyone else in Fairfield County because I live here.

Fairfield County Town Household Income
Darien...........$232,523 (very wealthy in Fairfield County)
Westport........$206,446 (very wealthy in Fairfield County)
Greenwich......$152,000 (upper income)
Norwalk.........$85,769 (middle/working class)
Bridgeport......$46,662 (poor)

Hartford County Town Household Income
Avon...............$131,130 (very wealthy of Hartford County, remember everything is relative)
Glastonbury.....$120,837 (very wealthy)
Farmington......$93,053 (upper income)
Bristol.............$67,507 (middle class/working class)
Hartford..........$36,278 (poor)

So everyone from Hartford County....did I do a god job of picking out the wealthy, upper income, middle income/working class, poor of Hartford County?

Watch this. The 2x median home price in Darien and Avon (lets see some nice houses because median homes in Darien are not that impressive). A picture is worth a thousand words and it is amazing how similar the houses are.
Avon, Connecticut - Comparison-avonhouse.jpg

Last edited by Yac; 06-15-2021 at 11:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 12:04 PM

31 posts, read 19,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Even though I have never been to Avon I think you can make a comparison to some Fairfield County towns. Everything is relative. Take away the exact dollar amount. In ALL areas there are wealthy, upper middle class, middle class/working class and poor.

Just think about this. Fairfield County will be easier for me because I live here. If someone from another part of the country looks at my town of Trumbull (122,000 HH income) they might think I have money but I'm actually the struggling middle class of Fairfield County. I know what I am relative to everyone else in Fairfield County because I live here.

Fairfield County Town Household Income
Darien...........$232,523 (very wealthy in Fairfield County)
Westport........$206,446 (very wealthy in Fairfield County)
Greenwich......$152,000 (upper income)
Norwalk.........$85,769 (middle/working class)
Bridgeport......$46,662 (poor)

Hartford County Town Household Income
Avon...............$131,130 (very wealthy of Hartford County, remember everything is relative)
Glastonbury.....$120,837 (very wealthy)
Farmington......$93,053 (upper income)
Bristol.............$67,507 (middle class/working class)
Hartford..........$36,278 (poor)

So everyone from Hartford County....did I do a god job of picking out the wealthy, upper income, middle income/working class, poor of Hartford County?

Watch this. The 2x median home price in Darien and Avon (lets see some nice houses because median homes in Darien are not that impressive). A picture is worth a thousand words and it is amazing how similar the houses are.
Attachment 229928
Correct, comparisons can be made with some towns in FC but not Greenwich or any town on the Gold Coast in my view.

Perhaps Brookfield would be the best benchmark.

Remember, you are paying a premium in Darien due to location, schools, etc. This is the case for most towns in FC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut