Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 12:08 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Even though I have never been to Avon I think you can make a comparison to some Fairfield County towns. Everything is relative. Take away the exact dollar amount. In ALL areas there are wealthy, upper middle class, middle class/working class and poor.

Just think about this. Fairfield County will be easier for me because I live here. If someone from another part of the country looks at my town of Trumbull (122,000 HH income) they might think I have money but I'm actually the struggling middle class of Fairfield County. I know what I am relative to everyone else in Fairfield County because I live here.

Fairfield County Town Household Income
Darien...........$232,523 (very wealthy in Fairfield County)
Westport........$206,446 (very wealthy in Fairfield County)
Greenwich......$152,000 (upper income)
Norwalk.........$85,769 (middle/working class)
Bridgeport......$46,662 (poor)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045219

Hartford County Town Household Income
Avon...............$131,130 (very wealthy of Hartford County, remember everything is relative)
Glastonbury.....$120,837 (very wealthy)
Farmington......$93,053 (upper income)
Bristol.............$67,507 (middle class/working class)
Hartford..........$36,278 (poor)

So everyone from Hartford County....did I do a god job of picking out the wealthy, upper income, middle income/working class, poor of Hartford County?

Watch this. The 2x median home price in Darien and Avon (lets see some nice houses because median homes in Darien are not that impressive). A picture is worth a thousand words and it is amazing how similar the houses are.
Attachment 229928
I'd say you did an ok job but it could use some improvements.
Greenwich is CTs wealthiest. Done, end of story on that.
Norwalk as well as Stamford have areas that are a lot wealthier than the Hartford area. You can't just paint them as "middle/working class". You should know this.
Good point on homes in Darien vs Avon. They are going to be much larger in Avon for the same price. That's a great job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 05:50 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I'd say you did an ok job but it could use some improvements.
Greenwich is CTs wealthiest. Done, end of story on that.
Norwalk as well as Stamford have areas that are a lot wealthier than the Hartford area. You can't just paint them as "middle/working class". You should know this.
Good point on homes in Darien vs Avon. They are going to be much larger in Avon for the same price. That's a great job.
EVERY town will have some wealthier people in it. In RELATIVE TERMS Norwalk is middle class/working class.

For instance:

The median will be your middle class/working class. All figures from the Census 2019.

Fairfield County Median HH Income......................$95, 645
Fairfield County Median Per Capita Income............$57, 263
Fairfield County Median House Price.....................$428,000

Norwalk Median HH Income.................................$85,769
Norwalk Median Per Capita Income.......................$50, 098
Norwalk Median HH Income.................................$435,800

WOW am I good at Fairfield County. I just instinctively new Norwalk was the median/middle class of Fairfield County without looking up and comparing the info at all.

BTW, do you want to know how good I am at spotting the middle class/working class of Fairfield County? Those numbers for the Fairfield County Median HH Income, Per Capita (for my husband before he retired) and house value are very close for my household in 2019. I am the median in Fairfield County. So it takes on to know one.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:44 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Norwalk probably has more million dollar homes than Avon has homes, period. Statistics like average home value, median income are shallow and don’t paint a full picture. It’s tough to generalize it as working class when it has such an economically diverse population.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:16 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Even though I have never been to Avon I think you can make a comparison to some Fairfield County towns. Everything is relative. Take away the exact dollar amount. In ALL areas there are wealthy, upper middle class, middle class/working class and poor.

Just think about this. Fairfield County will be easier for me because I live here. If someone from another part of the country looks at my town of Trumbull (122,000 HH income) they might think I have money but I'm actually the struggling middle class of Fairfield County. I know what I am relative to everyone else in Fairfield County because I live here.

Fairfield County Town Household Income
Darien...........$232,523 (very wealthy in Fairfield County)
Westport........$206,446 (very wealthy in Fairfield County)
Greenwich......$152,000 (upper income)
Norwalk.........$85,769 (middle/working class)
Bridgeport......$46,662 (poor)

Hartford County Town Household Income
Avon...............$131,130 (very wealthy of Hartford County, remember everything is relative)
Glastonbury.....$120,837 (very wealthy)
Farmington......$93,053 (upper income)
Bristol.............$67,507 (middle class/working class)
Hartford..........$36,278 (poor)

So everyone from Hartford County....did I do a god job of picking out the wealthy, upper income, middle income/working class, poor of Hartford County?

Watch this. The 2x median home price in Darien and Avon (lets see some nice houses because median homes in Darien are not that impressive). A picture is worth a thousand words and it is amazing how similar the houses are.
Attachment 229928
The most desirable towns in greater Hartford are West Hartford, Avon, Simsbury, Farmington and Glastonbury. I do not consider Bristol to be middle class. It’s a former mill town that has seen better days. It has a few sketchy neighborhoods. I consider South Windsor and maybe Rocky Hill the next step down and Wethersfield and Newington to be solid middle class towns. Jay

Old 06-12-2021, 07:38 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
EVERY town will have some wealthier people in it. In RELATIVE TERMS Norwalk is middle class/working class.

For instance:

The median will be your middle class/working class. All figures from the Census 2019.

WOW am I good at Fairfield County. I just instinctively new Norwalk was the median/middle class of Fairfield County without looking up and comparing the info at all.

BTW, do you want to know how good I am at spotting the middle class/working class of Fairfield County? Those numbers for the Fairfield County Median HH Income, Per Capita (for my husband before he retired) and house value are very close for my household in 2019. I am the median in Fairfield County. So it takes on to know one.
Rowayton section of Norwalk is wealthy and West Norwalk is upper middle class. Norwalk and Stamford top 2 richest cities in state then it is Milford, Shelton. Wealthy areas of Norwalk and Stamford might be wealthier than Avon.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:

For instance:

Hey, listen, I'd sell out Madison Square Garden and the Forum playing a ukulele before I ever could go head to head with a City Data mining expert on incomes and home values. It wouldn't end well for me. I'd get crushed, but Stub CT is the among the wealthiest in the nation and that includes parts of Stamford and Norwalk. Those folks can go private schools. Big bucks in the forests and on the Sound. That's a fact, there's nothing left to discuss. There isn't anything anyone can do about it. It is what it is.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Rowayton section of Norwalk is wealthy and West Norwalk is upper middle class. Norwalk and Stamford top 2 richest cities in state then it is Milford, Shelton. Wealthy areas of Norwalk and Stamford might be wealthier than Avon.
That and let's not forget the Southport section of Fairfield. These places are teeming with Rockefellers.
THe Hartford is area is wonderful too but and at attractive prices to boot. Yard Goats and Zoharra's, I'll be up there this summer at some point. I haven't forgot about it.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:52 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Norwalk probably has more million dollar homes than Avon has homes, period. Statistics like average home value, median income are shallow and don’t paint a full picture. It’s tough to generalize it as working class when it has such an economically diverse population.
I can’t believer this is still be debated. Of course Norwalk has more $1 million dollar homes. It’s right in the middle of one of the most affluent parts of the country and has a lengthy coastline with lots of pricey homes.

However you have to separate what a $1 million home is. In Fairfield County it’s a middle class to modest home. In Hartford County, and much of the rest of the country, it buys a top notch home meaning it’s large and updated. I still maintain that you need to be comparing community character and feel. And Norwalk is not comparable. Jay

Old 06-12-2021, 07:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Avon is comparable to Upper Fairfield County it have different vibe than 95 corridor. Towns like Ridgefield, Redding, Newtown actually entire state with towns that have high incomes.

Last edited by BPt111; 06-12-2021 at 08:06 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I can’t believer this is still be debated. Of course Norwalk has more $1 million dollar homes. It’s right in the middle of one of the most affluent parts of the country and has a lengthy coastline with lots of pricey homes.

However you have to separate what a $1 million home is. In Fairfield County it’s a middle class to modest home. In Hartford County, and much of the rest of the country, it buys a top notch home meaning it’s large and updated. I still maintain that you need to be comparing community character and feel. And Norwalk is not comparable. Jay
That's right, $M or more homes in Hartford and much of the nation are larger and nicer outside of Fairfield County. There's no disputing that. You can't.
Community character and feel can be anywhere nationwide. It's up to the individual. There's no right or wrong answers. There's no Sound in the Hartford area so for me character and feel would be lacking.
If you saw what I saw tonite just off Greens Ledge light, you would understand. You guessed it, another spectacular sunset followed by a cameo by the crescent moon and Jupiter. The whole community was out there sharing in the delight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut