Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 07:05 AM

31 posts, read 19,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
That's right, $M or more homes in Hartford and much of the nation are larger and nicer outside of Fairfield County. There's no disputing that. You can't.
Community character and feel can be anywhere nationwide. It's up to the individual. There's no right or wrong answers. There's no Sound in the Hartford area so for me character and feel would be lacking.
If you saw what I saw tonite just off Greens Ledge light, you would understand. You guessed it, another spectacular sunset followed by a cameo by the crescent moon and Jupiter. The whole community was out there sharing in the delight.
Great points, Steve.

I never liked the Hartford County area and would not consider raising my family there. In my view, it is too far from NYC and does not offer the same amount or quality of opportunity as Greenwich/FC does.

My point: It all comes down to personal preference and what you can actually afford.

Last edited by MR09; 06-13-2021 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 07:41 AM

4,451 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Rowayton section of Norwalk is wealthy and West Norwalk is upper middle class.
Maddona mi........doesn't anyone on here BESIDES me and Jay understand what median is?

For every ONE rich person in Rowayton there are THREE/FOUR really really poor people in South Norwalk to cancel them out which then results in the median. Rowayton is a TINY enclave in BIG Norwalk. I had relatives there in the less affluent part. And BTW not everyone in Rowayton is rich......only the ones near the water.

Look at this map. Some people understand the visual better. Look at the TINY section of wealthy compared to HUGE Norwalk
Avon, Connecticut - Comparison-norwalk.jpg

........................................HH Income......Per Capita Income......House Value
Fairfield County Median........$95,645..........$57,263............ ........$428,000
Norwalk Median...................$85,769..........$50,098. ...................$435,800
Trumbull Median..................$122,451.........$51,818.. ..................$399,200

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045219

If people can't understand what MEDIAN is after this exercise/example, basta I give up.

I will do the same thing for Avon and a median Hartford area town.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:20 AM

31 posts, read 19,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Maddona mi........doesn't anyone on here BESIDES me and Jay understand what median is?

For every ONE rich person in Rowayton there are THREE/FOUR really really poor people in South Norwalk to cancel them out which then results in the median. Rowayton is a TINY enclave in BIG Norwalk. I had relatives there in the less affluent part. And BTW not everyone in Rowayton is rich......only the ones near the water.

Look at this map. Some people understand the visual better. Look at the TINY section of wealthy compared to HUGE Norwalk
Attachment 229943

........................................HH Income......Per Capita Income......House Value
Fairfield County Median........$95,645..........$57,263............ ........$428,000
Norwalk Median...................$85,769..........$50,098. ...................$435,800
Trumbull Median..................$122,451.........$51,818.. ..................$399,200

If people can't understand what MEDIAN is after this exercise/example, basta I give up.

I’m not understanding the fixation on income. The fact of the matter is many towns in FC are wealthier and cost more to live in than Hartford County communities. There’s no disputing that.

You pay a premium in FC for a variety of reasons. Location being one main variable.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:27 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR09 View Post
I’m not understanding the fixation on income. The fact of the matter is many towns in FC are wealthier and cost more to live in than Hartford County communities. There’s no disputing that.

You pay a premium in FC for a variety of reasons. Location being one main variable.
Coastal towns like Madison, Guilford, Old Saybrook, Lyme, East Lyme are really nice.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:16 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
That and let's not forget the Southport section of Fairfield. These places are teeming with Rockefellers.
THe Hartford is area is wonderful too but and at attractive prices to boot. Yard Goats and Zoharra's, I'll be up there this summer at some point. I haven't forgot about it.
Quote:
That's right, $M or more homes in Hartford and much of the nation are larger and nicer outside of Fairfield County. There's no disputing that. You can't.
Community character and feel can be anywhere nationwide. It's up to the individual. There's no right or wrong answers. There's no Sound in the Hartford area so for me character and feel would be lacking.
If you saw what I saw tonite just off Greens Ledge light, you would understand. You guessed it, another spectacular sunset followed by a cameo by the crescent moon and Jupiter. The whole community was out there sharing in the delight.
You can actually add a Fairfield Beach to that as well. What was once a bunch of modest beach cottages and starter capes has been transformed over the years before to “Malibu East” with spectacular beachfront palaces and McMansions.

While greater Hartford does not have the coastline, it does have the beautiful Farmington River Valley. The valley is separated from metro Hartford by a line of small mountains west of Hartford. There are no highways into the valley so it has a sort of “Shang Ra La” feel to it. It’s lower densely ty and there’s less traffic off the main roads so while it’s not the coast, it’s still pretty special. Avon is in the Farmington River Valley. Jay

Old 06-13-2021, 09:46 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You can actually add a Fairfield Beach to that as well. What was once a bunch of modest beach cottages and starter capes has been transformed over the years before to “Malibu East” with spectacular beachfront palaces and McMansions.

While greater Hartford does not have the coastline, it does have the beautiful Farmington River Valley. The valley is separated from metro Hartford by a line of small mountains west of Hartford. There are no highways into the valley so it has a sort of “Shang Ra La” feel to it. It’s lower densely ty and there’s less traffic off the main roads so while it’s not the coast, it’s still pretty special. Avon is in the Farmington River Valley. Jay
That’s where my in laws are all from. Simsbury, Farmington, and Avon. They are all beautiful towns and I wouldn’t hesitate to live there if we had to work in Hartford.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:37 AM

6,887 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Attachment 229943

Managgia la miseria!
Si, the poor in S Norwalk drive the numbers down. Alora.
$435K there is a dump in S Norwalk.
Again, not trying to debate a City Data pro here. Just have to break things down a little.
The Forum crowd would be screaming for encores when you finished your acoustic set. I would get booed off the stage. Security would throw me out by the collar.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:40 AM

6,887 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Agreed on all points.
Love the Shang-ra-la reference. I'm going to Yard Goats game this summer then coming over for that fried chicken recipe

Old 06-13-2021, 11:50 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Managgia la miseria!
Si, the poor in S Norwalk drive the numbers down. Alora.
$435K there is a dump in S Norwalk.
Again, not trying to debate a City Data pro here. Just have to break things down a little.
The Forum crowd would be screaming for encores when you finished your acoustic set. I would get booed off the stage. Security would throw me out by the collar.
South Norwalk is becoming little Stamford slowly and Avon is up there with Fairfield County just check their median income levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut