Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 8,880 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am originally from Stratford, CT. I am looking for a house closer to my job in Hartford. I am a Fairfield County girl at heart, so I am trying to find an area that is along the lines of that.

I've driven to Avon with my boyfriend, and we had fallen in love with it! It is absolutely gorgeous. It is the number one spot to live in Connecticut, and the school systems are amazing.

I was wondering if you can compare Avon to another area in Fairfield County? I've gotten mixed reviews. Some say it is the Greenwich of Hartford County, while others call it the Monroe of Hartford County.

Would you compare Avon to Greenwich? Fairfield? Monroe? Westport? Trumbull?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 08:07 PM

98 posts, read 88,294 times
I've been there a few times and it looks relatively similiar to Darien or Fairfield.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:19 PM

6,887 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Quinnipiac View Post
Hello All,

I am originally from Stratford, CT. I am looking for a house closer to my job in Hartford. I am a Fairfield County girl at heart, so I am trying to find an area that is along the lines of that.

I've driven to Avon with my boyfriend, and we had fallen in love with it! It is absolutely gorgeous. It is the number one spot to live in Connecticut, and the school systems are amazing.

I was wondering if you can compare Avon to another area in Fairfield County? I've gotten mixed reviews. Some say it is the Greenwich of Hartford County, while others call it the Monroe of Hartford County.

Would you compare Avon to Greenwich? Fairfield? Monroe? Westport? Trumbull?
What happened to Hebron?

Only Monroe and Trumbull. They're quiet.
Greenwich and Fairfield are big CT cities. Rt 1, 95 development make Westport appear larger than it is, busy, traffic.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:25 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Demographically, Avon is most similar to Brookfield in median income, population and even aesthetics (semi rural suburb and fairly well kept). Avon, while beautiful and upscale, has nowhere near the uniformity in uber wealth common in Greenwich, Darien, Westport, etc. It’s quite a bit less wealthy than even Ridgefield.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:33 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,024 times
Avon is sort of a cross between Newtown and Brookfield. Comfortable, rural, somewhat upscale

Old 05-14-2021, 09:10 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,113 times
Brookfield is a good comparison.
No way a Greenwich, or even Fairfield.
There's not much of a town center there.....
It's certainly nice and if it ticks your boxes that should be all that matters.
But since your asking Farmington, West Hartford, Simsbury, Glastonbury all nice too.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:19 PM

14,052 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Ultra rich Greenwich and Darien are in different league Avon can't compare it more like Trumbull, Brookfield, Monroe in term of income.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:00 AM

4,452 posts, read 3,345,929 times
I think MichelleQunnipiac has good instincts. Avon is up there. Look at this list. It is right below Fairfield.
https://www.courant.com/news/connect...htmlstory.html

I have never been to Avon and the Hartford area only a few times so had to look it up. Now I am curious to go there.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:56 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Avon is one of the top suburbs of Hartford. It is among the most affluent as well with many newer large expensive homes. It’s hard to compare it to the long time super wealthy towns of Fairfield County. To me it is not comparable to Greenwich, Fairfield, Darien or Westport. Those are older more dense towns with old line walkable town centers. I also don’t think it’s similar to Brookfield Trumbull or Monroe which are more middle class.

While Newtown and Ridgefield may be a possible comparisons, to me I would think Wilton is the best comparable. While income is a lot higher in Wilton, the cost of housing kind of offsets the income difference meaning that higher income is needed to buy a similar home. Wilton is a largely low density town like Avon. Both lack a large walkable town center. Most of their commercial and retail development is car oriented and is found along major state routes (Routes 7 or 44). Though Wilton is more mature, the homes in both towns tend to be larger (over 3,000 square feet) and on larger parcels of land (acre or more). Just like Avon, Wilton has a few newer apartment complexes. And the schools and activities are similar. For all that I’d go with Wilton when making s comparison. Jay

Old 05-15-2021, 11:14 AM

89 posts, read 123,168 times
Avon is a very nice town. Definitely would not be considered a city. Affluent and blue collar residents alike. I'm not familiar with Fairfield County so I can't do a comparison for you but depending on where in Avon you visited you may have found multi-million dollar houses on Avon mountain or very down to earth ranches and capes in the valley. Avon does not have a very walkable center. Most retail is along very busy RT44. For a walkable center you would want to take a look at West Hartford. The only downside to Avon is having to go over Avon mountain in the winter to get to your work in Hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut