Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 02:10 PM

809 posts, read 470,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seeing the vast majority of violent crime in the suburbs is perpetrated by those who live in the cities, I think “solutions that work for us” is clearly not working well. That’s like your neighbor’s children terrorizing you within the four walls of your home, and their parents suggesting you have zero say in how it should be handled. Myopic, at best.
I'm just as pragmatic as anyone else (your projection is real here). How is advocating for cities somehow associated with being a myopic unrealistic liberal (that's the tone I get from you and a few other gloom and doom commenters).

Back to the topic: there are real programs that work, such as Project Longevity. It's great to see you comment on multiple boards about how horrible things are, but the good news is that we are making progress and crime is no where near where it was in the 90s. New Haven is lovely and we love the commentary from the suburbs - keep it coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 02:20 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I'm just as pragmatic as anyone else (your projection is real here). How is advocating for cities somehow associated with being a myopic unrealistic liberal (that's the tone I get from you and a few other gloom and doom commenters).

Back to the topic: there are real programs that work, such as Project Longevity. It's great to see you comment on multiple boards about how horrible things are, but the good news is that we are making progress and crime is no where near where it was in the 90s. New Haven is lovely and we love the commentary from the suburbs - keep it coming.
You’re [infamously] making drive by blanket statements and aren’t addressing the response, which in this case points out the absurdity of your assumption solely city dwellers are allowed the right to fix the problem even though suburbanites are dealing with their wrath. Unfortunately for you, that’s not how it works. Fortunately for the rest of us, the majority of lawmakers calling an emergency meeting today to address this issue are suburbanites.

You really haven’t a clue what you’re talking about re: crime. I’m unsure if you were a resident of Connecticut during the Malloy days - that time when crime was reclassified while CT residents slept and miraculously crime rates were sliced in half. Ah - such progress!

Old 07-02-2021, 02:24 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
You’re [infamously] making drive by blanket statements and aren’t addressing the response, which in this case points out the absurdity of your assumption solely city dwellers are allowed the right to fix the problem even though suburbanites are dealing with their wrath. Unfortunately for you, that’s not how it works. Fortunately for the rest of us, the majority of lawmakers calling an emergency meeting today to address this issue are suburbanites.

You really haven’t a clue what you’re talking about re: crime. I’m unsure if you were a resident of Connecticut during the Malloy days - that time when crime was reclassified while CT residents slept and miraculously crime rates were sliced in half. Ah - such progress!
Bingo. The Milford Connecticut Mall had many fights associated with urban gangs. We all must deal with cities' messes. Now I wish Milford would stop the buses landing at the mall from dropping off anyone there under 18 either not with a parent or lacking documentation that they were arriving at work. Our safety issues at the mall would drop like a rock.

Again, I am of the opinion we will see 2A solutions arise to some of the urban criminals in our state, and I would prefer the authorities solve the problem the correct way by getting tough on crime, even if technically the hardened violent thug is under 18.

Old 07-02-2021, 02:49 PM

6,921 posts, read 3,757,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Again, I am of the opinion we will see 2A solutions arise to some of the urban criminals in our state, and I would prefer the authorities solve the problem the correct way by getting tough on crime, even if technically the hardened violent thug is under 18.
These solutions and getting tough on urban criminals has failed time and time again, for any age group, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post

Back to the topic: there are real programs that work, such as Project Longevity.
These types of programs are just bandaid fixes. These are destined to fail, time and time again, it's proven, and no one can do anything about it.

Old 07-02-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
These solutions and getting tough on urban criminals has failed time and time again, for any age group, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.
We have never gotten tough on crime in this state.

Btw, not thinking 2A solutions always work, but I am a realist and expect more occurrences of them , not just in Ct. If you allow lawlessness, there are always repercussions.

PS: I suspect the mall will have issues leasing apartments if there are any more gang fights, so it should consider deep-sixing massive bussing on its property ahead of building the housing units. People choose suburbs for safety, amongst other reasons.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:25 PM

6,921 posts, read 3,757,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We have never gotten tough on crime in this state.

Btw, not thinking 2A solutions always work, but I am a realist and expect more occurrences of them , not just in Ct. If you allow lawlessness, there are always repercussions.

PS: I suspect the mall will have issues leasing apartments if there are any more gang fights, so it should consider deep-sixing massive bussing on its property ahead of building the housing units. People choose suburbs for safety, amongst other reasons.
Crime is at at it's highest point in decades across the nation. It has experienced periods of highs and lows everywhere throughout history. We're in a rough patch right now. Unfortunately there is nothing we or any program can do to stop it. Here in CT, or anywhere else. It's here to stay.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:59 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

I also want to know how the Audi was stolen. Did the owner leave the keys in the car ? Leave the car running at the gas station ? etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Doesn't matter. Carelessness does not pardon or justify thuggish behavior.

It means everything. If the keys were left in the Audi that made it easy to steal. Taking the keys out would have made the Audi impossible to steal. Unless this is an Audi from the 1980's that didn't have anti theft protections. If the perps couldn't steal the Audi none of this would have happened.

Plus we have the knuckleheads that were chasing the car even after they were told by the police not to chase. Because the teen perps stole a wallet.

So now we have a person who died over 2 material objects - a car and a wallet - both of which could easily be replaced.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:12 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
It means everything. If the keys were left in the Audi that made it easy to steal. Taking the keys out would have made the Audi impossible to steal. Unless this is an Audi from the 1980's that didn't have anti theft protections. If the perps couldn't steal the Audi none of this would have happened.

Plus we have the knuckleheads that were chasing the car even after they were told by the police not to chase. Because the teen perps stole a wallet.

So now we have a person who died over 2 material objects - a car and a wallet - both of which could easily be replaced.
Thank God this insane left wing “blame everyone but the criminal” noise is not the opinion of the majority. It’s repugnant.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:

and the killer you fail to blame needs to be staring at the bars of a cage for many, many years. Like the uncontrollable animal he is.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:36 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:
Thank God this insane left wing “blame everyone but the criminal” noise is not the opinion of the majority. It’s repugnant.
Isn’t victim-blaming wonderful? If they had their way, they’d blame the rape victim for her sexual assault because she was dressed too provocatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut