Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 08:35 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Did you all know this?

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — “A 2018 federal Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act passed by lawmakers says juveniles can not be held in custody for more than six hours. State Lawmakers say that ties the hands of judges who oversee juvenile justice cases.”

This is astonishing! I was wondering why the 17 yr. who killed the jogger was still on the streets, even after 13 arrests. And I’m sure he committed a lot more crime but wasn’t caught every time. Let’s keep the pressure on law makers and have them repeal this law, amongst others.

“Right now, if a juvenile is arrested at midnight in a town, the judge is then asked ‘should this individual be detained?’ That judge does not have access to the prior arrest record,” explained House Speaker Matt Ritter.“

Below is the full article.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/politics/j...ublic-outrage/
This was Malloy's idiotic doing, but Lamont has done nothing about this outrageous limitation.

We've seen multiple violent incidents by juveniles already the last few weeks. I wonder how many Ct residents will die due to this reckless handling of violent juveniles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 11:06 PM

21,617 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
No I'm completely right. You think the police can not get a hold of a judge during non business hours ?

A teen perp that is accused of a capital crime is not going home.
No, you are completely wrong.

This is not solely discussing “capital crimes”, or in other words, murder. That is very rare and is not at all indicative of what’s plaguing the state, angering people of all political parties. State judges are nearly impossible to get ahold of in the middle of the night for a non murder offense, and thus the majority of juveniles are - in fact - released to their caregivers during that six hours due to such.

Please stop promoting lies in this thread. You have zero clue what you are talking about.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 07-09-2021 at 11:15 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, you are completely wrong.

This is not solely discussing “capital crimes”, or in other words, murder. That is very rare and is not at all indicative of what’s plaguing the state, angering people of all political parties. State judges are nearly impossible to get ahold of in the middle of the night for a non murder offense, and thus the majority of juveniles are - in fact - released to their caregivers during that six hours due to such.

Please stop promoting lies in this thread. You have zero clue what you are talking about.
Great post.

The 6 hour rule is designed to increase the quantity released, no matter the consequences to the public. It is an insane policy.

I am delighted it is getting attention, as is the crime erasure bill, and that many people I know have already properly taken their state representatives to task for these reckless actions. I expect they will again show how they feel in the voting booth.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:07 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
This was a news conference about the problem, not a solution session.

Sadly it’s the Democrats that are clueless. When my Democratic State Representative addressed the problem, he talked about providing ankle bracelets for juveniles upon release. I pointed out that this is not a solution to the problem and told him we need to reestablish a juvenile detention system. Kids need to learn there are consequences to their illegal actions. A bracelet won’t do that. As my father always said “A little fear goes a long way” to teach respect. Jay

Last edited by Yac; 07-11-2021 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Sadly it’s the Democrats that are clueless. When my Democratic State Representative addressed the problem, he talked about providing ankle bracelets for juveniles upon release. I pointed out that this is not a solution to the problem and told him we need to reestablish a juvenile detention system. Kids need to learn there are consequences to their illegal actions. A bracelet won’t do that. As my father always said “A little fear goes a long way” to teach respect. Jay
Amen. Democrats do not want to punish crime, JayCT. It is that simple. Heck, there are 2 ex cons in Bridgeport's government!

Future votes need to be the law-abiding civilized citizens vs the Democrats who hate making people obey laws.

NYC already caught on, choosing an ex NYPD guy vs Curtis "Guardian Angels leader" Sliwa.

Ct's version will likely be a large swath of suburbanites moving to the GOP, vs the folks who stay where they were last time.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:45 AM

331 posts, read 207,751 times
There is no politically correct way of saying that the teens aren’t going to be upstanding members of society and are damaged beyond repair. Anyone who is 15 and has that many felony charges is lost. It’s only going to get worse. We have to wait until we can charge them as adults, only then can we protect society from them. I wish a politician would just be honest.

It’s a cycle of crappy people having more crappy people. They terrorize communities.

Last edited by Yac; 07-11-2021 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
There is no politically correct way of saying that the teens aren’t going to be upstanding members of society and are damaged beyond repair. Anyone who is 15 and has that many felony charges is lost. It’s only going to get worse. We have to wait until we can charge them as adults, only then can we protect society from them. I wish a politician would just be honest.

It’s a cycle of crappy people having more crappy people. They terrorize communities.
Spot on.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:50 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Did you tell your state rep this? Because he clearly needs to hear this. As do the other state reps, as does Lamont.

As far as I’m concerned, this sort of juvenile delinquency invites retaliation, and I am so waiting for the day when that happens, when someone takes matters into their own hands, and when it does these bumbling idiots will be making the person who defended himself out to be the monster, relying on their usual defense that they’re racist. The adults, however, will know the truth.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Did you tell your state rep this? Because he clearly needs to hear this. As do the other state reps, as does Lamont.

As far as I’m concerned, this sort of juvenile delinquency invites retaliation, and I am so waiting for the day when that happens, when someone takes matters into their own hands, and when it does these bumbling idiots will be making the person who defended himself out to be the monster, relying on their usual defense that they’re racist. The adults, however, will know the truth.
It is inevitable, I agree. The Guardian Angels have been in New Haven, at times. I question if we want "less formal ones" when we pass absurd bills like this.

We have also seen gun ownership rise dramatically in this state. Causation to some degree by the tone of condoning lawlessness?

We need to care as much for the law-abiding, for a change, vs pandering to criminals.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:51 AM

514 posts, read 442,194 times
I’m sure they were released by now and are back on the streets.

https://www.middletownpress.com/poli...t-16309256.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut