Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 07:23 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Not “we”, but the politicians set the age to 18. They can certainly change the age to at least 16, just like they’re talking about pushing the voting age to 16. The hypocrisy. One the one hand they’re saying individuals are old enough at 16 to make a make decisions about our future leaders but not not old enough at 16 to know right or wrong. Which one is it?
You make it sound like the people have no say in what the legal age limit is in each state. There was a time when it was 21 but the people found that too limiting since back then most 21 year olds held jobs, were married and were having kids. They were adults. I agree that by 16 a kid should be held accountable for their actions. They are certainly mature enough. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 07:23 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
CT's need slogan should be "Remove your keys from your car and lock the doors"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
You sound like this lawyer, blaming & shaming victims not the criminals.

Lawyer for scooter ‘thief’ victim-shames 7-year-old kid in court

https://nypost.com/2021/07/20/lawyer...-old-in-court/

Given that stance you would also agree that various CT police Depts are also blaming and shaming victims ?

Various CT police depts have put out PSA and/or mailed notices to households urging residents to remove keys from their cars, lock their car doors, and lock their garage doors.

Should we start a campaign on city data to stop these CT police depts from victim blaming and shaming ?

Old 07-21-2021, 09:40 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Given that stance you would also agree that various CT police Depts are also blaming and shaming victims ?

Various CT police depts have put out PSA and/or mailed notices to households urging residents to remove keys from their cars, lock their car doors, and lock their garage doors.

Should we start a campaign on city data to stop these CT police depts from victim blaming and shaming ?
Requesting people lock their doors is not “blaming and shaming” victims. It is a PSA to request citizens do what they can to protect themselves from criminals. That’s part of their job. That’s wholly different than victim blaming in a thread discussing juvenile crime, instead of expressing concern about the criminals themselves. Everyone knows this so let’s not play games.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:04 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Requesting people lock their doors is not “blaming and shaming” victims. It is a PSA to request citizens do what they can to protect themselves from criminals. That’s part of their job. That’s wholly different than victim blaming in a thread discussing juvenile crime, instead of expressing concern about the criminals themselves. Everyone knows this so let’s not play games.

No its exactly the same thing. The only difference is I said it vs a police dept saying it.

I pay for the police what gives them the right to victim blame and shame me ?

90%+ of these crimes would not happen if people followed the police's and my advice.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:14 AM

240 posts, read 213,309 times
wow, try leaving your keys in the ignition while going into a 7-11 here in FL LOL

Old 07-22-2021, 11:21 AM

331 posts, read 208,056 times
Quote:
No its exactly the same thing. The only difference is I said it vs a police dept saying it.

90%+ of these crimes would not happen if people followed the police's and my advice.

90% of these crimes would not happen if people didn’t commit them. Not sure why my entire response doesn’t appear.

Last edited by Newtohartfordct; 07-22-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-22-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:

The police aren’t calling people “idiots”, as opposed to what I’m reading here. Suggesting people lock their doors is requesting they practice common sense, not berating them for it.

It’s amazing this even has to be explained.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Of course they know what they are doing. Most 12 to 18 year olds are fully aware of the wrong they are doing. Heck most 10 to 12 year olds do as well, but we’ve set 18 as the age of adulthood so we have to live with that whether we like it or not. Jay
I meant our lawmakers and politicians - not the juvenile suspects.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:51 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
The police aren’t calling people “idiots”, as opposed to what I’m reading here. Suggesting people lock their doors is requesting they practice common sense, not berating them for it.

or using it as an EXCUSE to gloss over the fact there was still a criminal as the person responsible for the crime, who should be punished to the full extent the law allows.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:05 AM

752 posts, read 554,078 times
Quote:

I have to agree.

I never took police crime prevention warnings as insulting or demanding. I think the police are reminding people of common sense anti-crime and crime prevention practices. I would think that's part of the police departments' job.

You've got to be pretty sensitive to take a warning not to leave keys in your car the same as being called an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut