Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2022, 02:13 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
Kenyatta Muzzanni: Connecticut proposals would criminalize young people in insidious new ways
https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...bhq-story.html

In October, Senate Republicans released “A Better Way to a Safer Connecticut,” a plan that would further criminalize our young people, expand the police state and roll back some of the hard-won reforms we urgently need.

And early last month, the state Judicial Branch announced a proposal to reopen the Connecticut Juvenile Training School (CJTS), a prison for young people closed in 2018, after years of organizing and a public outcry against its blatant human rights violations. The $22 million project would refurbish CJTS for use as a locked “therapeutic” center for kids 17 and younger as they await trial, detaining them when they haven’t been convicted of a crime.

The constant push for more policing and incarceration reflects and exacerbates ugly forms of racism in Connecticut and throughout the country. Neither offers a legitimate way to improve public safety

The most effective way to reduce crime and enhance safety is to invest in communities and not in the systems that perpetuate violence. For too long, people of color in Connecticut — especially in Black and Latino communities — have been ravaged by systemic racism, mass criminalization, and mass incarceration. The state spends millions every year to arrest and lock up youth and adults while failing to meet the basic needs of its residents.
As usual in this state, all you have to do is accuse someone or racism, and that's all it takes. Maybe this idiot should talk to some of the victims of violent crimes committed by some of these juvenile monsters instead of playing the race card yet again.

As I've said before, it's our current lawmakers who are racists. They have sent the message that they don't think today's urban youth are capable of adhering to the basic laws of society, so their response? Let's compromise our standards for urban minorities because they can't follow fundamental rules. That sounds pretty racist to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 06:48 AM

6,895 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
As usual in this state, all you have to do is accuse someone or racism, and that's all it takes. Maybe this idiot should talk to some of the victims of violent crimes committed by some of these juvenile monsters instead of playing the race card yet again.

As I've said before, it's our current lawmakers who are racists. They have sent the message that they don't think today's urban youth are capable of adhering to the basic laws of society, so their response? Let's compromise our standards for urban minorities because they can't follow fundamental rules. That sounds pretty racist to me.
CT is at a critical juncture. They need to act before it's too late or we will be a lost cause like the west coast and NYC.
NYC residents piling in to CT looking to escape the slasher streets need to be made aware.
3 juveniles from New Haven assaulted and carjacked an immigrant female Uber Driver in Westport yesterday leaving her to recuperate at Norwalk Hospital. That's the thanks she gets for busting her tail trying to earn supplemental income. The juveniles know Kenyatta Muzzani has their back. Brooklynites like Muzzani and other Instagram Tik Tokkers with advocacy websites are trying to infiltrate into CT.
Where other world leaders face off with death, fear, and intimidation, they brush it off like lint on the shoulder. Look their intimidators straight in the eye right from the main office and say "come at me bro". One bad@ss m'fer. Time Magazine's next Man of the Year.
Our leaders tuck their tales run and hide at the very sight of anyone armed with an Instagram account and advocacy website. They run as fast as they can for the hills.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:10 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
CT is at a critical juncture. They need to act before it's too late or we will be a lost cause like the west coast and NYC.
NYC residents piling in to CT looking to escape the slasher streets need to be made aware.
3 juveniles from New Haven assaulted and carjacked an immigrant female Uber Driver in Westport yesterday leaving her to recuperate at Norwalk Hospital. That's the thanks she gets for busting her tail trying to earn supplemental income. The juveniles know Kenyatta Muzzani has their back. Brooklynites like Muzzani and other Instagram Tik Tokkers with advocacy websites are trying to infiltrate into CT.
Where other world leaders face off with death, fear, and intimidation, they brush it off like lint on the shoulder. Look their intimidators straight in the eye right from the main office and say "come at me bro". One bad@ss m'fer. Time Magazine's next Man of the Year.
Our leaders tuck their tales run and hide at the very sight of anyone armed with an Instagram account and advocacy website. They run as fast as they can for the hills.
Ummmm . . . alright. I don't know if you mean that sincerely or facetiously, but one thing I do know is that our lawmakers have a deeper concern with protecting the perpetrators of crime over the victims, and if they continue to look the other way, I will be taking this into consideration in the voting booth later this year. So will thousands of others.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Ummmm . . . alright. I don't know if you mean that sincerely or facetiously, but one thing I do know is that our lawmakers have a deeper concern with protecting the perpetrators of crime over the victims, and if they continue to look the other way, I will be taking this into consideration in the voting booth later this year. So will thousands of others.
The voting booth is the last line of defense. The next few years are critical in staving off advocacy personnel from taking over. I'll be making an Avelo flight out of Tweed a one-way ticket if NY absorbs CT.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:50 AM

752 posts, read 553,293 times
Quote:
The juveniles know Kenyatta Muzzani has their back. Brooklynites like Muzzani and other Instagram Tik Tokkers with advocacy websites are trying to infiltrate into CT.
Where other world leaders face off with death, fear, and intimidation, they brush it off like lint on the shoulder. Look their intimidators straight in the eye right from the main office and say "come at me bro". One bad@ss m'fer.
This doesn't sound insane at all.

If you commit a crime, there should be commensurate consequences-- I think we can all agree on that.

At the same time, those consequences should be based on the crime and whether white, black, or something else, your sentence should be the same. We do have a problem with over-incarceration of black and brown men that needs to be addressed as well.

If we can agree that these are problems, we don't need to get into conspiracies, or caricatures of the other political party to solve them if we're reasonable people.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
This doesn't sound insane at all.

If you commit a crime, there should be commensurate consequences-- I think we can all agree on that.

At the same time, those consequences should be based on the crime and whether white, black, or something else, your sentence should be the same. We do have a problem with over-incarceration of black and brown men that needs to be addressed as well.

If we can agree that these are problems, we don't need to get into conspiracies, or caricatures of the other political party to solve them if we're reasonable people.
For NYC, it's too late. They've dug their own grave.
We still have time here in CT to rectify the situation.
CT's black, brown, and white population deserve better than this fiasco.
In the past, I use to say every initiative failed but this another level altogether. What did this brown woman in Westport do to deserve a trip to the hospital ER?
Where's our leadership?
A 5'4" guy is taking on one of the world's most powerful military head on while our third in command gets up rubs knuckles looking giddy like a 3 year old about to blow out birthday candles, my God.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:37 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
What does this even mean?

Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 AM

752 posts, read 553,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Ok-- Glad it's not just me.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
Kenyatta Muzzanni: Connecticut proposals would criminalize young people in insidious new ways
https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...bhq-story.html

In October, Senate Republicans released “A Better Way to a Safer Connecticut,” a plan that would further criminalize our young people, expand the police state and roll back some of the hard-won reforms we urgently need.

And early last month, the state Judicial Branch announced a proposal to reopen the Connecticut Juvenile Training School (CJTS), a prison for young people closed in 2018, after years of organizing and a public outcry against its blatant human rights violations. The $22 million project would refurbish CJTS for use as a locked “therapeutic” center for kids 17 and younger as they await trial, detaining them when they haven’t been convicted of a crime.

The constant push for more policing and incarceration reflects and exacerbates ugly forms of racism in Connecticut and throughout the country. Neither offers a legitimate way to improve public safety

The most effective way to reduce crime and enhance safety is to invest in communities and not in the systems that perpetuate violence. For too long, people of color in Connecticut — especially in Black and Latino communities — have been ravaged by systemic racism, mass criminalization, and mass incarceration. The state spends millions every year to arrest and lock up youth and adults while failing to meet the basic needs of its residents.
Quote:
And unfortunately, many CT residents buy this garbage.
Quote:
Where's the disconnect? It's in response to the Courant opinion piece posted by Round Table and I was agreeing with MikefromCT.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:40 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
one thing I do know is that our lawmakers have a deeper concern with protecting the perpetrators of crime over the victims, and if they continue to look the other way, I will be taking this into consideration in the voting booth later this year. So will thousands of others.
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut