Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 12:59 PM

6,638 posts, read 5,049,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
In my opinion there needs to be an abundance of free/affordable after school programs in these cities. Basketball, arts, hiking, skill development, etc. I know cities have these currently but maybe they need more? Maybe more positive interaction with police in the schools? There needs to be better parenting programs and maybe even free birth control or "higher" sex ed courses for those out of high school. Maybe seminars in the middle schools about the ills of gangs? I don't know. Something.
I haven't checked into this in a long time, but there WERE places to get free birth control - typically condoms, but Planned Parenthood would give gyn exams and birth control pills to girls too. I don't know what they do in the schools but a quick google gave me 6 locations between Hartford, East Hartford and West Hartford.

https://www.findhelp.org/health/birt...l--hartford-ct

*But you are also forgetting the trap of "kids = money" which just continues the cycle of unwed and absent parents, and more kids. Lot more I can say about that but I'll keep it clean.

*you are privileged if you haven't personally run into people throughout your life that think that way and have done that. I wish I hadn't because it sickens me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 06:41 PM

7,174 posts, read 3,904,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I haven't checked into this in a long time, but there WERE places to get free birth control - typically condoms, but Planned Parenthood would give gyn exams and birth control pills to girls too. I don't know what they do in the schools but a quick google gave me 6 locations between Hartford, East Hartford and West Hartford.
Right, free birth control paraphernalia goes back to the 80's at the least. We can all surmise that it hasn't worked out too well.

Old 05-06-2022, 02:35 PM

6,638 posts, read 5,049,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Right, free birth control paraphernalia goes back to the 80's at the least. We can all surmise that it hasn't worked out too well.
And it was in the 80s that I got my first shocking lesson on how people game the system. I doubt that's changed much.

Old 05-07-2022, 01:11 PM

7,947 posts, read 7,874,447 times
Try as I might I think that kids have things are quite a bit differently than in the past. We've replaced so much of the physical with the virtual that it makes it harder for youths to really develop as people. With retail your book stores are gone along with the music stores and video stores. Hanging around Payphone making prank calls is probably gone because pay phones are gone. Your malls are gone. Kids don't have paper routes anymore. There's no more Sears wish book or Saturday morning cartoons. Adding some helicopter parents and some tiger moms and you pretty much have a scenario where they're not exposed to as much unless it is online. Meanwhile everything else has been on demand. Press a few buttons get something delivered in a few days. Video on demand. Audio on demand so much of this is free. Instant communication 24/7. Instead of hanging out at an arcade playing games with each other it's probably on Twitch. Yes we are more tolerant towards things such as being gay and trans and we pretty much decriminalized marijuana but at the same point are nonprofit sector has been eroded which provided a stable platform to help them grow and learn.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:45 PM

21,711 posts, read 31,390,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Try as I might I think that kids have things are quite a bit differently than in the past. We've replaced so much of the physical with the virtual that it makes it harder for youths to really develop as people. With retail your book stores are gone along with the music stores and video stores. Hanging around Payphone making prank calls is probably gone because pay phones are gone. Your malls are gone. Kids don't have paper routes anymore. There's no more Sears wish book or Saturday morning cartoons. Adding some helicopter parents and some tiger moms and you pretty much have a scenario where they're not exposed to as much unless it is online. Meanwhile everything else has been on demand. Press a few buttons get something delivered in a few days. Video on demand. Audio on demand so much of this is free. Instant communication 24/7. Instead of hanging out at an arcade playing games with each other it's probably on Twitch. Yes we are more tolerant towards things such as being gay and trans and we pretty much decriminalized marijuana but at the same point are nonprofit sector has been eroded which provided a stable platform to help them grow and learn.
Sorry, what? Malls aren’t gone. They’re very much in existence. The juveniles committing these crimes aren’t the product of helicopter parents, and the community surrounding these subjects is NOT pro-gay and, if anything, the inner city culture is completely opposite - anti-gay.

The kids you describe above are *not* the same kids being discussed in this thread.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:25 PM

35,159 posts, read 57,317,306 times
Let’s watch what we talk about here and stick to the subject of the OP which is juvenile crime in Connecticut. JayCT, Moderator

Old 05-18-2022, 11:36 AM

34,205 posts, read 17,283,332 times
I am glad he will be tried as an adult, hope the result is the maximum sentence possible.

16 year old Milford resident killed fellow classmate, 17 years old, both Fairfield Prep students.

https://www.milfordmirror.com/news/a...d-17181013.php

Old 05-18-2022, 05:07 PM

35,159 posts, read 57,317,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am glad he will be tried as an adult, hope the result is the maximum sentence possible.

16 year old Milford resident killed fellow classmate, 17 years old, both Fairfield Prep students.

https://www.milfordmirror.com/news/a...d-17181013.php
What a truly horrible crime. A young life lost. Another ruined for life. For what? Likely a petty disagreement. So sad. Jay

Old 05-18-2022, 05:37 PM

34,205 posts, read 17,283,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What a truly horrible crime. A young life lost. Another ruined for life. For what? Likely a petty disagreement. So sad. Jay
Another forum has many saying the murderer put a 2nd kid in the hospital for days, a few months ago. Where were the parents?

I hope he gets life w/o parole.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:13 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,989,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Another forum has many saying the murderer put a 2nd kid in the hospital for days, a few months ago. Where were the parents?

I hope he gets life w/o parole.
More proof of the misguided state of the juvenile justice system. If he did that, he should have been locked up. Why do we have to wait until rhese monsters murder somebody before we take it seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut