Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 09:12 AM

6,942 posts, read 3,777,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
If you have never seen one you are very fortunate and I hope your lucks continues. I have seen photos of packs of them in Bridgeport - isn’t that Fairfield County, Stratford, too? Traffic does not deter them - they have riders who surround vehicles, so they can’t move, then others that block roads, even I-95, so they can do their stunts. When you see news footage of these rides you see no other traffic. On their mass ride in East Haven a few weeks ago they were on U S Route 1, the Boston Post Road. Normally heavy traffic all day on that road, especially on weekends, as it was when this ride occurred. These illegal riders took over the road, so there was no other traffic. They ride in packs through downtown New Haven, too. I sure don’t miss seeing or hearing those illegal vehicles. I have shown the news articles about these mass rides to neighbors where I am now and they can’t believe this goes on.
I'm not up in Bridgeport and Stratford enough to corroborate. It could very well be but I haven't seen it. Maybe Danbury too, I don't know.
It's not something that happens Greenwich to Fairfield, ever, that much I do know. 10 minutes in a FFC logjam would drive even the wildest of ATVers to lose their minds and give up. "F this, we outta dis sh%&t, Imma get me a$$ back to Da Haven"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 10:37 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,728,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
I know everyone likes to say "see what happens when you want to defund police!!!!" but y'all are looking from the outside in. Talk to an actual city resident and you will probably get a different story than you do from those living in the suburbs, speculating about what they are hearing on the local news.
But what exactly is that different story? Within the city, you still have plenty of decent, hard-working people there who have nowhere else to go, and are probably disgusted by now with the delinquents having the ruling hand. They might not be in a wealthy suburban enclave, but they too are probably tired of hearing about crime. What is their perspective? Is it really that different from suburbanites?

Crime certainly existed before we saw the tape of Derek Chauvin last year, but since then, the anti-police sentiment has reached biblical proportions. There ARE people out there who saw that footage, and in their own ignorance, linked this incident to all members of law enforcement as being pugnacious, trigger-happy individuals and that's just simply not true. Calls to "defund the police" might look great on a protest sign or a social media hashtag, but in reality, it's had truly destructive consequences, even in municipalities that did not go through with this. Perhaps more than ever, we need police officers and morale among law enforcement right now is abysmal, and it's largely because of this aversion against anyone who works in law enforcement. I know some people love to point to Camden, New Jersey as an example of how this worked, but have you seen Camden lately? It's still overwhelmed with crime. Going from REALLY bad to just bad isn't an improvement. And in the case of Connecticut in general and Hartford in particular, there's little incentive to conform to the basic rules of society. That's why all of this is happening.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:38 AM

21,637 posts, read 31,257,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
I disagree. I actually live downtown, so I am not just a suburban passerby. Well before there were any calls to defund the police, ATVs and motorcycles were a problem on Hartford streets and in Hartford parks. Wethersfield Ave has been known as a drag strip for years, with insanely large and loud impromptu street parties every summer weekend (food trucks even show up lol), and this summer has been the most proactive I have ever seen Hartford PD in that area. A gas station (of all places) near Brainard airport was the site of many huge gatherings with street racing, rowdy crowds, etc. for years and that finally quieted down AFTER the call to defund police. Hartford PD has actively shutting down highway ramps into the area on weekends to control traffic flow and have actually been addressing some of the neighborhood complaints.

I know everyone likes to say "see what happens when you want to defund police!!!!" but y'all are looking from the outside in. Talk to an actual city resident and you will probably get a different story than you do from those living in the suburbs, speculating about what they are hearing on the local news.
Your anecdotal observations isn’t in line with crime statistics showing a massive uptick in crime in 2021, with Hartford’s violent crime rates being among the worst in many years.

See what happens when you want to defund police? This happens. Stats matter.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:40 PM

332 posts, read 218,535 times
Well, there was a strongarm robbery at a gas station here in Simsbury early this morning. The employee said there were four people and one of them punched the employee in the face. They stole cigarettes and cash. It appears the suspects are still at large. I find it a bit odd that the police didn't give a description of the suspects. You'd think that would be helpful info. Makes you wonder if political correctness was in play. Once the perps are caught, I doubt we'll be surprised by where the suspects are from.

Article: https://patch.com/connecticut/simsbu...gobFSe_VuH63DE

Old 08-04-2021, 03:58 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
Well, there was a strongarm robbery at a gas station here in Simsbury early this morning. The employee said there were four people and one of them punched the employee in the face. They stole cigarettes and cash. It appears the suspects are still at large. I find it a bit odd that the police didn't give a description of the suspects. You'd think that would be helpful info. Makes you wonder if political correctness was in play. Once the perps are caught, I doubt we'll be surprised by where the suspects are from.

Article: https://patch.com/connecticut/simsbu...gobFSe_VuH63DE
They will be out on bail once caught in hours, slap on the wrist to follow. That is the 2021 p.c. way and this state follows it. Must not punish anyone.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:00 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,843,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Your anecdotal observations isn’t in line with crime statistics showing a massive uptick in crime in 2021, with Hartford’s violent crime rates being among the worst in many years.

Hartford didn't defund their police. Crime is up across the nation. Its not restricted to CT. Covid has a lot to do with it IMO. If I was a police officer I wouldn't waste my time trying to catch someone who stole a TV and risk catching covid myself. That's asinine.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:06 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,843,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
But what exactly is that different story? Within the city, you still have plenty of decent, hard-working people there who have nowhere else to go, and are probably disgusted by now with the delinquents having the ruling hand. They might not be in a wealthy suburban enclave, but they too are probably tired of hearing about crime. What is their perspective? Is it really that different from suburbanites?

Crime certainly existed before we saw the tape of Derek Chauvin last year, but since then, the anti-police sentiment has reached biblical proportions. There ARE people out there who saw that footage, and in their own ignorance, linked this incident to all members of law enforcement as being pugnacious, trigger-happy individuals and that's just simply not true. Calls to "defund the police" might look great on a protest sign or a social media hashtag, but in reality, it's had truly destructive consequences, even in municipalities that did not go through with this. Perhaps more than ever, we need police officers and morale among law enforcement right now is abysmal, and it's largely because of this aversion against anyone who works in law enforcement. I know some people love to point to Camden, New Jersey as an example of how this worked, but have you seen Camden lately? It's still overwhelmed with crime. Going from REALLY bad to just bad isn't an improvement. And in the case of Connecticut in general and Hartford in particular, there's little incentive to conform to the basic rules of society. That's why all of this is happening.

Chauvin murdering Floyd was the straw that broke the camels back. Frankly, its too late now for the police to get another mulligan. They brought it on themselves.

Policing needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up in America, not going to happen any time soon though. We would have to at least wait for the current generation to retire and/die to see changes. Possibly even have to wait for the next generation too since a lot of children of police go into policing. And they learn from their parents.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:44 PM

512 posts, read 353,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Facts also matter: Hartford has not defunded their police. Mayor Bronin wanted to cut $1MM from their budget but the measure failed.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:05 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,728,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Chauvin murdering Floyd was the straw that broke the camels back. Frankly, its too late now for the police to get another mulligan. They brought it on themselves.
Really? All police officers brought this on themselves? This was one incident, and while it isn't isolated, you're making it sound like all cops are like this. They are not. I'll tell you what — you wait until you're in you're in a life or death situation, you need immediate assistance, and you tell me what you're going to do. Stop being a keyboard warrior and go down to your local police precinct and tell them what you just said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers
Policing needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up in America, not going to happen any time soon though. We would have to at least wait for the current generation to retire and/die to see changes. Possibly even have to wait for the next generation too since a lot of children of police go into policing. And they learn from their parents.
No it doesn't. It just needs reform. Police were not intended to be social workers, nor should they be. Their job is simple: serve the public trust, protect the innocent, uphold the law.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 08-04-2021 at 07:59 PM..

Old 08-04-2021, 07:32 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Police were not intended to be social workers, nor should they be. Their job is simple: serve the public trust, protect the innocent, uphold the law.
Amen.

Now if anyone wishes to help inner city residents, volunteer your time to work with them on emulating what the successful, law-abiding citizens do (educate themselves, obey the law every day, every year, avoid responsibilities they are not ready for such as having children at 14, etc).

The Moynihan Breakthrough report half a century ago is still followed intuitively today, by productive law-abiding citizens. It is why our suburbs, like all states, drastically outperform inner cities.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 08-04-2021 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut