Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,359,673 times

Advertisements

The other big news is will Central Park (and NWS Bridgeport too I guess) get through the next 3-4 days without a trace of snow? As we said, a trace is not all that uncommon for Central Park in December - but zero snowfall is much more rare.

The odds of zero snowfall for December would seem to be increasing at this point. My gut feeling is that a dusting of snow might come on the 31st - but it wll be a close call. We could very well see zero snow for December at most NWS stations in the Tri-State area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
New Haven reported 62mph wind gust.
Which as best I can see was the strongest wind in the entire Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
The other big news is will Central Park (and NWS Bridgeport too I guess) get through the next 3-4 days without a trace of snow? As we said, a trace is not all that uncommon for Central Park in December - but zero snowfall is much more rare.

The odds of zero snowfall for December would seem to be increasing at this point. My gut feeling is that a dusting of snow might come on the 31st - but it wll be a close call. We could very well see zero snow for December at most NWS stations in the Tri-State area.
Can't easily find stats on Bridgeport, but I imagine a completely snowless December is slightly (but just slightly) rarer there just by being a bit further north.....like did it have a T in 2006 when CPK had nada? (Actually that can be found on OKX, but only until the end of this week because they show 5 years of F-6 data.....Bridgeport had a T on Dec 8, 2006 while CPK had no precipitation (was probably an "east" thing as Islip had a T but none of the other tri-state terminals had anything))......in fact NWS is showing just rain this weekend for CPK but wet snow mixing in in Bridgeport.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:06 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quick look at December comparisons...
Taking all the daily high temps and all the daily lows and getting 1 average here's how it adds up.

December 2011(till 27th)
Average High for the month: 49
Average Low: 33

December 2010
Average High for the month: 37
Average Low: 25

HUGE DIFFERENCE! Wow.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Which as best I can see was the strongest wind in the entire Northeast.
Apparently a 71mph gust with the storm.

...NORFOLK COUNTY...
MILTON 71 1116 AM 12/27 HAM RADIO
National Weather Service Text Product Display

Here's KOKX reports.
National Weather Service Text Product Display

Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nothing else to talk about. Not confident in cold temps for New Years Eve but a clipper still comes through. Rain or snow it will be light. Maybe Icy travel North of 84.

One thing I love about New England Weather, if you dont like the pattern, just wait a couple weeks. lol

No big storms on the models anymore. No blocking. BUT.......

It will get cold tonight and even colder next week with highs in the 20s and teens north of us. BUT.......

Without blocking, 40s come right back.

You guys better hope there's big storms in Jan/February for one reason... If we dont, then it's possible we have Nor'Easters and Tropical storms heading this way again. You can mark my words on that. We need to get that pattern out of the way now so blocking disappears for Spring/Summer.
I'm a bit confused by what you are saying? I thought we get out blockbuster storms when there IS blocking (when the NAO is negative).

Are we more prone to TS and hurricanes when the NAO is positive or negative? Would you mind explaining the WHY behind it too!

I'm envious of your knowledge of meteorology! I just know enough not to kill myself in a airplane (I canceled flight yesterday) as my wind limit is gusts to 35 mph.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I'm a bit confused by what you are saying? I thought we get out blockbuster storms when there IS blocking (when the NAO is negative).

Are we more prone to TS and hurricanes when the NAO is positive or negative? Would you mind explaining the WHY behind it too!

I'm envious of your knowledge of meteorology! I just know enough not to kill myself in a airplane (I canceled flight yesterday) as my wind limit is gusts to 35 mph.
Your correct. My statement you bolded implies the NAO better go negative now otherwise chances are it will be negative for Spring or Summer and that spells trouble.

Good idea cancelling. These winds should persist till tonight as the system moves away. Pressure gradients still tight to the west of us.

BTW -last night winds at the 850mb level(few thousand feet up) were 100mph.

Here's Stu Ostro's post on FB. Like his page if you're on FB. Stu Ostro | Facebook

Thanks for the compliments but its just a hobby of mine and I know very little. Still learning so much.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Can't easily find stats on Bridgeport, but I imagine a completely snowless December is slightly (but just slightly) rarer there just by being a bit further north.....like did it have a T in 2006 when CPK had nada? (Actually that can be found on OKX, but only until the end of this week because they show 5 years of F-6 data.....Bridgeport had a T on Dec 8, 2006 while CPK had no precipitation (was probably an "east" thing as Islip had a T but none of the other tri-state terminals had anything))......in fact NWS is showing just rain this weekend for CPK but wet snow mixing in in Bridgeport.
From NWS Upton.

Quote:
since 1948, only 4 Decembers have seen either no snow or just a trace of snow. Those years are 2006, 2003, 1994, and 1953. As you can see, a snow-less December is quite rare for Bridgeport!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 AM

633 posts, read 1,643,913 times
Are you saying spring and summer going to have a lot of rain?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Bundle up the kiddies tomorrow morning. Real Feel temps will be near single digits
http://www.intellicast.com/National/...WindChill.aspx

Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 PM

633 posts, read 1,643,913 times
Wonder it is possible to plant live oaks in Connecticut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut