Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:58 PM

110 posts, read 490,985 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to the Texas coast and have narrowed it down to Port A or Rockport. We are not concerned with buying just yet..but renting. Rent is cheaper in Rockport, we have found.

Can anyone give us the rundown on the differences between these towns...especially with overall views (is one more liberal than another or are they both very "texas"?

Does one have better schools than another? (We have a child going into 4th grade next fall.)

I hear Rockport has a beach...and is it as nice as Port A?

Anything else we should know about the differences?

We have actually spent time in Port A but not Rockport...so we kind of know the vibe of Port A and realize it is more of a tourist place...but Rockport is a place we have only passed through.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Rockport is becoming known as a retirement community and an arts community. Port Aransas is more of a party-on-the-beach community, although it has some very exclusive subdivisions. I don't know anything about either school district, but you could look at GreatSchools.net. Port Aransas is crazy at Spring Break--Rockport isn't really. If you live in Port A, you either have to take the ferry, which can back waaaay up in summer, or do a 30-minute drive to get to Corpus Christi. Both have good restaurants. There is a great community pool in Aransas Pass (thinking of your 4th-grader), which is close to both Rp and PA, but again, there's the ferry ride to consider.

I suggest you take a couple of days and explore both of them. Both would be nice places to live if you're looking for a beachy lifestyle.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:10 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,906 times
I loved Port A when I visited there. Never been to Rockport though. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 27,373 times
Default Texas Native who has been visting RP for 35 years

I have always felt like Rockport is more laid back and easy going than Port A. Both towns have their share of tourist, but Port A attracts a bit of a wilder crowd.

As one who is very "Texas" rather than liberal, I have found Rockport has a true variety in its townspeople. Like most small Texas towns, there is a well established group of blue collar, snuff dipping, truck driving bubbas that are nice, but are anything but liberal. However, with the strong presence of the art community, you will find plenty of folks on the left side of the line.

I do not know anything about the schools, and I have always enjoyed the beach at RP, but they do not allow dogs on the beach so my lab does not care for it.

If you want to spend some time in RP, I suggest staying at the Little Bay Resort (nice comfortable cabins).

Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,332 times
Rockport seemed like a better place to live and Port A a better place to hang out. The ferry, while interesting, would get old in going to Corpus or points beyond.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,567 times
Rockport has a more varied community even though it has lots of tourists. Port A is filled with tourists -they overwhelm the town. Both have good school districts -way better than Corpus- Port A is smaller. ( I was on the school board in Aransas County). Both places are safe however rowdy and perhaps a few criminal tourists result in a Port A being less safe. Both are filled with good restaurants. Rockport has barrier islands and a bit safer in a hurricane. Port A has more partying and bars. Rockport is the center of govt for Aransas County 26,000 Port A is just an annex of Corpus Christi. Rockport is probably a better investment but land in both is cheaper. Rockport has a few more rednecks than Port A but not much of a difference. Traffic is much worse in Port A and at times around the ferry unbearable. The ferry however is free and fun.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 AM

22 posts, read 140,428 times
I went to Rockport High, I still remember Mr. Brown. a great teacher, He wanted you to learn. I hope he's still around. This was quite a few years ago. Hell I want to retire next year form Dow Chemical, 33 years!!!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
for what it's worth
My husband has a nephew who is in his late 50s who lives in Austin and recently bought vacation house in Rockport--they like to fish salt water...he has large extended family-5 adult children--4 married with children--his mom (my SIL) lives in Victoria and can drive over fairly easily eventhough she is in her early 80s...
they looked all along the coast and finally chose Rockport
they had been renting home for vacations and fishing in Port OConnor during past few years but that is not same type of town it was in past--their grandparents (my husband's mom/dad) owned pretty rustic vacation home there and all the family used it back in the 70s/80s before it was sold so there were ties to Port OConnor
but big sport fishermen and big money home owners have made land prices there go out the roof apparently but the area itself is not that great with amenities
they eventually bought in Rockport because they thought it had better value/communities for long term ownership

got house on canal that is easy access to the Bay/Gulf
although I think he is storing his boats at marina for security, he can dock at house when they are in residence
they love it there--
has lots of options for shopping/activities if they don't want to fish but it is not so touristy an area--at least where they bought they said

Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksABunch View Post
We're considering a move to the Texas coast and have narrowed it down to Port A or Rockport. We are not concerned with buying just yet..but renting. Rent is cheaper in Rockport, we have found.

Can anyone give us the rundown on the differences between these towns...especially with overall views (is one more liberal than another or are they both very "texas"?

Does one have better schools than another? (We have a child going into 4th grade next fall.)

I hear Rockport has a beach...and is it as nice as Port A?

Anything else we should know about the differences?

We have actually spent time in Port A but not Rockport...so we kind of know the vibe of Port A and realize it is more of a tourist place...but Rockport is a place we have only passed through.

Thank you!!
Rockport is a real working and family community with lots to offer. Port A is much more of a tourist town and has better beaches. You choose.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM

135 posts, read 498,901 times
you cant go wrong with either choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi