Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Maj. Nidal be executed, or serve a life term with no chance of parole?
Execute him 29 72.50%
Life sentence with no parole 10 25.00%
Not sure 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,042,579 times

Advertisements

No one wins these wars we love to enter. Iraq was a mess and some military just didn't handle that war very well. Another sad statistic. Not sure why these people feel the need to kill others though. Misery loves company? I just don't get the killing of others part, but I guess I just don't get what these guys are going through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 12:28 PM

13,515 posts, read 17,065,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Did 'Nam vets come back and shoot the place up? .

eh, yes, some did.

But I'd hesitate to guess there will be more as a result of these wars than Vietnam, because of the length of the wars and the number of tours people were put through, and how bad the economy is they are coming back to. Not as many people died, but the psychological toll might be worse.

This is why the whole lock-step support of the Iraq invasion was such a disturbing and sad moment in American history, both by our elected officials and the general public, the majority of whom never questioned it and in addition actively attacked anyone who spoke up. I'll never forget people like Bill O'Reilly and Howard Stern saying things akin to "anybody who speaks against the country is a traitor" during the months leading up to the invasion.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:34 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,423,834 times
I believe that a life penalty without the possibility of parole is a long drawn out version of the death penalty. Soooo.....In order to be humane and to keep him from suffering, do it as soon as possible.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,264,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I don't believe in the death penalty? What is the purpose? To satisfy one's outrage over a crime? It's not a detterent by any means still we have murders occuring daily.
Do you or do you not believe in the death penalty? Why are you asking us?

The death penalty is no deterrent because it isn't used enough to make a difference. 14K+ murders last year, and only 39 executions. Raise that number from 39 to 7500, and I guarantee there will be a difference in the murder rate.

If I knew there was only a 39 in 14,000 chance that I would get a ticket for driving 100 MPH on an open interstate, you can bet I'd do it every day.

Nothing can be realistically done to eliminate murders, but if the punishment were real, some would consider their actions.

The purpose of the death penalty isn't punishment, as far as I'm concerned. It is to permanently remove murderers (and maybe other criminals as well) from society, so that they cannot possibly have any further effect on anyone. It also releases the taxpayers from funding them and their jailers for many years.

You can skip the "what if someone is innocent?" and "it costs so much to execute someone" arguments. They've all been addressed.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,755,887 times
The guy planned and killed 13 people and you have to ask if he should be killed or not? Why are my fellow Americans so soft?

Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 PM

1,136 posts, read 944,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The Death Penalty is a breach of the International Treaty of Human Rights drawn up over 60 years ago.

It is now a breach of International Law and the US remains the only Western country which still employs it.

I sympathise with the anger re. putting this guy to death, but the DP belongs in third world countries where they don't know better.

Americans are allowing their politicians to legally murder citizens.

I don't see how this can be a good thing.
Good idea, let's just dump him in Ethiopia.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,757,134 times
I'm against the death penalty.

Life in solitary confinement 24/7 with no contact with the outside world.
A life sentence will feel like 3 life sentences

Kill them by boredom

Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,755,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I'm against the death penalty.

Life in solitary confinement 24/7 with no contact with the outside world.
A life sentence will feel like 3 life sentences

Kill them by boredom
And are you willing to pay for it? I'm not

Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 PM

774 posts, read 908,165 times
I'd kind of think 50 years or 5 seconds in a max security prison would deter any sane person but I don't know.

Can't say for sure what's best.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,552,203 times
We no longer have the moral volition to carry out justice we let our special ops hit men do it or our incarcerated inmates
Or use drones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events