Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,974,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
That is an apple to oranges comparison. Charles Barkley does not have a lot of "big ole women" as his employees.
So as long as a white commentator isn't the one employing blacks they can say what they please?

Quote:
The NBA is 75% black and an owner, with dementia according to his wife, insulted most of his employees and 3/4 of the league. His comments were not simply regarding his GF taking pics or hanging out with black men. He went on to speak in an exceptionally condescending and patronizing manner regarding his employees and unfortunately came off sounding like a plantation owner referring to his slaves.
So you agree that insulting people is grounds for punishment?

Quote:
I do not believe in discriminating against obese people, but how would you like to "fine" Barkley for making a joke? You want him banned from tv? This will have to be social punishment, and there are some people making statements.
TNT is his boss. They should be the one dishing out punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Puh-leeze. "Bullying" is when you're a kid in school and a tough guy threatens to beat you up if you don't give him your lunch money. Teasing and telling jokes, even poking fun of a group, is not bullying. Quit diluting the term.
There are several forms of bullying. It's not just threats of physical harm.

I'm starting to agree more and more with the person that said fat people are one of the last groups people are still allowed to bully. Gay? You better not say anything. Black? You best not even think it. Fat? Let me tell you this new joke...

Old 05-14-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks-Mahony View Post
Former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin said his city "should become chocolate" -- implying that white people were no longer welcome in that town. Did he get impeached for saying this? Nope, got a nice pension and Presidential commendations.

Another case of blacks getting carte blanche to say disgusting, racist statements with impunity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeM7BmBwbpQ
Wow. Imagine if a white mayor said lets rebuild a white city.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:49 PM

8,899 posts, read 5,394,366 times
If San Antonio truly has no Victoria's Sceret stores they are blessed, IMHO. Overpriced merchandise.

What would happen if an overweight woman said disparaging things about black men? Would Charles be tolerant?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,864,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Because he is allowed to say hateful things on TV about certain groups without punishment.

Why should one group be protected from hateful remarks more than another group?

Why can Shaq make fun of a handicapped person? Why can Barkley make fun of overweight people?

It seems like everyone is fair game except for gays/blacks.
We expect blacks to be rude because they are well you know black.

We expect homos to be rude because they are well you know homo.

We never expect high conduct from those who are not like us and have been objects of derision in the past or present. It is a form of neo-overlordship.

The real problem is our media treats it as nothing we then establishes a normalcy to the conduct instead of questioning and ostracizing as would have been done in a more professional era.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM

8,899 posts, read 5,394,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Well, for one thing, fat people can lose weight. Everyone else on your list doesn't have a viable option to alter their condition.

As a former fat person, I'm offended that anyone would seek to protect obese people and suggest they're disabled some how. They're not, they consume more calories than their bodies need and can reverse the condition by reducing intake. While it's true that obesity is often a symptom of another condition (e.g. depression, etc.), more often than not it's a lifestyle choice.
It would seem Barkley has a big mouth. He could certainly alter that condition, should he choose to.

But I guess we shouldn't pick on him for his lifestyle choice.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Noted black professor Kamau Kambon at North Carolina State suggesting in 2006 that "we have to exterminate all white people off the face of this planet".

The lovely professor was never censured or dismissed for his racist terroristic threats. What if Don Sterling said these exact words?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEqa90XpPw0
Wow. It's absolutely amazing how you never hear of these people from the media, yet 81 yr old Donald Sterling creates a national month of mourning (for telling his GF not to take pictures with black guys).

Old 05-14-2014, 08:38 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,002,653 times
Quote:
So it's perfectly OK if I call your wife a "fat sow" as she waddles down the street?

She was never one of those waddlers you see in the Wal*Mart photos. And now she's pretty svelte. But feel free as there will invariably be much fatter people around who will think you're talking about them

Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,330,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
There are several forms of bullying. It's not just threats of physical harm.

I'm starting to agree more and more with the person that said fat people are one of the last groups people are still allowed to bully. Gay? You better not say anything. Black? You best not even think it. Fat? Let me tell you this new joke...
Go back to my Fred Sanford clip, THAT is how it should be. "Take this faggety jacket with you" and "there were so many brothers & sisters in traffic court I thought I was at an NAACP rally." What about Don Rickles at the Dean Martin Roasts "God bless you Nipsey [Russell, who was African-American], when you get a chance the hotel has to be cleaned."

THAT is how it should be, I don't care if it's not the 1970s anymore, joking like that is just fine & dandy with me. We think joking is "bullying." What a bunch of crock. Like the one person said, teasing is NOT bullying (neither is joking), the term has become diluted.

Can't take a joke? Like Charles Barkley says, turn off the freaking TV.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,452,113 times
"Barkley had said on the nationally televised broadcast last week that San Antonio is a 'gold mine for weight-watchers,' that there are 'some big ol’ women down there' and 'Victoria is definitely a secret [in San Antonio] … they can’t wear no Victoria’s Secret down there.'

Activists groups including the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance called for his immediate apology, but on Sunday night, Barkley said flat out, 'that’s not going to happen.' "

It's damn time people started standing up to the self-righteous activist bullies.

Long past time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events