Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 08:40 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

The fact that his son was already exhibiting signs of extreme anti social and aggressive cursing behavior at such a young age, in itself is signs for great concern.

What's Peterson doing (or not doing) to properly raise his kids, in that he basically snaps and violently assaults his kid?

And of course like I said some are excusing this behavior

Old 09-13-2014, 08:43 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why wouldn't I be? All I am saying is if I were a black person, I wouldn't whip as a punishment because of it's significance with history. I think some of you are reading more into my question or something because I don't get why apparently some think it was an outrageous question?

Since you are not black, you do not know what you would or wouldn't do if you were a black person, all you can do is speculate. Maybe you want to keep black people victims of slavery, but many of us, do not consider ourselves victims even if you want us to be.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Both of my grannies used the hickory switch on all of their children and grandchildren (one was from Appalachia). They kept 3 or 4 good ones on top of the fridge. Sometimes you would be asked to go pick your own...which usually resulted in bringing back a small twig, haha. There was never any blood or anything but those little things sting, lol.

As far as AP - I don't know how far he took it, but I'm not one that's morally appalled by the thought of whoppin' a child. And heck, looking at the broader issue of absentee fathers in the black community...at least AP is trying to a father.
He drew blood. IMO, that's taking it too far.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:17 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
The fact that Peterson considered this a "normal spanking" is disturbing. As much as he wants to minimize it, hitting a little 4 year old with such severity is child abuse.

According to this article: Vikings star Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse of his son 11 months after a different boy of his was beaten to death by his mother's boyfriend | Mail Online

He also texted the boy's mother: 'Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.'

The child offered police a different version of events, telling them Peterson hit him on the face and that he feared further punishment for talking to the authorities about what happened.

He said that he had been hit by a belt and that 'there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.'

The boy also said that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down and told his mother that his dad 'likes belts and switches' and 'has a whooping room.'

Sorry, this is not normal discipline!

Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Is it just me who is surprised that a black man would use a tool and punishment on his child that slave owners used?
Yes it is just you.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Quote:
Is it just me who is surprised that a black man would use a tool and punishment on his child that slave owners used?
Racist much? Spanking with a switch is not just a black persons solution. Christians use, "spare the rod;spoil the child." Even the person from Appalachia has chimed in in the use of such.

I think AP did go too far in his rationale of whipping the child (naked). I believe discipline should be used based on the child's temperament. Some children will break down if you stare at them too long. Others don't respond to whipping at all. While others respond to having their prized possessions taken away.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:50 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes it is just you.
No, it's not.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:56 AM

542 posts, read 1,683,604 times
He'll go unpunished by the law just like Ray Rice.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:59 AM

99,563 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
He'll go unpunished by the law just like Ray Rice.
Of course. Nothing is more important in this country than the NFL and $$$$$$.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:07 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Since you are not black, you do not know what you would or wouldn't do if you were a black person, all you can do is speculate. Maybe you want to keep black people victims of slavery, but many of us, do not consider ourselves victims even if you want us to be.
I don't think my explanations are doing what I intend because I'm still not being understood, so I will just drop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events