Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 06:16 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
So you honestly believe that this cop arrived on the scene and because the kid was black decided to mow him down
What do you base this on other than assumption/conjecture?
Was the cop known to have brutalized blacks before?
Was the cop a member of a racist organization?
What?

In this case, you are not inferring it was based on race, so hopefully we can both agree that poor hiring and/or weeding out policies are to blame. You would be shocked at the type of people they will hire now days to be police.

Heck my biggest beef with what happened was not the taking down of a resisting suspect, rather that after he was subdued, no one rendered aid when he was saying he could not breathe. Both the cops and medics need to be held accountable for that. My 2nd biggest issue is why is NYC sending out cops to make arrests for small time tax cheats. Just issue the tickets/citations and deal with them in a non physical way.

I am not sure which case you are referring to, but rest assured many an unarmed suspect gets killed by the police(far too many), and it has nothing to do with race. For instance if a black cop shoots a black suspect, I doubt you would claim it is racial, right?
(black on black)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YlepdVfiZo

Or just walking down the street a deaf man whittling a piece of wood with a tiny knife can get you blown away(white on white)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLiAWdq9pf0

Or holding a garden hose sprayer (white on white)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6S7LRrCru8

Another unarmed white suspect (firefighter) killed by a white cop
(white on white)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1djqKjvltRI

And here a black LEO shooting a unarmed white suspect reaching for his cane;
(black on white)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiuAf2F-BPo

Any of the aforementioned had nothing to do with race, yet if it was white cop vs. black suspect, the liberal media and race merchants would frame it that way. Yet the problem is over aggressive cops regardless of the race of the LEO or suspect.

`

I'm not going to highlight everything you posted, but I will AGREE that the cop who killed Tamir should NEVER have been hired by Cleveland PD after his old department branded him a serious detriment to the department if he became a cop there. I still DO believe that he would not have shot a 12 year old white kid that quickly before the kid could even say "Boo". I hope he's charged with manslaughter and Tamir's family gets mega millions for his death.

And I will also agree that YES, there is a SERIOUS problem when police officers are killing people FIRST and asking questions later.

Look, I know their jobs are difficult and wouldn't trade places with them for a minute. For all we know there just might be a brand new type of criminal out there (of all races) that they're forced to deal with that we don't know about. I will give them that.

But millions of law enforcement officers have retired throughout the years without shooting killing anyone.

This seems to be changing.

Yes, I'd like to say that I'm a good citizen that has never had a problem with law enforcement nor have I acted the fool with them, but "what if" I get that cop that's having a "bad" day and it doesn't matter how much respect I'm giving him?

This is what bothers me. Instead of the George Zimmerman creepy looking freaks bothering me at night, it might be a lone cop with "issues".

Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 PM

23,474 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The poster wanted you to find cases where young white children with guns were shot by police officers.
No, the poster wanted cases where unarmed white guys were shot by cops and also a case where a 12 year old was shot while either being unarmed or with a toy gun.

Quote:
As far as Wilson goes, I've changed my stance on what he did being race-based, but I do believe HE started the entire altercation of what happened and will NEVER believe that Brown attacked him and tried to take his gun. He's LYING. It was a case of a power tripping cop gone wrong.
You believe that the bruises on each side of Wilson's face, and the cut lip, was done by Wilson himself?
Wilson already had a tussle with Brown and knew how strong he was, and, 'may' have thought that he couldn't bring Brown down on his own in a physical hand-to-hand situation when Brown was charging at him.
(Re: you thinking Brown wouldn't be able to reach into the vehicle and past Wilson, fwiw, unless a person is shorter than average it isn't that difficult to reach through a window into a truck/suburban and reach 'past' the drivers seat, even with someone sitting in that seat - I've done it many times and I'm just average height, no where near as tall as Brown)

Quote:
Tamir Rice, no, that was indeed RACE-BASED. No way would that cop would have shot a 12 year old white kid within two seconds of driving up on him. Sorry.
I disagree, especially seeing his background of being a weepy and spineless man-child. Heck, he'd probably shoot some little old blue haired white woman who is on her way to go play bingo and carrying a bingo dauber, thinking that the bingo dauber would be a weapon.

Plus, what about his partner (Garmback, a 10+ year veteran cop) who had driven the car not in the street but down the sidewalk and stopping on the grass within a few feet of Rice, which placed his partner (Loehmann) so very near to Rice ... instead of driving up in the street, or in the parking area, assessing the situation and using the megaphone to instruct Rice to put his hands up - gee, one would think that someone who had been a cop for more than 10 years would think of doing that. Oh. They thought Rice would run and they'd have to run after him - I guess just the thought of possible physical exertion was too much for those two (lazy) cops and why they drove right up on Rice, on the grass, instead of stopping in the street, or in that parking area between the street and the grass.

Garmback doesn't have a stellar record either...
A woman had driven home to find a vehicle parked in front of her driveway, blocking it. She called the cops and reported it. A while later she saw Garmback and his partner walking down the street with a man and a woman in handcuffs because they had been busted for a criminal act. *The woman who called about the vehicle was completely unaware that the two were being busted for something, and not involved with the vehicle blocking her drive* When the woman saw that those two were in handcuffs she went out to say that didn't want them arrested for parking where they had, thinking that they were being busted for parking in front of her drive. Evidently Garmback didn't have a clue about her call regarding the vehicle in front of her drive, yet it appears that Garmback started arguing with the woman, and the woman argued back (all Garmback really had to do was to say that what they were doing had nothing to do with what the woman was talking about--sounds simple enough, right?) Garmback then grabbed the woman in a choke hold and got her down on the ground and was pummeling her body while he was doing it. Then his partner came and punched her in the face. She sued the PD for $100k and won.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:23 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
You believe that the bruises on each side of Wilson's face, and the cut lip, was done by Wilson himself?
What "bruises" or cut lip? The man had what amounted to a freaking sunburn on his face. The way he said that the hulk with super human demonic strength was going at his face, it would look worse than that. Hell, I get bruises on my arms when I bump into the armrest of soft couch sometimes.

Quote:
I disagree, especially seeing his background of being a weepy and spineless man-child. Heck, he'd probably shoot some little old blue haired white woman who is on her way to go play bingo and carrying a bingo dauber, thinking that the bingo dauber would be a weapon.
Yeah, maybe. He was such a freaking wimp! Didn't Cleveland at least give the simpering coward a psych test?? This is one case I hope they don't let go.

Quote:
Garmback doesn't have a stellar record either...
A woman had driven home to find a vehicle parked in front of her driveway, blocking it. She called the cops and reported it. A while later she saw Garmback and his partner walking down the street with a man and a woman in handcuffs because they had been busted for a criminal act. *The woman who called about the vehicle was completely unaware that the two were being busted for something, and not involved with the vehicle blocking her drive* When the woman saw that those two were in handcuffs she went out to say that didn't want them arrested for parking where they had, thinking that they were being busted for parking in front of her drive. Evidently Garmback didn't have a clue about her call regarding the vehicle in front of her drive, yet it appears that Garmback started arguing with the woman, and the woman argued back (all Garmback really had to do was to say that what they were doing had nothing to do with what the woman was talking about--sounds simple enough, right?) Garmback then grabbed the woman in a choke hold and got her down on the ground and was pummeling her body while he was doing it. Then his partner came and punched her in the face. She sued the PD for $100k and won.
Un..freaking...believable.

I'm speechless.

No wonder that yellow-bellied simpleton was able to get hired at that precinct so quickly without a thorough background check being done.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
What "bruises" or cut lip? The man had what amounted to a freaking sunburn on his face. The way he said that the hulk with super human demonic strength was going at his face, it would look worse than that. Hell, I get bruises on my arms when I bump into the armrest of soft couch sometimes.
I"ll admit that the bruising doesn't really show up in the full frontal picture, but you can definitely see the bruises on the side pictures.

Yeah, maybe. He was such a freaking wimp! Didn't Cleveland at least give the simpering coward a psych test?? This is one case I hope they don't let go.
Don't know about the psych test. The PD union spokesperson had made comments that it was deemed justified, and that is that. The mayor said h*ll no has it been deemed justified and that it's 'not' case closed, that it will go before a GJ, for the GJ to decide and not for the union spokesperson to decide. The idiot union spokesperson also wants one of the football players, who wore a shirt backing Rice, to apologize to the PD for wearing it

Un..freaking...believable.

I'm speechless.

No wonder that yellow-bellied simpleton was able to get hired at that precinct so quickly without a thorough background check being done.
Yes, yellow-bellied simpleton is a pretty accurate description of Loehmann, far more fitting than racist. His partner, Garmback is black. IF Loehmann was a raving racist he probably would have not played well with Garmback, resulting in his being placed with a different partner -- after all, Loehmann had absolutely no problems with telling his superior, in his previous cop job, that he wished the guy would just shut up. (if he was so stupid to say that to his superior in that job, if he were racist, he'd probably be stupid enough to say a racist remark about, and to, Garmback)

Old 12-17-2014, 09:53 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Or just walking down the street a deaf man whittling a piece of wood with a tiny knife can get you blown away(white on white)
The Seattle shooting was actually white on Native American.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 PM

16,552 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The Seattle shooting was actually white on Native American.
Well first of all, I do not play PC games with terms like hyphenated-American. So I assume you mean he was an American Indian. Some might just call him red, as in black, white, brown, etc.
Second, I am a native American in the sense I was born here. As far as I am concerned anyone born in this country is a native of America.
Third, what difference does his ethnic group have to do with anything related to why he was killed. Answer,,,nothing.

My whole issue and involvement with this thread is to point out that these high profile killings of unarmed people are not race related. Not one scintilla of evidence has been provided to prove such a claim, other than the way liberals and the race merchants attempt to frame it that way. Their only "evidence" is supposedly that unarmed whites do not get killed. In reality unarmed whites get killed as well. While I do not know of any stats to back it up, I suspect more unarmed whites are killed by LEO's than blacks, since they represent a greater population. Granted blacks commit more crime per capita, but still plenty of whites commit crimes and have encounters with police.

Innocent people from all races have been tragically killed by LEO's. Some you understand under the circumstances, but others make no sense, especially when something other than lethal force could have been used.
I am very pro law enforcement, as I have several in my family and was raised to respect the badge. However that does not mean I support police brutality or excessive force. Good police officers don't support it either, as the few bad apples make them all look bad.

`

Old 12-18-2014, 12:08 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
No, I mean he was Native American. I don't really disagree with your tirade, just pointing out that fact.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Well first of all, I do not play PC games with terms like hyphenated-American. So I assume you mean he was an American Indian. Some might just call him red, as in black, white, brown, etc.
Second, I am a native American in the sense I was born here. As far as I am concerned anyone born in this country is a native of America.
Third, what difference does his ethnic group have to do with anything related to why he was killed. Answer,,,nothing.

My whole issue and involvement with this thread is to point out that these high profile killings of unarmed people are not race related. Not one scintilla of evidence has been provided to prove such a claim, other than the way liberals and the race merchants attempt to frame it that way. Their only "evidence" is supposedly that unarmed whites do not get killed. In reality unarmed whites get killed as well. While I do not know of any stats to back it up, I suspect more unarmed whites are killed by LEO's than blacks, since they represent a greater population. Granted blacks commit more crime per capita, but still plenty of whites commit crimes and have encounters with police.

Innocent people from all races have been tragically killed by LEO's. Some you understand under the circumstances, but others make no sense, especially when something other than lethal force could have been used.
I am very pro law enforcement, as I have several in my family and was raised to respect the badge. However that does not mean I support police brutality or excessive force. Good police officers don't support it either, as the few bad apples make them all look bad.
Good post but I can't rep you again, yet.
I too am a native American, but I am not an American Indian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, I mean he was Native American. I don't really disagree with your tirade, just pointing out that fact.
What "fact"?
He was of the Nitinaht Tribe (or, Nitinaht member of the Nuu-chah-nulth First Nations, or, Seventh generation Nitinaht carver of the Nuu-chah-nulth First Nations).

OT.
As far as the Native American vs. American Indian, I was born and raised around members of different tribes of the Sioux Nation (though quite a few did not like the name Sioux). If/when it was ever brought up, it was usually mentioned that if referring to someone -in general- of a certain tribe then to refer to the tribal name. If the tribal name was not known then refer to them as American Indian, or, in a pinch just refer to them as Indian.

I think Russell Means said it best in his short essay titled - I Am An American Indian, Not A Native American! The following is a snippet from that essay...
Quote:
At an international conference of Indians from the Americas held in Geneva, Switzerland at the United Nations in 1977 we unanimously decided we would go under the term American Indian. We were enslaved as American Indians, we were colonized as American Indians and we will gain our freedom as American Indians and then we will call ourselves any damn thing we choose.
I Am An American Indian, Not A Native American!

Last edited by berdee; 12-18-2014 at 04:34 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 04:58 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
How many people here have been involved in a lethal force situation?

Those seconds feel like hours of incredible stress.
It's stressful enough when it is just a drill, when you have the pride of your organization on your shoulders, when you don't want to be known as useless in a gun fight, or even worse, someone who shot their own man.

Long story short in one case, during a combined ship's fire party/security force drill on ship, I was the guard at the repair locker. There were rapidly approaching foot falls, someone yelling "messenger", and me with the gun wondering if it really was a messenger or someone coming to throw a grenade into the locker. What convinced me (before I knew for certain) that it really was the former, I don't recall. But had I "shot" the messenger, that would have been the end of my rep on that ship and if I "failed", well, with my low rep, that probably wouldn't have gone over well either.

So add to the stress just a great bit more by it being real.........

As it is, that drill was somewhere around a quarter of a century ago and while the stress is nothing like it was then, I still remember it, remember the situation.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:32 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Tamir Rice, no, that was indeed RACE-BASED. No way would that cop would have shot a 12 year old white kid within two seconds of driving up on him. Sorry.
I completely disagree. That cop would have shot no matter if the kid had been green purple or white. He was told there was a gun, that he was scaring people, and he was out to remove the "danger". Cop was totally wrong of course, but there was nothing, NOTHING, race-based about this incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events