Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 06:35 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

This is one of the reasons why I prefer cats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So the pregnant woman who was mauled to death in San Francisco was poor white trash? Strange as the houses in the area are well over a million dollars. Not exactly the trailer park.

And didn't you just contradict yourself with lab/retriever comment.

Gee, how did others and I know it was going to be a pit bull?
No, but pit bulls are kindof like old Monte Carlos or retired police cars in the demographic that is mostly responsible for issues. It isn't always the case, but more often than not, it is.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This sounds like a dog who needed one of those pet psychologists. Those are supposed to work pretty well. I wonder if they'd even accept an aggressive pit bull as a patient, though. Ideally, abused dogs should get help.
Ideally, sure, but I'm not going to dump that kind of money into it. I told my father that in two weeks I was going to handle the situation if the dog was still on his property (his wife would be mad of course, but hey, all her grandkids would still have their faces....) anyway, he had it put down before I came back. Animals are animals. $10 - 20k or whatever for someone to spend months psychoanalyzing it? No.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
If the dog killed a baby how much discussion could there have been??
People are stupid. Nuff said.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was talking about the dog JWG posted about. It sounds like he was sent to a kennel, and came back with a radically changed personality. Intervention/treatment at that stage might have solved the problem.
It was sent off to be trained to be fearful and mean as a puppy by the thugs that owned it. They then kept it for a year or two before they were kicked out for not paying their house note and my father bought their house to keep animals like them out of his neighborhood. I think the dog was too far gone.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 PM

33 posts, read 31,225 times
rip to the victim.

I love both cats and dogs, but the aesthetics of pit bulls never appealed to me, combined with all the stories over the years of them randomly attacking, regardless of how good their upbringing and treatment by their owner makes me never want to cross their paths.

Unfortunately, the pet shelter nearest to me only has pit bulls available for adopting. Sucks as I'd really love a dog, just not that breed.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:07 PM

33 posts, read 31,225 times
Something isn't right. Why is this woman so chipper for someone who just lost her husband? Hmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLRmzX4acQU

Old 12-29-2014, 12:18 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
My daughter and her husband had 2 pit bulls. A friend of my SIL died, and his mom said that he would have wanted my SIL to have them, so he took them. They were both pretty young. They had a son who will be 3 next March, and I begged them to give the dogs away, but they wouldn't do it. One of them died of old age a year ago, (they have had them for a long time) so they just have the one now. He's just as sweet as can be, but aren't most of them, until they turn on you? Every time I read one of these stories, I start in on them again. I know they get tired of me bringing it up, and he has never even had an aggressive stance, but, the situation makes me a nervous wreck!

Old 12-29-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
My daughter and her husband had 2 pit bulls. A friend of my SIL died, and his mom said that he would have wanted my SIL to have them, so he took them. They were both pretty young. They had a son who will be 3 next March, and I begged them to give the dogs away, but they wouldn't do it. One of them died of old age a year ago, (they have had them for a long time) so they just have the one now. He's just as sweet as can be, but aren't most of them, until they turn on you? Every time I read one of these stories, I start in on them again. I know they get tired of me bringing it up, and he has never even had an aggressive stance, but, the situation makes me a nervous wreck!
You've informed them. Move on. It's hard to understand, but most people don't care about their wellbeing in a functional sense, just ideologically ("I don't want to hurt." I want to live a long time." Etc.). They have no intentions of doing things to support these notions. Just let them alone and you will get along better for it.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:16 AM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One thing the article says is . . .

"The couple has had their dogs since they were puppies . . . . The police report also noted that “Fat Boy” [the dog who mauled the man] has always been aggressive and bit Cahill and his girlfriend’s son in the past."

So, they knew it was vicious, but kept it anyway, and one of them eventually paid for that mistake with their life.

A car is recognized as a weapon when intentionally used to cause harm,
and the driver is charged & sentenced accordingly

A dog trained to cause harm, and told to do so, should be viewed as no less than a weapon,
and the person using such a dog to attack others should be sentenced accordingly.

When a vehicle is driven recklessly & either endangers or takes life,
the driver goes to jail for reckless endangerment, or, unintentional manslaughter, etc.

When a known to be vicious dog is kept, and it winds up maiming or killing someone,
should not the owners/handlers likewise be held responsible for the injury &/or loss of life?

In this case both owners knew the dog was vicious, yet chose to keep it around.
That's called, 'just asking for trouble'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events