Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 03:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You're just completely lying here. Either that, or you must be incredibly ignorant and isolated from society at large. And your comments sound like some old hippie or something- yeah, man Wall Street "robbed" the Middle Class, uh, because some dude on the street told me so!

There are no major protests in the black community for black-on-black crime. Please show us where blacks respond to the thousands of dead blacks every year in a manner equivalent to Ferguson. You can't because most people don't care. There are no U.S. cities being burned down like Ferguson because blacks are angry about black-on-black crime.

And the rest of your comments are idiocy too. There is no epidemic of "white on white" shootings. Gun violence between non-blacks is like 5% that of blacks. There are TONS of protests against school shootings (which aren't race-based) and TONS of protests against Wall Street (have you been living in a cave over the past few years, have you never heard of the Occupy movement??)
What happened to the Occupy movement? Is it still going on?

Old 03-07-2015, 03:54 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
A better question would be why your not out protesting??
Because protest is the wrong route to a solution.

Quote:
And for the record there have been Latinos out protesting. Every race has been present.
The only prominent one has been Elizabeth Vega, a trust funder rdd generation Latina who dares to call herself Chicana when she comes from the very epitome of wealthy and privilege. (Which would be why she routinely talks about "Chicano privilege" with no understanding of what it means to be Chicano, nor that her privilege stems from her social standing, not her ethnicity.)

Quote:
The only reason you only hear 1 message (from BlackLivesMatter) is because George Soros has been funding them and they're using all of the high level media contacts to push their message. They're a front group. They didn't start a damn thing.
Exactly. OBS, MORE, Hands Up United are rolling in cash and hiring people, and I cannot even find $200k in matching funds for a grant we already won to reform the access interface for the entire St Louis County courts system. Those three orgs have millions in Soros funds between them, all very squarely focused on pro-Democratic Party get out the vote campaigns (even though every failed leader involved in this except Mayor Knowles has been a Democrat, and I say this as someone who has voted Democrat all my life until now). We are working on a tangible product to meet a community demand, and nothing.

Quote:
A better question would be why are some still not looking towards a solution or recognizing that this is a legit concern. Again, every case should be judged independently, but the fact is that there are too many people being killed by Police and people want thorough investigations, answers, and accountability when there's fault.

For too long in this country there's been zero Police accountability.
Personally, I strongly believe the focus on the police is wrong. In other words, I do not just fail to recognize this as a legit concern, but strongly believe it is not a legitimate concern. The problem is how we deal with courts, poverty in the courts, and the justice system in general. Police killings are a symptom of this; and kill a fraction of the people of other injustices in the court system. Change the courts and justice system and the police will automatically change with it. The police now are dramatically better than police in the 50s, 60s, or 70s, and none of that came about from reforms targeting police.

Meanwhile, in the era since we passed the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, the most sweeping law targeting police reform in our history, police departments have grown steadily worse in every objective measure even as the DoJ has stepped up enforcement against them. But accountability for those above the police departments, the courts and politicians who give them their orders and dictate their policies, has grown far worse in the last 20 years. The DoJ's Community Oriented Policing Services has given them the cover to expand their power and avoid any real accountability for the policies they put in place that jeopardize anyone below the poverty line.

We will come out of this with all sorts of independent investigators and expanded laws on police use of force. Police officers will lose their jobs, go to jail, and be killed in growing numbers, especially poorly paid police officers in high poverty cities. But people will continue to be killed by police, to be victimized by police, and to distrust police more than ever because those laws will be solving the wrong problem.

Last edited by marigolds6; 03-07-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 03:58 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
When you call the police, they don't do much of anything anyway. Most of the time they just seem annoyed that they were called out to do their jobs. That's not entirely their fault, most of the time there is nothing they can do. Where it gets weird is when they try to get you to pretend nothing happened so they don't have to file paperwork, like they did in SF when my apartment got burglarized.
Fine. You're another one who should never call 911. Just call the ACLU instead. See how fast they come to your aid. Problem solved.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:13 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Can't think of a single cop being sacrificed. Can you give us an example??
Almost all of the cops recently have been cleared.
You are not paying attention. About 40 cops in the St Louis area have been terminated or are facing termination over issues related to police shootings since August (the Terrell Beasley shooting alone will take down over 20 officers). I think many of these officers had it coming, but they are taking the fall for politicians who are the ones who truly failed, and none of whom will lose their jobs.

Many more than that have simply quit their jobs and left the area because of specific death threats against their families (and the DoJ has ordered their departments to do nothing to investigate those threats, much less defend anyone against them). I am not even an officer, and some idiot has been threatening to rape my wife. As we hit tax season, about 1:3 civilian employees in local departments and even more police officers are finding out that they have had their identities stolen and tax returns filed in their names. And the DoJ has already made it clear that these will not be investigated either.

And then there is Bryan Willman. An astounding number of people still believe he was the real shooter. He had to leave the state and change his identity. He lost his job, his house, and even his name.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Because protest is the wrong route to a solution.

I believe it is the 1st step. And sometimes is effective alone in reform. I have not protested physically, but have been working on finding solutions.

The only prominent one has been Elizabeth Vega, a trust funder rdd generation Latina who dares to call herself Chicana when she comes from the very epitome of wealthy and privilege. (Which would be why she routinely talks about "Chicano privilege" with no understanding of what it means to be Chicano, nor that her privilege stems from her social standing, not her ethnicity.)

There's been a lot of solidarity with Latino groups. In The Movement I'm part of there's definitely Latino supporters. We're probably the most diverse group.

Exactly. OBS, MORE, Hands Up United are rolling in cash and hiring people, and I cannot even find $200k in matching funds for a grant we already won to reform the access interface for the entire St Louis County courts system. Those three orgs have millions in Soros funds between them, all very squarely focused on pro-Democratic Party get out the vote campaigns (even though every failed leader involved in this except Mayor Knowles has been a Democrat, and I say this as someone who has voted Democrat all my life until now). We are working on a tangible product to meet a community demand, and nothing.

It's pretty ugly. Add BlackLivesMatter to that list.

I actually think you'd like our group and some of the things I do.

Personally, I strongly believe the focus on the police is wrong. In other words, I do not just fail to recognize this as a legit concern, but strongly believe it is not a legitimate concern. The problem is how we deal with courts, poverty in the courts, and the justice system in general. Police killings are a symptom of this; and kill a fraction of the people of other injustices in the court system. Change the courts and justice system and the police will automatically change with it. The police now are dramatically better than police in the 50s, 60s, or 70s, and none of that came about from reforms targeting police.

I believe its a little of both. For example, we could have all the right laws on the books and if an officer decides to go AWOL, he just goes AWOL. There's always a human element and I believe we need to find officers who fit a certain personality profile. Someone with the right temperment.

I agree that more pressure needs to be put on representatives. But that's a much more difficult battle. It's being handled as well though.

Meanwhile, in the era since we passed the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, the most sweeping law targeting police reform in our history, police departments have grown steadily worse in every objective measure even as the DoJ has stepped up enforcement against them. But accountability for those above the police departments, the courts and politicians who give them their orders and dictate their policies, has grown far worse in the last 20 years. The DoJ's Community Oriented Policing Services has given them the cover to expand their power and avoid any real accountability for the policies they put in place that jeopardize anyone below the poverty line.

We will come out of this with all sorts of independent investigators and expanded laws on police use of force. Police officers will lose their jobs, go to jail, and be killed in growing numbers, especially poorly paid police officers in high poverty cities. But people will continue to be killed by police, to be victimized by police, and to distrust police more than ever because those laws will be solving the wrong problem.

I disagree. Especially when certain laws are changed. Police murders are on the decline and at some of their lowest levels. There's progress being made.

Ending the Drug War and Legalization will be the 2 biggest things to reducing crime in this country.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically we have seen two police shooting with protest ;looting and arson. Two investigations and both where justified. Yet we have seen no arrest of those involved in criminal protest. Seems kind of odd justice to me and even now they want to act as if the police were not cleared. Nothing more than lynch mob just like past such things. The justice investigation says there were racial post by cops after the Ferguson incident. What about the march with clear voices calling for killing cops and the burning and looting. If I were a cop in NY or Ferguson I'd be out of there as they are being targeted for hate crimes. The chant in New York could clearly be heard ;what do we want; kill cops; when do we want it; Now. Then two were murdered in their cars as they were parked. Communities not worth serving with leadership who do not support police even when cleared.Clearly listening to our president he only made things worse and certainly isn't interested in the crimes we all saw happening live on TV.

Last edited by texdav; 03-07-2015 at 11:33 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 12:18 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Anyone here seen the movie Nightcrawler? I feel like Jake Gyllenhaal's character is a perfect representation of the media.
Blood is money. If there's no story, make the story.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:10 AM

922 posts, read 806,421 times
Again? I honestly sense a conspiracy. The media is using this as a distraction.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:43 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times
Is this the case involving the piece of human feces who was convicted of armed robbery last year and got a slap on the wrist for it? He apparently assaulted a victim and stuck the pursuing officer this time.

I would like to personally thank the officer for taking out this this 19 year old career criminal who did not learn his lesson when he was given a chance he did not deserve. Now he will never have a chance to point a gun or strike anyone else, which is a good thing to anyone with half a brain.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:18 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
When people stop siring bastard babies and then failing to raise them with enough sense not to be thugs that start fights with the police.

It's not the fault of the police.
AMEN!!!!

So true.

CNN's Don Lemon says that 72% of black babies are born to unwed mothers. That's messed up. The men producing these children are not "fathers" in any sense of the word. They're men having sex witout any regard for the consequences.

Last edited by RosemaryT; 03-08-2015 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events