Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:26 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times

Advertisements

I wondered if she had ever knowingly provided flower arrangement for divorcees who were remarrying.

Because the Bible is quite unequivocal that divorcees are sinners and will be in damnation for eternity. If she routinely refused for work with divorcees I can sort of take her religious-faith argument. But if she has no qualms working with those sinners then her whole argument breaks down.

Btw, there really is no clear cut language against homosexuality in the Bible. But there definitely is clear cut damnation against divorcees. So if there is one group that a religious florists would refuse to work with, it's that group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 12:32 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
It was $ 1,001. But to pay is akin to an admission of wrong doing. But, I guess religous freedom needs to give way to sexual preference.
The original fine was 2K, but her consternation brought it down to $1K , so I guess it paid off. She's pressing her luck, now, though. Like most of these religious types, she's really selectively reading the scriptures. There's nothing in the bible that says a flower shop shouldn't serve a gay person, but there is Matthew 22:15-22...

Old 03-28-2015, 12:37 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Welcome to the new America where you either tow the homosexual line or you go to jail.
That's "toe," not "tow," and all she's being asked to do is conduct her business. No line is involved. Just flowers.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You can't be serious. According to your ridiculous argument, she could refuse to service interracial couples if she started her business in 1953, because in 1953, racial segregation was still legal. Legal does not always equal ethical. And this other ridiculous idea that some silent invisible God thinks it's OK to judge others and hate them just because they aren't like the so called believer has convinced me more than ever that religion has no place in my life.
I dont care if you are religious or not. That's the great thing about freedom of choice!

Again, you cant see people are gay by simply looking at them. Lots of same sex people hug and kiss in public - does that mean all that do are gay??

If it does, I guess I need to change the way I greet same sex friends. *shrugs*

Fine, have fun paying the taxes to support this old lady, after a couple who really were not damaged by her refusal takes everything she owns. Have fun paying taxes to support the many more that will follow.

I thought gay marriage was a good thing, but I didnt foresee the selfish and hateful backlash that would follow.

One thing I do know - laws can be reversed. If we can have a Patriot Act, which is akin to Jim Crow Revisited, where people can be arrested on the basis of what they might do, then a reversal of public opinion on this new-found law is not out of the question either.

I would suggest being careful about making people regret their open-heartedness in this issue. But...be as evil as you got to be toward others.

Either way, it wont be my fault.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
To my knowledge a private business has the right to refuse service to anyone they chose too.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
If it does, I guess I need to change the way I greet same sex friends.
Have you shown your posts in this thread to your same sex "friends"?

Quote:
I thought gay marriage was a good thing, but I didnt foresee the selfish and hateful backlash that would follow.
It is a good thing, but you're right. I could not have foreseen the number of people using businesses to support the bigoted nature that truly resides in their hearts. It would never have occurred to me.

Quote:
I would suggest being careful about making people regret their open-heartedness in this issue.
We are not talking about open-heartedness here. Rather, it is the opposite this florist visits upon us: "Ewww...they're gaaaay...no flowers for them."

Old 03-28-2015, 12:54 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
To my knowledge a private business has the right to refuse service to anyone they chose too.
Not the case. If it was, there would still be "No blacks allowed" signs up in the south.

"State and federal civil rights laws prohibit employment discrimination and discrimination in places of public accommodation for reasons of race, color, national origin/ancestry, sex/gender, religion/creed and disability (physical and mental)."

Old 03-28-2015, 12:58 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I wondered if she had ever knowingly provided flower arrangement for divorcees who were remarrying.

Because the Bible is quite unequivocal that divorcees are sinners and will be in damnation for eternity. If she routinely refused for work with divorcees I can sort of take her religious-faith argument. But if she has no qualms working with those sinners then her whole argument breaks down.

Btw, there really is no clear cut language against homosexuality in the Bible. But there definitely is clear cut damnation against divorcees. So if there is one group that a religious florists would refuse to work with, it's that group.
You act like a Biblical scholar. Where in the New Testament is all of this damnation for divorced folk?

Old 03-28-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I dont know if that's true, but, its a good question.

We have the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, but the laws regarding it only applies to large employers.

Can a large chain like Denny's discriminate? We know they cant.

Can a one-woman show draw a line in the sand at gay marriage due to her religious beliefs? I dont know. *shrugs*

Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
We are not talking about open-heartedness here. Rather, it is the opposite this florist visits upon us: "Ewww...they're gaaaay...no flowers for them."
She knew one of them personally, and sold "ew...him" as you call him, flowers. Her religious convictions and their gayness clashed when it came to marriage.

How about, "QQ...she wont sell me wedding floral arrangements, and even though we got them free from one of the hundreds of other florists in the area, we feel very damaged...boo hoo, QQ"

Might wanna watch that video, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events