Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 12:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
When a high end, white shirt and tie restaurant refuses to serve a barefooted hippy in swim trunks, is he guilty of discrimination?
Of course not. There are health code laws that cover this (especially the "barefoot" part).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 12:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It all boils down to one simple point: It's the LGBT militants who are always looking to pick the fight, then run fawning and whining to Big Brother in order to get their way.

In a society run by those "principles"??, no one's property, liberty, or life itself is safe -- if they offend the Powers that Be, who have determined their behavior to be Politically Incorrect.

What part of this can't anyone understand?
Yeah, all those homosexuals need to stop with their fight picking. Going into a shop and being like, "Here's my money, I would like to buy the product you are selling at the price you have it listed for". I hate that, it is so rude. Why can't they just sit at home by their stupid sinner selves and think about how they are evil and depraved individuals. They always have to go out into public and try to be treated like human beings. Don't they know that they aren't equal?

/Sarcasm-off. /Fake-High-Schooler-obnoxious-voice-off. Seriously, how do we get people who manage to hold these absurd thoughts in their heads?

Old 03-29-2015, 01:01 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Anyone here remember the "Reverend" Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church? You know, the same people who had such a hang-up about gays in the military, that they had to intrude upon private grief and disrupt the solemnity of military burials with their "God hates ****" drivel?

It would appear to me that the most outspoken among the LGBT militants have chosen to inject their issue into what is, for most of us, a very personal and private event via the same "rationale".

Old 03-29-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
It would appear to me that the most outspoken among the LGBT militants have chosen to inject their issue into what is, for most of us, a very personal and private event.
How is the wedding of even "the most outspoken" gay or lesbian couple a "very personal and private event" for you?

Old 03-29-2015, 01:15 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
How is the wedding of even "the most outspoken" gay or lesbian couple a "very personal and private event" for you?
When you seek access to the power of the state in order to impose your beliefs upon a small businessman / woman in connection with one specific, and private, event (and for which you have any number of options and alternatives), you are sinking to the same tactics as those used by Phelps and his cronies to impose theirs.

What's fair for one side of the argument is fair for the opposition, (but not in the minds of LGBT militants and other components of the Politically Correct) -- to them, the end justifies the means, and some causes and belief systems are more important than others.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-29-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-29-2015, 01:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Yeah, all those homosexuals need to stop with their fight picking. Going into a shop and being like, "Here's my money, I would like to buy the product you are selling at the price you have it listed for". I hate that, it is so rude. Why can't they just sit at home by their stupid sinner selves and think about how they are evil and depraved individuals. They always have to go out into public and try to be treated like human beings. Don't they know that they aren't equal?

/Sarcasm-off. /Fake-High-Schooler-obnoxious-voice-off. Seriously, how do we get people who manage to hold these absurd thoughts in their heads?
Apparently you (and many others) are not capable of understanding what the rest of us are saying, which is proof that we value our freedoms much more than you. There are too many people willing to give those personal freedoms to the government. Some day you'll only be free enough to examine the government-issued shackles on your wrists and ankles. Don't blame us. We tried to warn you.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
See page 61 of the OPs other thread on this topic. Contracts. Zelva is brilliant!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...owers-gay.html

Both threads posted by DeenThomas.

If this florist writes out anything in regard to wedding arrangements, the laws appear to be different.

Otherwise, black performing artists should also face discrimination charges if they refuse to perform for a group/or one of its members, like the KKK - which wouldnt even be based on something constitutional like freedom of religion, but just pure common sense.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:21 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sorry I too believe religion cannot be used as an excuse to discriminate. What if she refused to supply flowers for a Jewish wedding next, would that be okay, too?

I work in a Catholic Diocese owned and run nursing home, and before this I worked in a United Methodist Home. Both places welcome Jews, Jehovah's Witness, Muslims, Aethiests, unmarried mothers, and yes, even gay people. Religious belief has nothing to do with basic human decency and following the laws of your country and state.

Would you be okay, OP,with an ER doctor refusing to save the life of a Jew or gay man because of his religious beliefs? If not, why should it not be okay for one profession but not another? Can you see the slippery slope that would be created it we start going down this road?
We already are going down this road.

According to the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act, if a person has a sincere religious believe they can discriminate unless the government can prove a compelling state interest.

We have pharmacists who refuse to dispense contraception because of their religious believes.

We have corporations like Hobby Lobby who refuse to provide birth control coverage in their health insurance plan due to the religious believes of the owners.

And so on.

If my sincere religious belief is that certain people (Baptists, for example) are an abomination in the eyes of the Lord, I can refuse to serve them in my restaurant, bakery, etc.

If my sincere religious believe is that sickness is an illusion that can be corrected by prayer (Christian Scientists and Jehovah's Witnesses, for example) then presumably my company's health insurance plan would only need to cover prayer circles.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We already are going down this road.

According to the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act, if a person has a sincere religious believe they can discriminate unless the government can prove a compelling state interest.

We have pharmacists who refuse to dispense contraception because of their religious believes.

We have corporations like Hobby Lobby who refuse to provide birth control coverage in their health insurance plan due to the religious believes of the owners.

And so on.

If my sincere religious belief is that certain people (Baptists, for example) are an abomination in the eyes of the Lord, I can refuse to serve them in my restaurant, bakery, etc.

If my sincere religious believe is that sickness is an illusion that can be corrected by prayer (Christian Scientists and Jehovah's Witnesses, for example) then presumably my company's health insurance plan would only need to cover prayer circles.
I dont think thats true, how would you know unless they had BAPTIST tattooed on their forehead or something, lol. Or, they said, "Hi, Im Coney. Im a Baptist. Do you have an issue serving me a stack of flapjacks this morning?"

But there are health plans that refuse to cover contraception and abortion based on religious affiliation of the people providing the plan - not the employer, but the plan itself.

Thanks to Obamacare, if you buy your coverage, then you have the choice of which plan to buy. Likewise, a lot of large company's that provide coverage offer a choice of plans. The plans offered by my employer have always provided coverage for domestic partners.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
When you seek access to the power of the state in order to impose your beliefs upon a small businessman / woman in connection with one specific, and private, event (and for which you have any number of options and alternatives), you are sinking to the same tactics as those used by Phelps and his cronies to impose theirs.
But the flower lady is the one "impos(ing her) beliefs...in connection with one specific, private event."

Just sell them the flowers, flower lady. You're a flower lady, for God's sake. The bride/bride or groom/groom just want to buy some flowers. Hence, they went to a flower lady, not knowing she was a Flower Lady for Jesus and His Ilk Only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events