Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
To my knowledge a private business has the right to refuse service to anyone they chose too.
Then I guess your knowledge doesn't include the Civil Rights Act - which has only been around now for over half a century.

And, no, private businesses have no such right. There are myriad laws at the federal, not to mention state and local, level which enact all sorts of restrictions on reasons for terminating employment.

This is hardly new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 01:50 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Gay marriage being legal is new??? Gay marriage was totally illegal 40 years ago when she started her business - and, for most of the time her business existed.

I do not really go into legal or illegal aspect of it - I simply do not give a $hit about religious fanatic. religious stuff is good if it brings a family together and such but I will not serve this person because it goes against my religion and I will not tough as it goes against my religion is BS- If a powerful vacuum cleaner can suck them up from this earth and leave them on Mars - earth would become a better place

Old 03-28-2015, 04:28 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
I think everybody remember the situation with "florist who refused to provide flowers for gay wedding rejects offer to settle discrimination case" (I wrote about that https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...l#post38589145)
And now, the scandal begins...
1st shoe drops for Washington florist under fire for faith
The first shoe dropped Friday for Washington state florist Barronelle Stutzman, who has been convicted by the state in a case brought by the ACLU of discrimination for operating her business according to her Christian faith.
Now, she should pay big money, really big money for crime she didn't commit, what do you think guys?
Why our judicial system agree with this lawlessness?
If a business owner doesn't want to do business with a particular class of individual (completely stupid IMO) it should be respected however, they should also accept the responsibility of the high probability of word being spread via social media and their business tanking.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:50 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
People support sin all the time. Fornication is running rampant and I don't see this being discussed by Christians. Most of them engage in it.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:07 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I've always wondered why this woman never just told the couple she was too busy and couldn't take on their event.

If she openly told them the reason she didn't want to do their wedding was due to her religious beliefs, then I am sorry, but she is a fool.

I wonder if her religion is comforting her now that she has to deal with all these shenanigans.... I doubt it.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:32 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I've always wondered why this woman never just told the couple she was too busy and couldn't take on their event.

If she openly told them the reason she didn't want to do their wedding was due to her religious beliefs, then I am sorry, but she is a fool.

I wonder if her religion is comforting her now that she has to deal with all these shenanigans.... I doubt it.
Very true, Kitten. It would have been pretty easy for her to disguise her homophobia under the oh-so-useful "I'm too busy" excuse. Maybe SHE has an agenda. What's that adage? Even bad publicity is good publicity

Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
The first shoe dropped the moment she chose to engage in illegal discrimination. The other shoe went down when she attempted to defend her bigotry by appealing to the concept of religious freedom.

If her biases are so powerful that she's willing to bankrupt herself in their pursuit, then I hope she enjoys her martyrdom.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:44 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Gay marriage being legal is new??? Gay marriage was totally illegal 40 years ago when she started her business - and, for most of the time her business existed.

Her business should be grandfathered in, as it were. There are hundreds of florists in the area, and the sueing couple recieved their floral arrangements for free (if I understood the video correctly), so I dont see how a reasonable court could honor their law-suit. Where are their damages??

How much more selfish, hateful and stupid can people be??

Should we reward this gay couple in their effort to make an old lady homeless?? I hope the taxpayers of Washington state dont mind supporting her for the rest of her life, as well as all the others that think like her. She doesnt hate gay people - but draws the line at marriage.

I guess there are a lot of young folks that dont know, or dont remember the violence that went along with bringing their lifestyle out of the closet.
You raise a very good point for those who say if you can't serve gay marriage couples do not open a flower business, there was no gay marriage when she opened her business. This is a totally new legal issue.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:58 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Quote:

Her business should be grandfathered in, as it were. There are hundreds of florists in the area, and the sueing couple recieved their floral arrangements for free (if I understood the video correctly), so I dont see how a reasonable court could honor their law-suit. Where are their damages??

How much more selfish, hateful and stupid can people be??

Should we reward this gay couple in their effort to make an old lady homeless?? I hope the taxpayers of Washington state dont mind supporting her for the rest of her life, as well as all the others that think like her. She doesnt hate gay people - but draws the line at marriage.

I guess there are a lot of young folks that dont know, or dont remember the violence that went along with bringing their lifestyle out of the closet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoMvd4qa4ZM#t=15
Perhaps we could have "grandfathered in" the Southern plantation owners who held slaves, or the employers who were already discriminating against women in the work place.

If people wish to maintain their bigotry on a personal level, that's their business. However, allowing them to maintain that status quo in the public sector, defeats the very purpose of anti-discrimination laws.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
It was $ 1,001. But to pay is akin to an admission of wrong doing. But, I guess religous freedom needs to give way to sexual preference.
No, discrimination is illegal.

She made a choice to break the law. She choose to break the law.

Is really is simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events