Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
To my knowledge a private business has the right to refuse service to anyone they chose too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Then I guess your knowledge doesn't include the Civil Rights Act - which has only been around now for over half a century.

And, no, private businesses have no such right. There are myriad laws at the federal, not to mention state and local, level which enact all sorts of restrictions on reasons for terminating employment.

This is hardly new.
As Unsettomati rightly points out, your "knowledge" is faulty. A business cannot choose to discriminate against an entire class of people. It is the law in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
No, discrimination is illegal.

She made a choice to break the law. She choose to break the law.

Is really is simple.
Then name a mainstream religion that doesnt discriminate.

Will we be burning the Torah, Talmud, New Testament, Quran and any other book that doesnt say nice things about a particular lifestyle?

Will we lower ourselves to the level of the Taliban, and destroy all places of worship because they have and always will stand in opposition to gay marriage?

Do you not see how dangerous of a position this could be for any group to take?

"According to the Williams Institute review conducted in April 2011, approximately 3.8 % of American adults identify themselves being in the LGBT community; wherein, (1.7%) identify as lesbian or gay, (1.8%) bisexual, and (0.3%) transgender, which corresponds to approximately 9 million adult Americans as of the 2010 Census. However, a measurable higher percentage acknowledge having same-sex attraction, or experience, without identifying as LGBT.

This makes it difficult to accurately record the demographics of LGBT community in the United States. Studies from various nations, however, including the U.S., covering varying time periods and age groupings, have produced a consistent statistical range of 1.2–5.6% of the adult population."

The LGBT community has always wanted tolerance and acceptance, but when given it - they respond with of a lack of the same?

Yes, LGBT is a minority that the law has always protected when it comes to preventing harm.

The question is now, does it have the numbers to assure itself that it can protect itself from the bad 'karma' it now endeavors to create by making sure this new law will never be reversed?

Seems to me all it would take is a new president to come along - IF freedom of religion, which has always been a part of our history, does not outweigh freedom of a sexual preference.

Yep, I guess you are right. That does seem really simple, lol.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 03-28-2015 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Then name a mainstream religion that doesnt discriminate.

Will we be burning the Torah, Talmud, New Testament, Quran and any other book that doesnt say nice things about a particular lifestyle?

Will we lower ourselves to the level of the Taliban, and destroy all places of worship because they have and always will stand in opposition to gay marriage?

Do you not see how dangerous of a position this could be for any group to take?

"According to the Williams Institute review conducted in April 2011, approximately 3.8 % of American adults identify themselves being in the LGBT community; wherein, (1.7%) identify as lesbian or gay, (1.8%) bisexual, and (0.3%) transgender, which corresponds to approximately 9 million adult Americans as of the 2010 Census. However, a measurable higher percentage acknowledge having same-sex attraction, or experience, without identifying as LGBT.

This makes it difficult to accurately record the demographics of LGBT community in the United States. Studies from various nations, however, including the U.S., covering varying time periods and age groupings, have produced a consistent statistical range of 1.2–5.6% of the adult population."

The LGBT community has always wanted tolerance and acceptance, but when given it - they respond with of a lack of the same?

Yes, LGBT is a minority that the law has always protected when it comes to preventing harm.

The question is now, does it have the numbers to assure itself that it can protect itself from the bad 'karma' it now endeavors to create by making sure this new law will never be reversed?

Seems to me all it would take is a new president to come along - IF freedom of religion, which has always been a part of our history, does not outweigh freedom of a sexual preference.

Yep, I guess you are right. That does seem really simple, lol.
None of that matters.

This is basic federal Civil Rights law. She chose to break the law.

Her beliefs do not matter - her actions do.

Simple enough.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
There is some confusion here - - -
<>The government and those it grants permission (license) to cannot discriminate pursuant to law.

<> Private people and private enterprises can discriminate any way they wish.

Perhaps one might inquire why private businesses must get government permission (license) to operate?

Old 03-28-2015, 09:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
None of that matters.

This is basic federal Civil Rights law. She chose to break the law.

Her beliefs do not matter - her actions do.

Simple enough.
How does it not matter, lol? Please explain your reasoning - if you have any. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:05 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Welcome to the new America where you either tow the homosexual line or you go to jail.
Maybe this is all really a matter of reading comprehension. Maybe those whose understanding of figures of speech regarding putting one's toes on a designated line rather than dragging a rope somewhere should not be trusted to interpret the archaic phrasing in scripture they purport to live by.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:10 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
To my knowledge a private business has the right to refuse service to anyone they chose too.
Your knowledge is incorrect.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:31 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Exclamation *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe
No scandal & your facts are wrong, she did break the law.... end of story. If she wants to run a private club just for her approved clients she should start one, otherwise she is guilty of discrimination.
Well ANY OPEN BUSINESS can refuse to sell to ANYONE and no one can say anything of it........ (IT IS THIER BUSINESS)

But in cases like this IT DOES SEEM LIKE DISCRIMINATION and they really should avoid doing it!!

Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
I personally don't care what two consenting people do in the privacy of their bedroom. It is NOT for ME to judge.

BUT: Any business open to the PUBLIC, needs to serve the PUBLIC in its business district.

If you allow ANY public business to discriminate for ANY reason, there is no end to what/where/how you can or cannot buy goods and services.

Suppose WalMart decided to no longer serve the poor? Or to no longer serve divorced persons, even if remarried? Or refused to serve straight people? OR women? Or blacks? or hispanics? Or congressmen? ?

Pretty soon, when you need gas you will be driving all around the city looking for a gas station that WILL serve you based on any number of criterion {dictionary definition: something that is used as a reason for making a judgment or decision}.

Same with medical care, many are religious based, suppose you had to "find a hospital" that would treat your heart attack/stroke based on those same "any number of criterion"?? Good thing the Federal Gov't has issued an edict that hospitals MUST treat or stablize you {for another better-equiped hospital} WITHOUT discrimination...even if you CANNOT PAY. Imagine if you don't have insurance or don't have adequate insurance and no money, and they let your die out on the street....

We take HUGE STEP BACKWARD if we allow it to continue. Back to when blacks had no rights. Back to when women had no rights, back to slavery-as many businesses operated "just fine" with slaves as their source of man-power. Back to when races could not intermingle. When classes could not mingle. When the wealthy land owners controlled everything. Back to when Kings rulled, and subjects had no say. Gee, I don't like the color of your hair, so I won't serve you because it's not your natural color!

ANy time I hear of a person discriminating against gays and lesbians , I always hope the aren't black and a woman! AS merely about 100 years ago neither had rights at all! Lucky for women, men voted to give them rights, lucky for blacks, whites did the same! Hopefully Straights will see fit to give equal rights to gays and Lesbians!

Do we really want to be a regressive society? I don't.

I ALSO find it interesting that as more and more "mainstream religions" "welcome the LGBT society members", other so-called religious persons are shutting the LBGT persons out, and calling it their "religious right"??
Does the Bible not teach "love thy neighbor as yourself"? Did Chirst not say "as you have done to these, the least of my brethren, so you have done unto me?" WHAT IF the gay couple was Christ in disguise??? Did Christ not take to the lepers whom others "boycotted" and banished? ANd you call yourselves "Christians- followers of Christ"???

Indiana's govenor/and his republicans may regret his decision to sign the bill allowing businesses to "follow their religious beliefs" as MAJOR corporations are pulling out/boycotting the state:
"If the idea that all people should be treated with equal dignity and respect is unpersuasive, perhaps the economic impact of a boycott will be.

Governor Pence may have thought putting his signature on the anti-gay law would make him a rising star in the Republican Party. However, if the boycott against his narrow-minded decision continues to gain momentum, it could sink Indiana’s state economy. If that happens, Governor Pence and the Republican-controlled legislature will be held responsible
." {And have huge egg on their faces}
Swift Corporate Backlash Follows Indiana Governor Pence's Decision To Sign Anti-Gay Law

"My religion is better'n your religion, my religion is better'n yours, 'cause my religion allows discrimination, so my religion is better'n yours!"

Yep, "Religious Freedom" could be the ruin of the United States of America if it is allowed to dscriminate against ANY ONE PEOPLE, or against the multitudes.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:31 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
There is some confusion here - - -
<>The government and those it grants permission (license) to cannot discriminate pursuant to law.

<> Private people and private enterprises can discriminate any way they wish.

Perhaps one might inquire why private businesses must get government permission (license) to operate?
That is not true. Private enterprises that are open to the public and sell to the public cannot discriminate against a whole class of people. A restaurant cannot refuse to serve black people, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events