Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 01:53 PM

309 posts, read 258,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Woodrow, you often emphasize the individuality of Muslims (invariably in response to some act of violence on the part of Islam's adherents), but many observers might cite Muslims often acting en masse together.
Re bin Laden's death, you yourself refer to 'many of us' - where you could have used 'many Muslims'.
It seems like wanting to have your cake (when convenient) and eating it too.
As far as I know, Woodrow is an American, who used to be Christian, then atheist, then converted to Islam. So, whenever he is emphasizing any positive values of the latter, I assume it is his Western, post-Enlightenment, humanist mentality speaking, not his Muslim part. If he was a shepherd in Afghanistan, a peasant in Iraq, or an oil dealer in Saudi Arabia, his Islamic values would have been more in line with the terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Although I would attend such as stupid exhibit they have the right to hold it and should continue to do so if they want to.

My position on the religious nuts it that We should not bend at all to the extremists not one inch if they don't like it too bad.

I don't care if they're Muslim, Christian, or Whatever that's besides the point they are extremists period and the US should not bend to avoid offending the scum that they are.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:28 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Although I would attend such as stupid exhibit they have the right to hold it and should continue to do so if they want to.

My position on the religious nuts it that We should not bend at all to the extremists not one inch if they don't like it too bad.

I don't care if they're Muslim, Christian, or Whatever that's besides the point they are extremists period and the US should not bend to avoid offending the scum that they are.
I also support their right to have their exhibit, no matter how much I dislike the content.

But, there has to be a line between expressing one's rights and infringing on those of another. there should also be some level of respect for those around you.

In my opinion the idea of having the contest in a predominately Muslim neighborhood, carries the view, it's purpose was to blatantly insult.

but, I do wish more people would notice. No member of the Garland community took part in any protesting or aggression. iN FACT NOT ONE OF THE 421,972 Muslims living in Texas took part in this atrocity

Old 05-04-2015, 02:29 PM

950 posts, read 923,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
We in the civilized world do not believe mass murdering sociopaths deserve to be treated as though they were legitimate practitioners of a religious faith, deserving in death of a consideration that they showed no one in life.

Bin Laden was lucky he didn't get blown out of a wood chipper over the side of a Navy destroyer to the cheers of all onboard.
you nailed it !

Old 05-04-2015, 02:35 PM

950 posts, read 923,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Before you ask Yes I would be killed by ISIS immediately as would any of the 99% of the world's Muslims that do not follow their brand of Islam.

ISIS is one of they greatest enemies of Islam that has ever been seen.

Yes, they do claim to be Muslim and we do accept them as such. But we do denounce their actions and do see them as our enemy.

As Muslims they will face a higher standard of accountability on Judgement day and will not escape punishment' Unless they repent and make restitution for the harm they have done and sincerly ask Allaah(swt) for forgiveness.

and you would insist they get a proper, Muslim burial ?

Why ?

Old 05-04-2015, 02:38 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
As far as I know, Woodrow is an American, who used to be Christian, then atheist, then converted to Islam. So, whenever he is emphasizing any positive values of the latter, I assume it is his Western, post-Enlightenment, humanist mentality speaking, not his Muslim part. If he was a shepherd in Afghanistan, a peasant in Iraq, or an oil dealer in Saudi Arabia, his Islamic values would have been more in line with the terrorists.
Thanks, I knew he was American. I have never remotely suggested that his values have been 'in line with terrorists' - I was merely commenting on a sort of apparent 'cultural solidarity' (regardless of being against terrorism) which has struck me about Islam.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:40 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
We in the civilized world do not believe mass murdering sociopaths deserve to be treated as though they were legitimate practitioners of a religious faith, deserving in death of a consideration that they showed no one in life.

Bin Laden was lucky he didn't get blown out of a wood chipper over the side of a Navy destroyer to the cheers of all onboard.
Being Muslim does not equate to practicing Islam There are many reasons a Muslim might not practice Islam.
Lack of knowledge
Physical Inability
Being under duress.
Muslims believe that all bodies should be treated with respect and not defiled even the bodies of non-Muslims. If a non-Muslim were to die in an Islamic Nation and had no family the body would be treated with respect and dignity.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:42 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
Quote:
If a non-Muslim were to die in an Islamic Nation and had no family the body would be treated with respect and dignity.
Unless of course they're a foreign soldier, or an embassy employee, or a missionary.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:42 PM

31,016 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
and you would insist they get a proper, Muslim burial ?

Why ?
If Islam is a truly individual thing then why care. I'm sure that with Islam, as with most religions, you may not even practice in the same way that your neighbors do. So practicing the way a Pakistani does may be incomprehensible to many American Muslims.

"Being Muslim does not equate to practicing Islam There are many reasons a Muslim might not practice Islam.
Lack of knowledge
Physical Inability
Being under duress.
Muslims believe that all bodies should be treated with respect and not defiled even the bodies of non-Muslims. If a non-Muslim were to die in an Islamic Nation and had no family the body would be treated with respect and dignity."

Obviously not practiced by Muslims in Somalia and other places where they drag bodies naked through the streets.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-04-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 02:44 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,988 times
Quote:
But, there has to be a line between expressing one's rights and infringing on those of another. there should also be some level of respect for those around you.

In my opinion the idea of having the contest in a predominately Muslim neighborhood, carries the view, it's purpose was to blatantly insult.

but, I do wish more people would notice. No member of the Garland community took part in any protesting or aggression. iN FACT NOT ONE OF THE 421,972 Muslims living in Texas took part in this atrocity
I agree that in a civilized society we should show respect for those around us. However, I question whether having the contest, even in a Muslim neighborhood, was nothing more than an effort to insult.

It would have been blatant insult if these cartoons had been mounted on billboards throughout the community (tho probably still protected speech). However, its my impression, and pls correct me if Im wrong, that this was a private event, and no one was subjected to the images against their will. The insult then appears to be not the images themselves, but the fact that others drew them and were viewing them? Is it an insult to Islam if I sit in my room and draw cartoons of the Prophet, even if I only show them to my friends? If the answer is yes, then there is your basic disconnect between Islam and American values.

It looks to me like the organizers chose that area to make the point that the applicability of the First Amendment does not depend on the ethnic makeup of the community, or on how "safe" it may be to express oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events