Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,744,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
The man is very successful because he knows it takes more than bravado to broker deals in NYC, as well as other parts of the world. I'm confident he would be able to work with both sides of the aisle as well as negotiate with heads of other countries. I'm sure he has more international savvy than most of the candidates, plus I like the idea that he's not beholden to lobbyists or special interest groups.

To all the empty nay-sayers, you don't have to like his hair, or his decorating taste, or even his personality, in order to be convinced he'd make a great president.
He's 'successful' because he started with a big pot of money from his dad and dwindled it to a small pot of money through his ineptitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 09:38 PM

922 posts, read 808,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
He's 'successful' because he started with a big pot of money from his dad and dwindled it to a small pot of money through his ineptitude.
Yep, a lot of people don't realize how many so called billionaires are just products of nepotism and dumb luck. I don't think entrepreneurs deserve any respect at all.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:59 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,446,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
You said the law made illegal immigration and hiring an illegal immagrant a felony. I said a single bill. Perhaps I should have emphasized a bill that only dealt with hiring illegal immigrants and nothing else. Making illegal immigration a felony is just begging the democrats to object. It makes me wounder if the republicans designed the bill to get maximum democratic opposition. In fact it is already illegal to hire an illegal immigrant since they don't have the vorrect documentation to work. You could simply create an enormously heavy fine against any business or individual that hires people under the table. I am talking about a $20,000 per violation fine. You could even talk up how the increased fine will keep employers from hiring people under the table and therefore depriving them legal retaliation when the employer mistreats them. Labor would love this. It would fracture the democratic coalition. Instead republicans would just add just enough poison to the bill to keep democratic opposition solidified against the bill. I don't care if Democrats are worse on illegal immigration. They don't campaign against it so why would I exspect them to be effective in combating it. However republican constantly campaign against and are bad at combating it. Personally I believe they see it as a way to galvanize their base but have no real desire to combat it.
I agree with your last sentence, but that doesn't alter the fact that they have been more opposed to it than the Democrats.

Right now, illegal immigration is just a civil infraction. It becomes a little more serious -- maybe a misdemeanor -- if it is repeated.

Making it a felony (not just for the illegals, but their employers as well) was a bold step and the Democrats turned it down. They could have supported it, but they refused. They could have accepted Republican amendments to toughen the most recent immigration bill in the Senate, but they refused.

Are you beginning to see the picture? If you want something done to curb illegal immigration, the Democrats aren't about to do it. Most Republicans aren't either. But then we have Trump, who will at least propose tough action.

So you have three choices. To the question, "Will you do something serious to curb illegal immigration," there are three answers.

Democrat Answer: "Absolutely not! Fuggeddaboudit!"

Mainstream Republican Answer: "Uh, could we talk about something else?"

Trump Answer: "I'll build a wall on the border and make Mexico pay for it."

I go with Trump.

Last edited by dechatelet; 06-30-2015 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Freaking awesome post.

Problem is, I think most Republicans know this, and just don't care.
You think we should have an economist running the country instead of a businessman?

Two things to consider:

First, economists disagree with each other, and they can be neatly divided by their political ideology.

In other words, their "science" offers no clear answers.

They are like weather forecasters -- but less reliable.

Second, economists rarely put their money where their mouths are.

Trump, on the other hand, has succeeded in business.

Yes, he had help. Yes, he declared bankrupcy (not uncommon in the business world), but in the end he is successful.

He has succeeded in a difficult business, dealt with politicans and political opposition, and dealt with world leaders.

He doesn't hide behind euphemisms, you can't buy him, he fights back, and he doesn't speak from a script.

He is a man of the world, and much more of a self-made man than the affirmative action community organizer that we now have in the White House.

It is Trump's very success that most offends liberals.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Actually the opposite is true.

Not that facts are of any interest to liberals.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:56 PM

46,995 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Trump Answer: "I'll build a wall on the border and make Mexico pay for it."

I go with Trump.
Unless he's willing to go into specifics on how to get Mexico to pay for it, he might as well say "I'll have invisible unicorns build a wall on the border."

Old 07-01-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Unless he's willing to go into specifics on how to get Mexico to pay for it, he might as well say "I'll have invisible unicorns build a wall on the border."
At this point, all he has to do is as much as he has already done in order to put him WAY ahead of the other candidates, who either won't talk about the issue or who clearly do not want to crack down on illegal immigration.

Just saying what he said resulted in his Miss Universe Pageant being cancelled by Univision and NBC severing all ties with him. He knew there would be blowback, but he went ahead and said it anyway.

What political and financial risks have the other candidates taken with regard to this issue?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,588,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Decent? Their first act is to thumb their noses at our immigration laws. If they are fleeing for safety then they could apply for a refugee status. Most illegals coming here are coming to take jobs and resources from Americans not fleeing any unsafe conditions.
painting jobs, gardeners, roofing work, hanging out at Home Depot for odd manual jobs is not taking a lot of work from Americans unless those are jobs our young teens will do in the summer or after school. The illegals are not becoming investment bankers, going to med school, doing your home loan, teaching your kids a physcial ed class, or a flipping burger job. I am not against what Trump said especially when he said the bad ones trekking across our borders are rapists, and trafficking drugs. It is true.
Nicaragua, El Savador and other parts of Central America have some of the worst conditions worldwide for teens so they are fleeing but doing it the wrong way. YES, our borders still need to be secured. I've seen parts of Phoenix and El Paso you'd never want to live in unless you like the scenery of poor parts of Mexico. If they don't secure it soon, it is only going to get worse. More peole (iilegals or not) only means more crime based on statistics.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,403,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Actually the opposite is true.

Not that facts are of any interest to liberals.
His father, Fred Trump, was worth about $250 million by the time he died. So you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:09 AM

36,587 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
painting jobs, gardeners, roofing work, hanging out at Home Depot for odd manual jobs is not taking a lot of work from Americans unless those are jobs our young teens will do in the summer or after school. The illegals are not becoming investment bankers, going to med school, doing your home loan, teaching your kids a physcial ed class, or a flipping burger job. I am not against what Trump said especially when he said the bad ones trekking across our borders are rapists, and trafficking drugs. It is true.
Reality check. Not every American goes to college or becomes an investment banker, doctor, lawyer, teacher. There is nothing wrong with honest labor and plenty of people make their living in construction, landscaping, home maintenance, cleaning services, food service, factory jobs, etc. These are adults with or without families as well as high school and college students and the semi retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events