Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM

438 posts, read 653,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
lol, well what u heard was wrong.
I'm a native English speaker in Miami and I have a job.... a good one at that, so clearly, what you're hearing is wrong.

Just because you're scared of learning another language does not mean the rest of us are. I am able to communicate with and form relationships with so many more people than u ever will. I'm all for bilingualism and support Spanish becoming one of the languages we continue to speak. I love speaking it and enjoy being able to communicate with so many different kinds of people I would have otherwise never known.

You, unfortunately will never understand that, but that's not my problem.
Optimus, I'm also in south Florida and I have to ad that your situation is exceptional. Most jobs in Miami will not consider you as a serious candidate unless you speak Spanish or Creole (depending on where in Miami). Heck, some of them won't even consider hiring you if you're not Hispanic. I've heard of that happening a lot, too. Most of the white people who used to live in Miami are long gone. And many of the blacks who used to live there have moved to Broward.

I agree with you that its good to have bilingual skills, but most other Americans feel that people who immigrate to America should embrace American culture rather than try to efface it with their own.---which sorta makes sense. Why bother to move here to live if you love your country, culture, and language so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
As a bilingual speaker, I find that Spanish is a much more logical language than English, tbh. And unlike English, it has commonalities with other languages.

I think that's why monoglot English speakers panic at the idea of learning another language. There are none that are *grammatically* very similar to English. Unlike most languages, English has no consistent conjugations, cases, declensions, tones, honorifics, etc. So their brains are not primed to handle a language with a real system, consistency and structure.

Instead, English mostly has to be learned by rote. And there's such a vast vocabulary that it takes forever to teach/master, at the expense of being able to learn other languages.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:13 PM

438 posts, read 653,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
As a bilingual speaker, I find that Spanish is a much more logical language than English, tbh. And unlike English, it has commonalities with other languages.

I think that's why monoglot English speakers panic at the idea of learning another language. There are none that are *grammatically* very similar to English. Unlike most languages, English has no consistent conjugations, cases, declensions, tones, honorifics, etc. So their brains are not primed to handle a language with a real system, consistency and structure.

Instead, English mostly has to be learned by rote. And there's such a vast vocabulary that it takes forever to teach/master, at the expense of being able to learn other languages.

Balderdash! Spanish is more logical to you perhaps because it is your first or preferred language.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
These are the kind of comments where you know it's being written by someone who has no clue about a community.

And you would be very wrong.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Obviously, you don't know anything about:

Dutch
German
French
Latin
Greek

...just to name a few.

Here's how English is related to other modern spoken languages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germanic_languages

Seriously.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:29 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain
Embrace the melting pot that is the U.S.A.!
People have spoken Spain in "The USA" way before anybody spoke English here.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:40 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I didn't say it was ok but to only demonize the European settlers for what the so-called natives were doing also is hypocritical.
I'm not intending to demonize the European settlers. I am trying to point out that the descendants of people who robbed and murdered and stole the land from other people now complaining about immigration is more than a little hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not so hundreds of years ago where there were no established governments or immigration laws.
"But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual." (Thomas Jefferson)

Old 06-30-2015, 01:41 PM

70 posts, read 67,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
Balderdash! Spanish is more logical to you perhaps because it is your first or preferred language.
Balderdash

Tremendous word that is woefully under used. You have a new little slice of green pie for using it.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
And you would be very wrong.
LOL, no.

You sound like a non-Spanish speaker who gets nervous that other people know other languages.

Your delusional idea that no one in Miami speaks English because it is majority Latino is completely, utterly absurd. English language is absolutely required for success in Miami. Miami is an English-speaking city, just like any big city in the U.S. It just happens to have tons of Latinos who also speak Spanish.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
It is time to declare our official language as English.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events