Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:26 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times

Advertisements

Why do people feel that she should suffer because of what her brother did? If people are nice enough to donate - let them donate. This girl has one life to live and that's her own - for most girls their wedding/honeymoon is one of the most important days in their life. Bringing hurt into the world of those connected to Roof isn't going to give anyone revenge. Should all people take down their GoFundMe page if their situation isn't as bad as what happened in Charleston? How dare thousands of people use frivolous reasons to ask for money in the wake of what happened in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 12:05 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Why do people feel that she should suffer because of what her brother did? If people are nice enough to donate - let them donate. This girl has one life to live and that's her own - for most girls their wedding/honeymoon is one of the most important days in their life. Bringing hurt into the world of those connected to Roof isn't going to give anyone revenge. Should all people take down their GoFundMe page if their situation isn't as bad as what happened in Charleston? How dare thousands of people use frivolous reasons to ask for money in the wake of what happened in SC.
She's far from the first to make a dumb gofundme page. Or ask for donations.. Hell, around Christmas, there were all kinds on my facebook page.. "Donate so I can send my sister and her kids to an indoor waterpark for Christmas".. It's all just mass-marked panhandling.

I won't crucify her for being upset about having to cancel her wedding.. And won't for her attempt to recoup some of the costs.. At least, I have no more disdain for her than Hollywood celebrities doing the same to fund a movie.

I certainly wouldn't have given her any money. And, her choice of wording on her online sandwich board could have been a whole lot better. Sure she didn't intend it, but it certainly came off as an "oh, poor me" thing.

My thoughts on it.. Summed up like this

Old 07-03-2015, 12:09 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And that is why she canceled her original wedding date.
Then put out the money tin, no different than someone standing at a street corner begging, only less work.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:23 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,778,062 times
Default Dear Miss Manners... (as imagined by Gloria)

Dear Miss Manners,

Can you help me craft an elegant and correct public appeal to strangers around the world, whom I expect to send me money for my 'Fairytale Wedding', 'Perfect Day', and 'Dream Honeymoon'? Gitting married the rite way is not just the most important thing in my life: it is the only important thing in my life.

You see, my entire worldview is derived from reading Modern Bride, Watching fine movies on the Lifetime Channel, Reading Barbie Magazine and Walt Disney World Magazine (Where better, to learn what to expect, while ascending to my 'True Station in Life', as a fairytale princess?), and watching such fine TLC Channel programming as A Wedding Story.

We (OK, I) had "our" Perfect Day planned out perfectly. The flowers were already bought. The venue was paid-for. I had a really great bust-enhancing strapless gown, that made me look totally hot, particularly after I'd spent a month building-up a 'sizzling summer tan', at one of South Carolina's most chick tanning salons. My har was streaked just perfect, my nails was growed-out total elegant and lacquered fit-to-kill. Folks had flown in from as far away as Alabama, to view my pageant-like wedding, and see me whisked off in a stretch limo, to "Our Nite of Love", in fabulous, throbbing, Myrtle Beach, before we made our way to our "Rock-lined Love Cave (with the giant champagne glass Jacuzzi and the heart-shaped red fur "Love Bed" I been dreaming of since seven-years-old) " in the Poconos, which was to be only a prelude to our, real, main "All-inclusive Dream Honeymoon", at Scandals Resort, in Jamaica.

We don't "do drugs". But I'm sure you used to roll up fat ones and "smoke" a bit, "to unwind", now didn't you, Miss Manners? I hope you won't be a "hater" and judge me for it. It don't make me crazy or stupid. And it don't make nobody in my family crazy or stupid. Honest! So, picking Jamaica, instead of Bermuda or Bora Bora, because smoking material is cheaper there, is MY BUSINESS. So yes: we was booked for a week at Scandals Couples-only Resort; package to include:
. Shuttle from Airport, in that 2001 Rolls Royce what's in the TV ads
. Surf & Turf dinner, with one each complementary roll, beverage, & choice from Dessert Cart
. Carnation, daisy, palm leaf, & rose, in white glass Bridal Keepsake Bud Vase, upon check-in
. One chocolate per pillow: please specify which nite
. Champagne delivered to room: please specify "Special Love Nite"

But then, my little brother had to go and ruin it for me. Why do these things always happen to ME? My kid brother (We'll call him "Dylann") went up in some church, and shot-up a bunch of people. His timing could not have been worse. He could have done it AFTER we'd got married and left town. He could nave done it while there was still time to get refunds on all that wedding stuff and travel reservations. But NOOOOOOO! I think he did it just to ruin my Perfect Day.

I should have thought twice about reporting him. But I've been telling on him all his life, and so it's kinda just second nature to me. I was dialing that hotline before my good sense come to me. And now... well... you can see how much trouble it's caused. Why do I have to be the victim in this story? In the past, I got rewarded for snitching on "Dylann", and I don't think this is the appropriate time for the rules to git changed on me.

We had to cancel the wedding, because of all the so-called "reporters" and the so-called "death threats". Our Preacher wouldn't do it. Our relatives flew back to Alabama. Because of that "Paparazzi", I couldn't even git to the tanning salon, or go git my arm hairs "sugared-away". The wedding was OFF. Instead of gitting rewarded for snitching, I've had my life made a living h-word.

Now, I know you're one of those fancy Yankee rich people, and probably have had savings accounts and "investment portfolios" and piggy banks and such-as. You'd use that as backup, in case of disaster. But I'm South Carolina White Trash. Our idea of an "investment" is saving up for a big-giant wedding. Aside from Football and beauty pageants, what else matters in life? And no: we haven't started so-called "trust funds" for our unborn children. So, we can't raid those. We don't own no so-called "investment properties", neither. But we (he... that guy I'm going to marry) DID have eighty seven thousand Dollars, to make my dream wedding a reality. " First things first!", is whut my Mama taught me: "Uh girl don't need ta worry about nothin' in life, but a big fancy weddin' an' a big, fancy kitchen with thuh Black Bahia Granite countertops. All else is just earthly vanities."

So, you see, the most important part of my life, my stage for showing off my hot tan and new lumineers, has been left UNFUNDED. I deserve to be rewarded for snitching on "Dylann", just as I has always been. My only hope, now, for having my 'Perfect Day', 'Perfect Wedding', and 'Dream Honeymoon', is in depending upon the kindness of strangers. Please help me word my appeal for money, according to the most fancy and proper etiquette.

Grateful yours,
Princess Amber (aka 'Sister Snitch')

_______
The above is a totally fictional dramatization, for purposes of edification, by Gloria vanSnootenhorn, a pseudonymous personality.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Why do people feel that she should suffer because of what her brother did? If people are nice enough to donate - let them donate.
Better question. Why do you feel that she should profit from what her brother did?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:32 AM

563 posts, read 524,560 times
I cannot believe this is even getting covered. Their wedding day is not the issue. The issue is that a close relative killed 9 innocent people. News flash: This could have negative consequences for any upcoming social events. I think that they should cancel things for now or at least substantially delay any displays of celebration in respect to the families of those who lost their lives in this atrocity.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:05 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
He ruined a LOT of people's LIVES!
I think this bears repeating "HE RUINED" a lot of people's lives.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:37 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,656,743 times
Why not get married at the jail house?
And dance in the yard.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:54 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,336,386 times
If she could afford the wedding she can afford to pay the costs associated with cancelling.

I'm not sorry her "special day" got ruined. Weddings are fun and great but in our society it's become more about having an awesome party than it is about the marriage and the love and lifelong commitment of that day.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have a party I'm just saying if she really wants to marry him she can still do that. It's the marriage vows that should be the most important not the party.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
I was all prepared to dislike this woman, thinking she was shallow, but then I read in that link that she was the one who turned in her Brother based on film she saw. Without her, he might still be out there.

But I do think asking for money is tacky at best.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events