Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:51 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,077,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I wouldn't give two ****s about ANY of this if she hadn't started a GofundMe page when all of the victims her brother slaughtered hadn't even been buried yet.
I think she was justified in starting a GoFundMe. Maybe not at that moment: it should have been two months later or something.

Quote:
Please don't tell me how I should feel or that my feelings are wrong.

Feelings are never wrong.
Feelings are wrong sometimes and you should understand and accept that.

Example time: Remember 9/11? Let's say you were talking to your neighbor Nora, and this was right after 9/11, and she candidly said "I don't give a **** about the 9/11 victims, I just want to plant my garden." Those are her candid feelings. Is she smart for saying them? No. She should have kept her mouth shut.

Sometimes *feelings are wrong* and being an adult is knowing when to not say something. There is honesty, and then there's bad honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 04:39 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Better question. Why do you feel that she should profit from what her brother did?
She only profits if people want to donate. What I feel is irrelevant.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:12 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,278,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This woman turned her brother in to the police. If she had not called the Charleston PD to let them know who the shooter was, he would not have been caught so fast, if at all. She did the right thing. Anyone dumping on this poor woman should hope they are never put into a similar situation.

So I won't criticize her for what she does with her private life. She deserves to be left alone.
But when she puts up a GoFundMe page to solicit donations from strangers, it ceases to be her private life.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:32 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,655,360 times
I think we all need to stop and remember that her wedding day has been something she has been planning and looking forward to for probably a year. Up until this point, it was probably the single most important event in her life. They would have had to pay for the venue and vendors in full already and we don't know how hard they may have had to work/save in order for the wedding to even be planned. I worked in the wedding industry for 9 years and it's a very stressful and exciting time for couples, but probably even more for the bride. To have your wedding day ruined by such a tragic event is tragic within itself and I can guarantee you for her to deal with that and knowing what her brother did was heart breaking. She did not commit a crime people, she didn't cause any of this to happen. She did cancel her wedding due to the loss of lives at the hands of her brother, so can we give her a break. The gofundme page probably wasn't in the best taste since people lost their lives, but let's remember, she didn't know these people personally. People are killed every day, but that doesn't affect most of us nor does it turn our lives upside down or cancel our plans. I'm just really surprised to see the hate some of you are giving this girl.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:04 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
While I tend to feel bad for her "Dream Wedding Plans (Costs)" has been shattered because of her brother's actions Asking the public via "Go Fund Me" site was a really tacky move! I'd bet she and her fiancé are out of pocket a whole load of $$$.

But after thinking about it..Maybe her daddy could help her out since he is the one who funded her brother's tool of destruction. His birthday gift of Cash paid for that Gun (weapon). That's IF he feels partially responsible for enabling his disaffected, loose cannon of a son to unravel into a full-blown radical Race Hater.

Maybe she should get some sort of reward from the Police. It may help her out.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Why do people feel that she should suffer because of what her brother did? If people are nice enough to donate - let them donate. This girl has one life to live and that's her own - for most girls their wedding/honeymoon is one of the most important days in their life. Bringing hurt into the world of those connected to Roof isn't going to give anyone revenge. Should all people take down their GoFundMe page if their situation isn't as bad as what happened in Charleston? How dare thousands of people use frivolous reasons to ask for money in the wake of what happened in SC.
Well Eddie, here's how you handle it(or try to handle it) when a family member does something horrific like this.

Lesson #1, you go low key. In other words you don't draw more attention to the situation or yourself.

Lesson #2, following Lesson #1 may keep you safe, from some nut so angry over what your family member did that they come after you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I was all prepared to dislike this woman, thinking she was shallow, but then I read in that link that she was the one who turned in her Brother based on film she saw. Without her, he might still be out there.

But I do think asking for money is tacky at best.

Don
Her brother was quite vocal about his feelings, and what his plans were. She should have turned him in earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This woman turned her brother in to the police. If she had not called the Charleston PD to let them know who the shooter was, he would not have been caught so fast, if at all. She did the right thing. Anyone dumping on this poor woman should hope they are never put into a similar situation.

So I won't criticize her for what she does with her private life. She deserves to be left alone.
Private life? You mean going online and drawing more attention to yourself? Asking for money?

How is that private?

If we were talking about someone attacking this woman who was trying to keep a low profile because of what her brother did I would agree with you. As in she was staying inside her home and people were standing outside her house shouting or trying to harm her.

But that's not what we're talking about.

She brought this on herself.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:47 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well Eddie, here's how you handle it(or try to handle it) when a family member does something horrific like this.

Lesson #1, you go low key. In other words you don't draw more attention to the situation or yourself.

Lesson #2, following Lesson #1 may keep you safe, from some nut so angry over what your family member did that they come after you and your family.
That's your opinion. She's an individual (that has committed no crime as far as I know) and she can go low key or high key. Some people will be outraged if she EVER does anything that draws attention to herself.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:48 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,077,459 times
I would like to see if somebody's written a guide on "what to do if your family member does something unthinkable." I really do think such a thing would be very useful... just download it and follow what it says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

If it was a country like Germany, which criminalizes Neo-Nazism, she could have turned him in. In the USA simply stating a belief that black people are inferior is not a crime. One has to commit a crime before one can turn him in.

Quote:
Her brother was quite vocal about his feelings, and what his plans were. She should have turned him in earlier.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
That's your opinion. She's an individual (that has committed no crime as far as I know) and she can go low key or high key. Some people will be outraged if she EVER does anything that draws attention to herself.
No, that's the way you handle yourself. If you have any smarts.

And you certainly don't draw attention to yourself less than two weeks after the incident occurred.

BTW, how did her approach work out for her? Not so good huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I would like to see if somebody's written a guide on "what to do if your family member does something unthinkable." I really do think such a thing would be very useful... just download it and follow what it says.

If it was a country like Germany, which criminalizes Neo-Nazism, she could have turned him in. In the USA simply stating a belief that black people are inferior is not a crime. One has to commit a crime before one can turn him in.
He did more than talk about black people being inferior. He was very verbal about what he planned on doing. He told a few people about this, how they sleep at night, I don't know. They had an opportunity to possibly prevent this and did nothing.

A man just turned his son for wanting to join ISIS and verbalized what he planned on doing about a week ago. While it can't be easy to do that, better to say something before the event occurs.

And you certainly don't buy a gun for someone like him, as the parents did.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:07 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,278,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Communicating threats is a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events